The New Individualist - Winter 2006 Issue

I just received my copy of The New Individualist - Winter 2006 Issue. I have read the whole thing and it is one hell of a good read.

Here is the Table of Contents:

Where is Today's Mrs. Miniver? by Michelle Marder Kamhi

Attention Hollywood: Are you morally capable of producing the kind of patriotic films about the war against the terrorist that your illustrious predecessors made during World War II?

The Jihad Against Free Speech by Edward L. Hudgins

The violent demonstrations by radical Islamists against the appearance of Danish cartoons depicting Muhammad - and apologetic Western calls for "sensitivity" - reveal a philosophical abdication that threatens our freedom of expression.

When Does Speech Become Treason? by Henry Mark Holzer

Is there a point at which mere political advocacy falls under the Constitution's definition of "treason against the United States"? A noted constitutional law attorney explores the outer boundaries of free speech.

How Individual is Human Nature? by Roger Donway

Evolutionary psychologists argue that something wired into human nature propels many people to act altruistically. Roger Donway examines the evidence.

Individualism Meets Pulp Fiction by Lou Villadsen

"Greedy businessmen" are routine villains on TV and in movies. But not everywhere. Have you checked out the romance novels at your local grocery?

Infiltration: How Muslim Spies and Subversives Have Penetrated Washington

reviewed by Ilana Mercer

Columnist Ilana Mercer explains why we should pay attention to an incendiary new book by investigative journalist Paul Sperry

Joan Kennedy Taylor Remembered by Duncan Scott

Film producer Duncan Scott offers a tribute to an American original, a woman who was a pioneer in the early Objectivist movement.

Cartoon Journalists by Robert James Bidinotto

The cowardly appeasement of Islamist thugs by the Western media during the Danish cartoon episode reveals a betrayal both professional and philosophical.

Michael

"Where is Today's Mrs. Miniver? by Michelle Marder Kamhi

Attention Hollywood: Are you morally capable of producing the kind of patriotic films about the war against the terrorist that your illustrious predecessors made during World War II?"

Is Michelle Marder Kamhi suggesting that artists should create art to serve a primarily utilitarian function -- that of rallying the public to support a specific current political strategy?

J

Jonathan,

That's a very good question. I got the impression that the article was more of a rant against the USA bashing coming out of Hollywood these days (probably from the enormous income from foreign theater and DVD/Video distribution) as opposed to WWII days.

Still, it should be stated clearly that the purpose of an art work is to be an art work, not propaganda.

Michael

Still, it should be stated clearly that the purpose of an art work is to be an art work, not propaganda.

The purpose of art is not purely propaganda, but art is most certainly a form of communication. It expresses ideas and values. I'll admit that my views on art do not match the typical Objectivist view, as I consider most forms of visual communication as art. I have a BFA in Advertising and Design and so I tend to look for an underlying message, and sometimes it is propoganda. To me, if it is visually stimulating, it is art; if it speaks a message, it is art. Art is expression and it can express political ideas as well as other ideas including emotion, beauty, history, heroism or sense of life.

Sometimes the purpose is political. Look at the painting Liberty or those controversial political cartoons. Even We the Living talked about making art for the purpose of promoting communism. Like I said, I cast a wide net when it comes to art, and I consider illustration, including political cartoons, a valid artform.

Back to the article...Although I have not seen the movie, Mrs. Miniver, I believe the author was speaking to a need for a rallying of public support in a time of war. People were moved by this movie and we don't have something now that can drum up support for the cause. We don't have a strong hero either in real life or the movies like they did in that generation. She is asking, "What ever happened to patriotism?" That is a good question.

Kat

Kitten,

The purpose of art is contemplation. Any extra message it contains (like advertising or propaganda) is just that: extra. The extra message is not essential to it being art.

Jonathan's question was basically asking whether an expert on Rand's aesthetics (Kamhi wrote a book on it) was missing the mark here. She didn't, but when you mix politics with art, you come close. That's why it's a good idea to remember the basics.

btw - I think you'll discover over time that your view of art isn't all that different than the Objectivist one in fundamentals. (Rand's particular artistic tastes are another subject entirely.)

Michael