Stumping in the backyard

Kat

Now that the presidential campaign is underway someone suggested to us that we open up a special place on Objectivist Living to discuss the elections. I will be moving some related threads over to this section. Feel free to start threads to discuss, debate and promote your favorite political candidates.

** DISCLAIMER ***

The opinions expressed in this forum are those of the member posting. Posted comments do not necessarily imply agreement by Michael, myself, or any one affiliated with OL, ARI, TAS/TOC, or any other Objectivist organizations.

Step up on the stump. It's election time!

Kat

Kat; What can we do on this site? I hope people will talk about all sorts of things. I like to hear what the people on the site think is the biggest problem facing the country and the world.

It is pretty much up to you as far as what you want to post. I was thinking that people can talk about candidates, issues, and all the political talk that goes around. I know that many of you are more up to date on the polical scene than me and I'd like to follow the election from a fairly objectvist slant.

Kat

Let me chime in to thank Dustan (Aggrad02) for the suggestion of making this section.

Now people can stump for their candidate without throwing attention off on seasonal politics in other sections. For the upcoming presidential election, we can have libertarian supporters of Ron Paul, or one faction of Objectivism who wants Bush's boy (whoever that will be), or Peikoff followers who will probably want Hillary Clinton, or even those who say voting is immoral!

:)

Michael

Michael;

I think it is safe to say that I will comment from time to time in Stumping in the backyard.

To post an answer to my question about the biggest problem facing the country. It is militant followers of Islam who believe that it is right to kill Americans. It is not terrorism! Terrorism is a tacit or weapon. As someone as observed World War 2 was not against the Hinkel bomber but against the Nazi Germany.

Michael;

I think it is safe to say that I will comment from time to time in Stumping in the backyard.

To post an answer to my question about the biggest problem facing the country. It is militant followers of Islam who believe that it is right to kill Americans. It is not terrorism! Terrorism is a tacit or weapon. As someone as observed World War 2 was not against the Hinkel bomber but against the Nazi Germany.

Chris,

I haven't answered your original question yet because I want to formulate a very coherent answer that is complete as possible.

But as a preview, I think that militant followers of Islam is the second most pressing problem facing our country. The most important and dangerous problem facing our country is Statism, whether it is from the Democrats trying to socialize or the Neocons trying to authoritize. Militant Islam wouldn't be a problem for us if our past and current leaders were not meddling in their affairs. For example, communism is immoral and horrible, but look at the approach we have taken to China, we trade with them and we haven't had any threats to our safety nor to our ideas (because ours are superior), while they are opening up and becoming more capitalistic every day. If we would have taken the same approach in the Mid-East I am sure that we would not be having the problems we are today with radical islam and oil would be cheaper to boot.

Thanks,

Dustan

Edited by Aggrad02

Dustan;

One quick comment about the PRC. The PRC goes along with very little of Marx, Lenin and Mao.

In philosophical ideas the problems is not statism has it is pragmatism.

• 5 months later...
Michael;

Chris,

I haven't answered your original question yet because I want to formulate a very coherent answer that is complete as possible.

But as a preview, I think that militant followers of Islam is the second most pressing problem facing our country. The most important and dangerous problem facing our country is Statism, whether it is from the Democrats trying to socialize or the Neocons trying to authoritize. Militant Islam wouldn't be a problem for us if our past and current leaders were not meddling in their affairs. For example, communism is immoral and horrible, but look at the approach we have taken to China, we trade with them and we haven't had any threats to our safety nor to our ideas (because ours are superior), while they are opening up and becoming more capitalistic every day. If we would have taken the same approach in the Mid-East I am sure that we would not be having the problems we are today with radical islam and oil would be cheaper to boot.

Thanks,

Dustan

Both of you guys are half right but totally wrong. Statism is the symptom. Ethics is the cause.

A runny nose is the symptom of a cold infection. Treating it with tissues won't cure the disease.

Edited by RTB