let me introduce myself

gondt

Nice to meet you.

Few words about me: I'm mainly interested in writings of Nathaniel Branden on psychology, which connects with objectivism. I've never read a book by Rand.

Things I've already read from Branden are ones that influenced my thinking the most.

I'm currently interested in self development.

Hope I'll learn something here.

PS

If I make a language error - feel free to correct me. English is my secondary language, I'm Polish.

thanks for a response

Chris

I read Branden both in Polish and English. I listen to his audiobooks as well.

Kori

I think that "The Six Pillars of Self Esteem" is worth a read, as it sums up his most important observations.

Judith

Both of these dishes are tasty :)

Michael

I don't exclude reading one of her books. Time will tell.

Tom,

What a coincidence, I happen to own Six Pillars. I've read a bit of it and I gather that it's very good (but I tend to be a spaz and jump from book to book, so I'm reading about 5 books at the same time). I'd like to read The Art of Living Consciously as well.

Tom,

What a coincidence, I happen to own Six Pillars. I've read a bit of it and I gather that it's very good (but I tend to be a spaz and jump from book to book, so I'm reading about 5 books at the same time). I'd like to read The Art of Living Consciously as well.

I've been doing the sentence stem work in Six Pillars and have found it to be pretty useful. One side-effect is that the further I go with this work the more distant I feel from most of the people I deal with in daily life; I wonder where that's going to lead? But even without the stem-completion work there's much useful matter in the book.

Tom,

I've been doing the sentence stem work in Six Pillars and have found it to be pretty useful. One side-effect is that the further I go with this work the more distant I feel from most of the people I deal with in daily life; I wonder where that's going to lead? But even without the stem-completion work there's much useful matter in the book.

That's interesting. I'm curious, why does this sentence stem work keep you away from people?

I didn't done this practice though. I've noticed that practicing these pillars improved my relationships.

If you're interested in subconsciousness, there's a quite popular book "Blink". Despite it consists mainly of tales, you can get some useful information from it. Most people don't even realize how huge part subconscious thinking takes in their lives. It's a good thing to stay in touch with it, to know what influences your behavior. I think that if you abandon stem completion, you would just limit your awareness [can somebody tell me if I've used a proper conditional here, does it sound right?]. That's what I think.

Gondt;

There is another book called "Think". I would urge you read it also.

I hope when you read Rand you will compare the translation with the original. If you do would you tell us about the comparison.

Have you read any other free market thinker like Hayek, Friedman or Von Mises. While I was talking to someone from Poland who said he was familiar with Hayek.

Edited by Chris Grieb

That's interesting. I'm curious, why does this sentence stem work keep you away from people?

The simple answer is that I am beginning to change. It's not so much that I am kept away from people as that I no longer allow myself to be affected as strongly by them as I used to do. I am less willing to make allowances for the behavior of others; I am slower to irritation or anger; I have greater self-control.

I used to have a sort of knee-jerk unwillingness to judge others; now I find that, since I must see myself as I really am, then I must also see others as they really are, if that makes any sense. I am more able to admit when people are simply wasting my time or energy and pass them by - which is difficult when it's someone you've known for a long time or have to work with. And I have a very calm, aloof feeling about that; it's not a bad thing.

I don't find that it harms my few important personal relationships, though; if anything I am becoming more conscious about how I behave in these relationships and that's no bad thing either.

Edited by Richard Uhler

Chris: I'm currently interested in everything that may improve my everyday life - all kinds of self-development: self-motivation, self-discipline, self-esteem, social skills, etc. I'm not very into economy but I consider it as one of potential specialization of my studies (which I'm going to choose this week). I haven't read any of these writers.

Richard: I thought that by writing about feeling distant you meant alienated and that's what made me curious. You've written about things that are similar to those which happen to me. But still, I think that there's a long way ahead of me to fully embody all of the pillars of self-esteem.

Chris: I'm currently interested in everything that may improve my everyday life - all kinds of self-development: self-motivation, self-discipline, self-esteem, social skills, etc. I'm not very into economy but I consider it as one of potential specialization of my studies (which I'm going to choose this week). I haven't read any of these writers.

Richard: I thought that by writing about feeling distant you meant alienated and that's what made me curious. You've written about things that are similar to those which happen to me. But still, I think that there's a long way ahead of me to fully embody all of the pillars of self-esteem.

Eat right, rest well and exercise regularly. Avoid bad habits like too much booze, smoking and drugs. Self esteem will happen all by itself.

A healthy neurological system in a healthy body.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Edited by BaalChatzaf

Eat right, rest well and exercise regularly. Avoid bad habits like too much booze, smoking and drugs. Self esteem will happen all by itself.

A healthy neurological system in a healthy body.

Ba'al Chatzaf

This is good advice for anyone.