Stir Fry

Kat

On the garlic chicken recipe thread we mentioned stir frying so I am starting a new thread for people to post up some stir fry recipes. Here is the pork stir fry recipe I promised.

Pork Chop Suey

1 lb pork tenderloin

1/4 cup flour

2 Tablespoons sesame oil - divided

2 cups (~3 stalks) bok choy - sliced

1 cup sliced celery - sliced

1 cup red pepper - sliced into strips

1 cup sliced mushrooms

1 green onion - sliced

1 8-oz can water chestnuts - drained

2 garlic cloves - minced

1/4 cup reduced fat and sodium chicken broth

1/4 cup lite/low sodium soy sauce

1 Tablespoon cornstarch

1 Tablespoon dry sherry (optional)

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

2 cups cooked rice

2 sliced green onions

1 - Cut pork into one inch pieces discard excess fat. Combine pork and flour in zip-lock bag, seal and shake to coat meat with flour. Heat one tablespoon of oil in stir fry pan over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook for about 3 minutes or until browned. Remove and keep warm.

2 - Add other tablespoon of oil and stir fry the vegetables about 3 minutes.

3 - Combine broth, soy sauce, cornstarch, sherry and ginger and mix well with whisk. Add pork and broth mixture to pan and cook about a minute or until thick. Serve over hot cooked rice and sprinkle with green onions.

makes 4 servings

8 WW points per serving (1-1/2 cup chop suey and 1/2 cup rice)

This recipe is from one of my favorite hometown (San Diego) chefs Su-Mei Yu

Vegetarian Mah Peh Tofu(Makes 4 serving)

1 tablespoon Sichuan hot bean paste

½ teaspoon sea salt

1 teaspoon soy sauce

1 tablespoon dry Vermouth

1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns, dry-roasted and ground

½ teaspoon black pepper

1 tub (19 oz.) firm tofu, sliced into ¾ inch cubes

1 cup vegetable broth

1 tablespoon minced ginger

½ teaspoon spicy sesame oil

1 tablespoon minced green onion

In a small sauce bowl, mix the bean paste, sea salt, soy sauce and dry Vermouth together and set aside. Mix Sichuan peppercorn and black pepper together in another small bowl and set aside.Bring a pot of water to boil in a medium saucepan. Add the tofu and parboil for 3 to 4 seconds, transfer to a strainer.Bring the vegetable broth to a boil in a large non-stick skillet. Add the tofu and stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the ginger, and continue to stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the bean paste mixture and stir to mix. Stir-fry for another 1 to 2 minutes before adding the Sichuan peppercorn, black pepper mixture and stir to mix. Turn off the heat and add the spicy sesame oil. Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with the green onion. Serve with hot cooked rice.

Mmmmm! Thanks, Kat! That will be quite a feat for me as the toughest thing I've ever made is Easy Mac, but I will try making it sometime soon. Can I replace pork with chicken? I'm not much for pork. :sick: :lol: Damn, I love stir fry.

Thanks to you too, Michael! Gosh, it's going to be tough for me to just find this stuff in the grocery store. Whenever I'm in there I just kind of wander around aimlessly...even if I know what I'm in there for.

Edited by Kori

• 4 weeks later...

Beef Cabbage Stir-Fry

3 cups shredded cabbage

2 tablespoons canola oil

1 pound beef sirloin steak, cut into 1/4 inch strips

2 large onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings

3 celery ribs, sliced

1 can (14 ounces) bean sprouts, drained

1 can (8 ounces) bamboo shoots, drained

1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained

2 tablespoons sugar

1 tablespoon cornstarch

1/2 cup beef broth

1/2 cup soy sauce

cooked rice

In a large skillet or wok, stir fry cabbage in oil until cabbage begins to soften. Add beef; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add the onions and celery; stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until veggies are crisp-tender. Add bean sprouts, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, broth, and soy sauce until smooth; stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and veggies are tender. Serve over rice. 8 servings

Nutrition: 1 cup serving (prepared with reduced sodium soy sauce; calculated without rice) equals 242 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 682 mg sodium, 18 g carbs, 4 g fiber, 15 g protein.