Anybody seen a good film recently?

Persuit of Happyness. Great movie. Will Smith was incredible, plot was ungodly, and the writing in general couldn't have been more real or perfect. How something is both real and perfect I don't know, but it did it. I would go see that movie again and probably will.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw Courage Under Fire (also here) in video.

It is a powerful movie about guilt, redemption, cowardice and courage. Wonderful. Forget about comparisons to the Japanese flick, Rashōmon, which many people like to comment on all over the Internet because of the change in perspective gimmick. They are just trying to sound highfalutin. That gimmick has been used many times before in Hollywood anyway.

The films are as different as night and day. Rashōmon was made to prove that objective reality cannot be known because of our different perspectives. You never learn what really happened. Courage Under Fire holds that objective reality does exist and that we can know it. When accounts differ, sometimes people hide it or lie in order to hide the ugly parts of themselves from others. The most stirring quote in the movie is given by Denzel Washington:

I think that in order to honor a soldier like Karen Walden, we have to tell the truth, General, about what happened over there. The whole... hard... cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country.

Another quote (this time going from memory) is when the father of the person Serling had accidentally killed heard his emotionally charged confession, he told Serling that he (Serling) has been carrying a huge burden and one day he will have to put that burden down. What a moment! What a beautiful manner to express forgiveness!

Michael

Mike:

~ What you say about 'comparisons' 'twixt Rashomon and Courage Under Fire, no argument: the 'comparisons' are really superficial; totally agreed. Ntl, the 'interpretation' you give re Rashomon I really have to quibble with. I'd merely say that such represents what a jury has to go through in deciding an existence of guilt (or not) based on nothing but what 'others' argue. It WAS a worthwhile (as all Kurosawa's have been) movie to watch; at least (as all his have been) for its 'thought-provokingness.'

~ Regardless, Courage Under Fire was itself a good (down 'similar', though not 'identical' lines as Rashomon) movie; more concerned from a 'Columbo'-esque aspect, though, with a clear cut 'conclusion.'

LLAP

J:D

P.S: Finding Forrester WAS a great movie; sorry I hadn't mentioned it in any earlier movie-commentings.

Edited by John Dailey

Addendum:

I find Kurosawa's Rashomon more akin to (if not 'based on'[!]) the old high-school (who's not familiar with this?) 'required' story-reading of Stockton's (1882) Lady Or The Tiger? --- A 'sense-of-life' aspect seems to apply to both, re one's own decision-making (if any), quite akin to Rand's...obviously later (but more blatantly 'sense-of-life' oriented)... Night Of January 16th.

LLAP

Edited by John Dailey

*The Holiday* (2006). I was pleasantly surprised to find that this was a worthwhile and entertaining movie, mainly because of a combination of good writing and acting. The trailers made it look like just another dumb romantic comedy and I am getting a bit tired of Cameron Diaz, so I was not overly excited about going to see it. But it was about the only English language movie in Bangkok on Christmas Day that we had not yet seen.

It was written and directed very intelligently by Nancy Meyers. Kate Winslet is truly fantastic in her role and Jude Law never disappoints, but it was Eli Wallach who was a pleasure to see in a smaller role as an old Hollywood screenwriter. Actor Wallach is 90 years old but still has lots of “gumption.” The short scene of a Hanukkah celebration by three old veterans of the golden age of Hollywood was great, and the whole subplot with Wallach’s character is charming. Jack Black, Rufus Sewell and Edward Burns round out the cast. Diaz seems to have top billing, but the movie is good despite her.

I often love good scenery shots in films and this one showed off the English countryside beautifully. Great films of the past are honored in the dialogues, and Black’s character says some interesting things about film music scores. The movie had some very touching surprises in many ways.

Romantic comedies are usually good date movies and/or feel-good movies, and this one is tailor-made for the holiday season. I still feel good after seeing it 5 hours ago (Indochina Time). Not bad at all.

-Ross Barlow.

Ross; Someone else gave The Holiday a good review but I always like a second opinion. May I extend to you a Merry Christmas and thank you for your contributions to Objectivist Living. :):)

Edited by Chris Grieb

• 3 weeks later...

~ Blackhorse brought up The Illusionist as worthy of mention. I dunno about 'best movie of the year,' but, finally caught it on DVD and I'll admit it's beautifully romantic, in all senses of the word; plus, it'll keep you guessing. Definitely a 'date' flick.

~ I'm not a fan of Norton's picks of movies generally, but, he IS good in his parts; but this is, especially for those 'romantically' inclined (and, who like 'mysteries' ["How'd he DO that?"], and magician stuff), one I definitely 2nd the motion in recommending as a 'no-miss.' --- Nothing like watching a power-holding power-luster outmaneuvered by a very knowledgeable intellect; better than a well-done martial-arts choreography.

Mike (SK):

~ Given what you've said down this line, you might find this movie interesting with it's 'crowd-manipulation' technique Norton's character used-> motivate rumors to grow in a 'mob' (or, 'wolf-pack', if you will.)

LLAP