Controlling Reflexes

I have a lot of habits. Some are good, some are bad. It gets to the point where my habits are conditioned into me. A lot of the time this is good, like with my baseball swing. When I swing the bat correctly over and over again at strikes good things happen. The reflex that gets me in a lot of trouble is my instant reaction to anything attacking America.

America is an amazing country, I love it. I also realize it has its faults. It's just that I've gotten so used to America being attacked without legitimate reason that I have gotten used to reacting instantly thinking they are wrong. This gets me in trouble when someone has a legitimate complaint with America. I instantly react to it, only to realize that my position is indefensible. Sure makes me look silly. Anyone else have reactions like this?

I have a lot of habits. Some are good, some are bad. It gets to the point where my habits are conditioned into me. A lot of the time this is good, like with my baseball swing. When I swing the bat correctly over and over again at strikes good things happen. The reflex that gets me in a lot of trouble is my instant reaction to anything attacking America.

America is an amazing country, I love it. I also realize it has its faults. It's just that I've gotten so used to America being attacked without legitimate reason that I have gotten used to reacting instantly thinking they are wrong. This gets me in trouble when someone has a legitimate complaint with America. I instantly react to it, only to realize that my position is indefensible. Sure makes me look silly. Anyone else have reactions like this?

I've had that reaction a lot these past few years. I try to take it as an opportunity to further educate myself. Although: I find that there really aren't that many "legitimate" complaints against America - certainly none that couldn't also be leveled at any number of other countries. I'd still rather be here than any of the other available options.

Edited by Richard Uhler

I've had that reaction a lot these past few years. I try to take it as an opportunity to further educate myself. Although: I find that there really aren't that many "legitimate" complaints against America - certainly none that couldn't also be leveled at any number of other countries. I'd still rather be here than any of the other available options.

Have you looked at Switzerland? It is a clean prosperous country that lives under The Rule of Law.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Have you looked at Switzerland? It is a clean prosperous country that lives under The Rule of Law.

Ba'al Chatzaf

But do they have klezmer music there?

I kinda get that way about America. If somebody is really bashing on it, I usually just snap, "Go live somewhere else." But, now I've just kind of learned to ignore it. I don't care if they don't like America. Their loss. I've found that a lot of people don't know the original principles that this country was founded on. That's the America I support. They judge the country based on the idiots in it. Those people are not America.

One of my habits is snapping at people when they insult the music I like. This is my touchiest subject. I don't mind if they want to discuss why they don't like it in a calm manner, but they usually just get riled up and say things like, "Oh, you like SO-AND-SO?! He's so stupid! Blah, blah, blah...(insert assumptions about my character)." I don't understand their motive in doing that. Do they think they'll make me stop liking my music? Even if I don't like 'their' music, I always find it interesting to discuss other people's favorite music...why they like it, how they connect with it, etc. I've been told that I'm 'surprisingly intelligent' by quite a few people...they just assumed I was an idiot because I like Manson or whoever. Psssht. People connect with different kinds of music in different ways...it's interesting...not a reason to condemn.

Jeff,

Ayn Rand had the reaction you do about the United States. I think she saw it as such a great good that she was suspicious of attacks on it.

Baal, There nothing wrong with Switzerland if you think the cuckoo clock is the greatest achievement in man's history. (Apologies to Orson Wells)

If you are happy with what your country stands for, or what has made it what it is, then I think you are at ease. I feel that to be totally grounded in that satisfaction requires that you have a full understanding of your history and geography - or at least as full an understanding as you are allowed.

Fortunately in western democracies we have the power to rid ourselves (eventually) of poor laws, governments, social attitudes etc etc that we ourselves might criticise, but that never inherently changes what our country is.

I am always fascinated by national thinking, attitudes, behaviours - and I suppose that is why I am more critical of individuals rather than countries - politicians and governments rather than a nation's people.

Travel helps understanding a lot, plus an open mind, Also communication and dialogue between peoples.

If your country upholds the right to freedom of speech then it won't go far wrong. This freedom invites all manner of criticisms, but that is healthy. If in doubt try living somewhere that doesn't allow this ........ and you'll get a nasty shock!!

Be confident in your national pride - and remind the annoying critics how lucky they are to be able to voice their criticisms.

What's childish about the way America runs? Just curious.

To be honest, I love the capitalist economy, but I'm getting sick of the retarded polticians.

I dont like conservatives (generally speaking).

I believe in a seperation between church and state, but when someone recommends it, the fundamentalists Christians rear their whiney heads and say 'But our country was founded on our beliefs!!'

I also REALLY despise feminism, and nothing is stopping it from growing.

I hate how marriage is treated as a rite of passage, only the first step (the next--divorce.)

I hate how no one fucking stands up and takes charge and acts productively in politics.

More later--Im multi tasking.

I think we can pretty much all agree on those. My recommendation would to be careful to condemn America for that though. I mean, sure, it's crap, but most of it isn't America's fault. I mean, some people have ripped the Constitution to shreds by over-interpreting it and making fuzzy "implied powers" that don't really match up. They also take advantage of the time barrier with language to make it so that they can make it say what they want it to. Just look how bloated the power over interstate commerce in Article 1 Section 4 has become. The government, using that power over interstate commerce, can control who a business can or cannot sell to. They said that a establishment could not refuse to sell to a person based on race because it affected the interstate commerce even if that was as little as the paper cups they sell coffee in coming from out of state. I'm no racist but I think business should be able to sell to who they want.

I love America, but not necessarily what is being done to it. I also just think that there's enough of America left that it's worth defending to the death.

I think we can pretty much all agree on those. My recommendation would to be careful to condemn America for that though. I mean, sure, it's crap, but most of it isn't America's fault. I mean, some people have ripped the Constitution to shreds by over-interpreting it and making fuzzy "implied powers" that don't really match up. They also take advantage of the time barrier with language to make it so that they can make it say what they want it to. Just look how bloated the power over interstate commerce in Article 1 Section 4 has become. The government, using that power over interstate commerce, can control who a business can or cannot sell to. They said that a establishment could not refuse to sell to a person based on race because it affected the interstate commerce even if that was as little as the paper cups they sell coffee in coming from out of state. I'm no racist but I think business should be able to sell to who they want.

I love America, but not necessarily what is being done to it. I also just think that there's enough of America left that it's worth defending to the death.

Agreed. I havent condemned America, but it needs work. But I would rather not live anywhere else.

The problems we are facing can be fixed, but Im just growing impatient.

Once I get fed up Im sure Im going to take immediate action.

^I agree with both your sentiments.

Still, as much as I hate some of the things that go on in this country, I would never want to live anywhere else. I try not to judge America as a whole by a few fucktards that reside here.