Does the "fact that life will end imbues life with vitality and meaning"

Matus1976

Not interested. If you have any real ideas to talk about, I might join in later. I will check in from time to time

There you are again with your condescending arrogance, as if I have not been discussing ideas all along. You are hung up on a few words, you either are making absolutely no effort to try to understand the very basic aspects of what I have said, are intentionally trying not to understand the most basic aspects of this, or are just looking for oppurnities to demonstrate your 'astounding' intellect. I have been discussing ideas throughout this thread, a particular idea, that death somehow makes life better, is the primary one here being discussed. You are hung up on countering some strange point I never even made. If *you* want to discuss ideas, then please do, but stop playing games.

That being said, either this miscommunication stems from 1) you not clearly explaining your ideas 2) you misinterpreting something i said initially and now being unwilling to acknowledge that mistake (playing games) 3) me not explaining my ideas clearly 4) me misinterprating something and being unwilling to fess up and move on, or 5) some various combination of these.

Well, I know 4 is not the case. SO if there is anyone else reading through this thread, can you share your opinion on this matter? Does anyone else know what MSK is trying to say here? Why this distinction between stating a fact and making a value judgement is being glossed over? If no one else knows what you are trying to say, than I think 1) is probably the most likely explanation, but hey, I'm certainly willing to admit 3 might be the case as well. Are any readers left confused on the point I am making?

Edited by Matus1976

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

About this thread

It seems to me that much consternation has arisen because some are referring to the real process

of dying and the disintegration of the body/brain that follows while others are referring to their personal concepts associated with Death. For those raised in a religious environment there are the stored memories

of the hope for again seeing lost loved ones and the end of pain and suffering. For some there is fear of judgement and punishment. For some it may be THE adventure. Terror, bliss, or nothingness. Who really knows what irrational hopes,fears or guiults may remain in our unconscious which influence our feelings and thoughts about the great unknown? There is a perspective from which all your comments make sense.

Studying this thread is an education for me about how we all come to misunderstand and then come to conflict with one another.

Neale Lehman

Michael,

Let's make this easy. I am not going to discuss me. If you want to keep up with this tirade, I will delete further installments. You got your tirade. It's on record. Time to move on.

Michael

• 5 months later...
Victor I think that is a sad and ridiculous sentiment. Death does not give life value, it does not make a life have meaning, it is the end of life, the end of existence, the end of the potential of values. Do you seriously embody the notion that all things,

I don't know about. Knowing one's time is limited is a very good incentive not to procrastinate or to waste time. Time is the only valuable thing you have. Use it wisely.

From Perke Avot:

The day grows short

The work to do is great

While you are not charged with finishing the task

Neither are you absolved undertaking work on it.

Samuel Johnson one said that an impending date with the executioner tends to clarify one's thinking.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Time is the only valuable thing you have

Which is exactly why I would like to have as much of it as possible, which necessarily suggests I would prefer not to cease to exist. Would the option of not ceasing to exist take away the meaning of life? That was the question of this thread. One could say each moment has more value because there are so few, but that doesnt mean that each moment doesnt have intrinsic value regardless of how many more moments one might get.