STRANGER THAN FICTION

~ I was never a Will Ferrell fan, though, from what I saw, I never doubted his 'talent.' Just never cared for his comedy-style or characters on...whatever comedy show he was in. Saw his Elf; thought Bob Newhart was the only saving grace of the movie. Dumb story.

~ But, as with ALL comedians I've seen do 'dramatic' parts, Will shines in this one. With 'backup' like Emma Thompson, Dustin Hoffman and Queen Latifah, you sink quickly and badly or you show you can really s-w-i-m! Will gets a gold-medal for this subtle baby; especially given some story-plot large-hole-problems (here and there, you ask yourself: "Why didn't he think of 'A'?" or "What did she intend in writing him as doing 'B'?", nm why didn't she see/write him as thinking about her writing about him?

~ Watching the movie, all such gets brushed aside, because all are so fascinating to watch handling their parts...and yet...still wondering: How will this end?

LLAP

J:D

I thought it was a great movie as well. I was quite impressed with his dramatic acting, though I don't know if I doubted he could do it to begin with. His comedy style, well...he is hilariously funny while still having a straight face. Now I'm just waiting to go see the dramatic Jim Carrey movies.

P.S. He was on Saturday Night Live

P.S.S. Anchorman was ridiculously funny. Give it a shot. :)

~ I praised Ferrell, but, I must admit, I can't praise the movie itself. Per se, yes, it was a bit 'thought-provoking,' b-u-t, even as a fantasy, it was clearly quite ANTI-volition-accepting in it's basic premise...at least, clearly, for Ferrell's character. --- What such implies about Thompson's (or that of others') character...well...the movie totally ignored that aspect. (I mean, like The Matrix, it raised a question...then ignored at least one basic implication relevent to the rest of the story.)

~ Other than that, as I said, the actors were worth watching, if a bit unbelievable character-wise near the end in their obviously blase (can one say 'surrealistic'?) acceptance of things after Farrell confronted Thompson.

LLAP

J:D