Hello

Richard Uhler

Hello all:

I am pleased to have found this forum; it seems a reasonable and congenial place.

My introduction to Ayn Rand came by finding a paperback copy of The Fountainhead on a bus seat in Cleveland in 1996. If I were a religious man I'd say it was like a sign from Beyond, but as things are I just chalk it up to the power of random chance. At any rate I began reading the book, and once finished realised that I was now going to have to view everything in the world differently - and gladly so.

Later I bought a new copy, and I left the old one on a bus seat.

Last week I finished reading The Passion Of Ayn Rand for the third time, having just finished my second go-round on Atlas Shrugged, and decided to see what I could find in the way of forum interaction on the internet so...here I sit, trying to encapsulate a series of life-changing experiences in a brief post.

More to come. I'm happy to be here!

Welcome Richard Uhler,

I liked the fact that you left a copy of The Fountainhead on a bus seat.

We are each tempted to pass the torch in some fashion.

I also enjoy this site which I only discovered a few months ago.

I was introduced to Atlas in the midst of a discussion of a moral issue (in 1968) in which the fellow who recommended that I read Atlas Shrugged had said, "No man's need constitutes an obligation on the part of another man to fulfill that need!"

I expect that everyone here can agree with that statement but the fellow who voiced it told me that the statement was not self evident and proceeded to derive it from two "axiomatic concepts", Existence exists and Consciousness is conscious, and once we agreed on certain Laws of Logic. He restated the Law of Identity by suggesting that there are No Contradictions in the Universe.

I was an easy sell as I had always believed in the Natural universe and rejected supernaturalism and mysticism at a early age having read Isaac Asimov, Sir James Jeans, and George Gaylord Simpson and the life story of Galileo by Harzanyi entitled The Star Gazer.

Anyway I hope you enjoy your stay here and perhaps someday our numbers will exceed the numbers of snowflakes in a blizzard!

galt

Edited by galtgulch

Anyway I hope you enjoy your stay here and perhaps someday our numbers will exceed the numbers of snowflakes in a blizzard!

galt

Many thanks. You know, I got so absorbed in guest-reading a thread on this forum this morning that I was nearly late for work - this convinced me it must be a good place for me!

Richard,

Welcome aboard. I look forward to reading your thoughts.

You have read The Passion of Ayn Rand 3 times and you are a relative newcomer? Wow. Objectivism sounds like it hit you hard. (It sure hit me hard when I first encountered it.)

I think you have made a wise decision to learn about Rand at the beginning. Barbara's book provides you with an excellent perspective so that you can concentrate on using Objectivism in your life without falling into the trap of Rand worship.

Michael

Richard; I hope you're also reading Rand's non-fiction. This includes ITOE. Kat withstanding. I once the advice a stagecoach driver gave his passengers also applies to reading and studying Rand. Set Loose to enjoy the ride.

Richard; I hope you're also reading Rand's non-fiction. This includes ITOE. Kat withstanding. I once the advice a stagecoach driver gave his passengers also applies to reading and studying Rand. Set Loose to enjoy the ride.

I have done, although I never finished ITOE, which I found pretty tough going - starting it over & actually finishing is a planned future project.

Richard, my post got away from me before I could finish it. Besides scolding you for reading Passion only three times, I meant to welcome you to Objectivist Living. I think you'll have a very good time here.

Barbara

Thanks, Barbara. I think so too.