50th Anniversary of Atlas Shrugged

Chris Grieb

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robert, et al., thanks for your kind words!

Here's the panel with Rob Bradley, Ed Snider, Ed Younkins and Robert Bidinotto!

pa060691b.jpg

Nice picture, Ed! The event, the turnout, the media coverage and the recent blockbuster TNI issues are the way professional activism is done. I look forward to the 2008 national launch of The New Individualist. Congrats to everyone at TAS!

Jim

Okay, folks...my photo-laden summary of The Atlas Society's 50th Anniversary Celebration of Atlas Shrugged is now posted online here.

Those of you who attended know how woefully inadequate these photos and comments are in capturing the event. But perhaps they will evoke in you some treasured memories.

Okay, folks...my photo-laden summary of The Atlas Society's 50th Anniversary Celebration of Atlas Shrugged is now posted online here.

Those of you who attended know how woefully inadequate these photos and comments are in capturing the event. But perhaps they will evoke in you some treasured memories.

From the reports and seeing comments from people online, I'm excited about the number of new people reached by this event. There's always been a core group of people to be seen at Summer Seminars, but it looks like many people attended their first Objectivist event in person. That's huge!

Jim

I just looked the wonderful pictures on Robert's blog. It was a great event. I have said before the best Objectivist event I have ever attended.
Ed and the TAS staff deserve nothing but praise.

I just looked the wonderful pictures on Robert's blog. It was a great event. I have said before the best Objectivist event I have ever attended.
Ed and the TAS staff deserve nothing but praise.

I agree. The real-time events reports and promotion are also top notch. In this day and age a potent web presence and real-time responsiveness are a must.

Jim

Edited by James Heaps-Nelson

I think the event went extremely well. I'd like to offer a big thank you to Ed Hudgins, and all of TAS, for organizing it!

I have a question for anyone who was there. As I recall, Ed Hudgins made a brief but interesting announcement about having talked with Yaron Brook. Does anyone else recall exactly what he said?

Thanks,

John

I have a question for anyone who was there. As I recall, Ed Hudgins made a brief but interesting announcement about having talked with Yaron Brook. Does anyone else recall exactly what he said?

John,

I also heard that (I think it was in the section on the future of the Objectivist movement). Ed, of course, can tell us much better what he said and meant (hint hint), but for the record, I am including this in my write-up. As I understand it, his message was that the time for working against one another in the Objectivist movement is ending. I do not remember him being specific about what the meeting covered.

Michael

Kyrel, Chris, Michael, Jim,

I'm so glad the first three of you participated and enjoyed the festivities, and I really appreciate Jim's enthusiasm for the results and influence that The Atlas Society have produced from this event and other recent successes.

And as you'll see shortly, we are not done in our efforts to publicize Ayn Rand and her great novel.

We've got two simultaneous threads going on the Atlas 50th event. Any chance that we can consolidate our posts into one or the other??

Robert,

Coming right up.

Unfortunately, the posts will become interspersed according to chronology, but from what I saw, this will not be any problem for understanding. (There is also a third thread announcing it. I may tack it on in a post at the end for the sake of completeness.)

Michael

Here is another small thread that announced the event. In doing this one, I am quoting instead of merging so the original thread is not deleted. But I see no issue needing to be fixed with this.

Michael

We've just received confirmation that the director and producers of the Atlas Shrugged movie project will be joining us at The Atlas Society's gala 50th anniversary celebration of the publication of Ayn Rand's epic novel, on October 6.

They will include Michael Burns, the vice chairman of Lionsgate studio, which is producing the film. With him will be producers Howard and Karen Baldwin, the team that gave us the Oscar-winning film Ray, as well as executive producer John Aglialoro, a trustee of The Atlas Society. Also expected is Vadim Perelman, director of House of Sand and Fog, who recently was tapped to direct the film of Rand's masterpiece.

They will provide up-to-the-minute news about the status of the project and its progress.

Details about the "Atlas 50th" event and registration information are posted on The Atlas Society's website.

At the celebration, a host of leading scholars, authors, and achievers will discuss the literary, philosophical, moral, economic, and political aspects of Atlas Shrugged and its impact on our world -- past, present, and future.

The keynote speakers are John Stossel of ABC's "20/20" show and noted scholar Charles Murray. Panel moderators will include Nigel Ashford of the Institute for Humane Studies; philosopher Douglas Rasmussen of St. John's University; John Fund of the Wall Street Journal; and Yours Truly. There will also be an afternoon reception nearby at the Cato Institute, featuring Barbara Branden and Nathaniel Branden, who will speak on their recollections of the writing and publication of the novel.

If your life and thinking were changed by Atlas Shrugged -- as mine was -- this is a day you won't want to miss.

When: Saturday, October 6, 2007, 8:00 am to 9:00 pm.

Conference and banquet location: Marriott Renaissance Hotel, 999 Ninth Street NW, Washington, D.C. 20001. Afternoon reception featuring Nathaniel Branden and Barbara Branden: The Cato Institute, 1000 Massachusetts Ave. N.W., Washington, D.C. 20001.

For the full program and registration information, visit the TAS website.

I hope to see you all there.

Robert; I have to wait a whole week for it. I am really looking forward to it.
Well, Chris, I have to wait for their news, too! It's not as if I have planted a bug in Angelina's boudoir, you know....
Robert; I'd want to be in Anglena's boudoir not some bug. Me!
Chris, I understand.

Also, I want to take the opportunity to tell the world: The rumors about Angelina and me are NOT true.

And I demand that all the papparazzi stop invading our privacy. Have they no SHAME?

~ Careful RB. You don't want to confirm 'rumors' by sounding like Niles (from FRASIER.)

:)

LLAP

J:D

I was just reflecting on the many criticisms to which The Atlas Society has been subjected.

And the thundering silence from the same critics about all of our many recent achievements.

Amusing.

Nothing better to silence the hostile crowd than a few well-executed touchdowns :-).

Jim

Doesn't matter what such obscure sites say or don't say about TAS.

The fact is that huge blogs like Michelle Malkin, Pajamas Media, and Captain's Quarters have all linked today to David Kelley's WSJ tribute to Rand's novel and to my blog report on the TAS Atlas 50th Celebration.

An additional fact is that major media outlets like the Wall Street Journal, the Washington Times, C-SPAN, the CBC (Canada), and many more are publishing, interviewing, citing, and reporting about us and our efforts.

The final fact to point out is that if a decent movie of Atlas Shrugged is made, it will be only because of the vision and dedication of TAS trustee John Aglialoro and of film co-producer and TAS founder David Kelley, who has been a script consultant from the beginning, trying to assure philosophical fidelity to the novel.

Doesn't matter what such obscure sites say or don't say about TAS.

The fact is that huge blogs like Michelle Malkin, Pajamas Media, and Captain's Quarters have all linked today to David Kelley's WSJ tribute to Rand's novel and to my blog report on the TAS Atlas 50th Celebration.

An additional fact is that major media outlets like the Wall Street Journal, the Washington Times, C-SPAN, the CBC (Canada), and many more are publishing, interviewing, citing, and reporting about us and our efforts.

The final fact to point out is that if a decent movie of Atlas Shrugged is made, it will be only because of the vision and dedication of TAS trustee John Aglialoro and of film co-producer and TAS founder David Kelley, who has been a script consultant from the beginning, trying to assure philosophical fidelity to the novel.

Robert's exactly right. The battle is not in the Objectivist community, but in the 10% of the population that should be sympathetic to Rand's message. If we reach them, we've won.

Jim