The Cowboys

~ Seen it when it came out ('72-'73) and thought it clearly 'different' then. Now, I must say it IS absolutely unique, both as a 'western' AND, especially, as a 'coming-of-age' story (for boys only, unfortunately; but hey: this WAS 'the West' of the times.) More a coming-of-age type than STAND BY ME or THE SANDLOT, it is (though they were worthwhile, in their own ways); much, much, more. -- Just caught it (again) 'cause my wife, a Wayne fan, said she hadn't heard of this one (!!??) and I picked it up.

~ Pre-15 'kids' murdering adults, Roscoe Lee Brown being called a 'nigger' enough times to make all NAACP members wince (this was '72), 'kids' risking their lives for a few dollars more (for their families) and one dying in a situation that nowadays would be a blood-scent for lawsuit happy relatives...they don't make movies like this anymore...about 'kids', anyways.

LLAP

J:D

Addendum:

~ I take my last comment back. There WAS '94's FRESH, but, that was more than a decade ago re a real, non-syrupy 'coming-of-age' ('kid'-to-adult) story. --- Just as good as THE COWBOYS, btw, though urban-ghetto and not (exactly[!]) 'western'.

LLAP

J:D