What's Your Favorite Sport

Danneskjold

As a performance coach my take on sport - "competitive or non-competitive" - is that it is all competitive in the sense that you start by competing against yourself....gaining skills....building disciplines...etc etc.

Sport, The Arts (performing and creative), are what make man unique ......

Some sport is also art....movement, grace, power, strength, expertise......I sense I'm losing some of you now!

Basically I love and admire them all, some more than others. As a TV spectator I watch many - live spectating less so - and still playing even less. (Only 24 hrs in a day).

Only money stops me from skiing which is exhilirating. I still play cricket to a reasonable standard. Until injury put me out I played rugby. In their way these two team games teach you more about yourself and life than anything you'll get in school. I guess its the same for those of you in the US with baseball and football. Soccer is our biggest game over here - especially in money terms and spectator terms....and they call it "the beautiful game", which it can be.

For me all sport is beautiful when played or entered into for the right reasons.

Sadly, the kids I see are the 15% who get out and do it. The rest just fritter away the opportunities to enrich their lives.

If you get the chance, check out some of the tighter matches in the cricket World Cup which is being staged in the West Indies all through March.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never dreamed I'd find myself doing it, but I'm really enjoying learning how to be a good pool player. It can be very, very far from how it's normally perceived. 9 ball in particular is a very tough game. I was watching a women's championship game the other day, and their focus and skill was amazing. There's a great deal of science and savvy involved.

~ I also am quite into billiards (for that matter, snooker, bumper, and wierd table shapes [the curved oval with only a single 'focus' pocket is...wow!]) I also have caught some of those female stick-wizards on ESPN; no way *I*m laying any money down in 9-ball with them!

~ However, it's really nothing more than geometry-perception and the biggee: arm-hand-finger control on aim, force (for position) and 'english.' An aerobic or muscle sport it's not, anymore than chess. It's just one step beyond a 'board' game...like cards.

~ Now, 6-sided room-handball...

LLAP

J:D

Edited by John Dailey

~ I also am quite into billiards (for that matter, snooker, bumper, and wierd table shapes [the curved oval with only a single 'focus' pocket is...wow!]) I also have caught some of those female stick-wizards on ESPN; no way *I*m laying any money down in 9-ball with them!

~ However, it's really nothing more than geometry-perception and the biggee: arm-hand-finger control on aim, force (for position) and 'english.' An aerobic or muscle sport it's not, anymore than chess. It's just one step beyond a 'board' game...like cards.

~ Now, 6-sided room-handball...

LLAP

I've known and met some of the greatest contemporary pool players. Steve Mizerak. Toby Sweet. The game is less brainy than chess and harder than anything described as a "sport." Toby Sweet was the greatest nine-ball player of all time--money player, gambler--and since he was/is my friend (I haven't seen or talked to him in over 12 or 13 years--I can't tell you the secret of his success besides the fact he is a pool genius: he used to chase Mizerak around New Jersey trying to get him to play nine-ball while the Miz wanted to play him straight pool), I won't say more, about him.

The most important thing about pool playing ability is one's eyesight. Two is hand-eye coordination. Three is memory--memory of what the white ball--cue ball--does after it hits the object ball. The most important thing about nine-ball (gambling--it is absolutely a gambling game; the bet's the thing) is not how well you play, but the game you make before you play.

I haven't played pool in years. In the +two years I was a truck driver I stopped at a truck stop in Arkansas (I think that was the state) nearby which was a nice family-type billiard parlor and I played by myself for an hour or two. Other than that I can hardly stand the thought of going into a billiard parlor for any reason at all; the game is a way to waste time unless you're young and don't know any better or want a place for a cheap date.

But that was my social existence for many years. Every day, almost, in the PM, I went to a place in Spring Valley, New York called "Holly's" and hung out and watched there or nearby some of the world's greatest players, none greater than the owner of the joint, A real nice guy. That was my social existence, better than bars, after taking care of my Dad all day every day of the week.

I remember one game I played, in 1983, a set, race to seven games up, for $200. Tied, six to six. The other guy shot down the rail for the win. He jarred the nine-ball in the pocket. The cue ball came back to the middle rail. I had to jack up to shoot at the nine-ball in the pocket. I had a monster cue-stick, much too big, and it was very hard not to scratch or miss. I shot down on the cue ball hard and hit the nine-ball into the pocket. Then the cue ball came back at me straight for the side pocket and a scratch (I lose). It had the momentum to fall into that pocket, barely enough, but there was a quirk in the table and the cue ball was diverted just enough not to scratch and I won! And saved the life of the comely maiden!

--Brant

Damn, Brant, that sounds like one hell of a game. I would have liked to have been there to see it.

-Ross Barlow.

That is a fine goddamn story, Brant, thank you!

Yeah, games... chess and billiards it is for me. I'm real busy but I always try to jam in a few of each per week. In between that, I stop into places for food/beer whatever, and look for swing dances.

Dancing is my main workout right now, although I don't swing dance at the sport level (I don't do catapaults or any of that stuff). In the morning, I do a very quick workout--either/or-- work on swing steps to music, or basic Wing Chun-type handwork and footwork.

Mostly for dance I still just do East Coast jitterbug, it's fairly easy, but I'm working on cha-cha. Don't do any ballroom yet but I better...can barely get through a foxtrot. More interested in advancing my swing, and learning the Lindy and Charleston. My dance partner is an expert, so I'm always kind of...uh-duh.

If you want to see one of my teachers, go to www.gethepswing.com . Her name is Valerie Salstrom, she's a world famous Lindy champ. Go to the videos, and watch what she does... unbelievable artist/athlete.

Really, do it-- she's a monster, all five feet of her.

Mostly for dance I still just do East Coast jitterbug, it's fairly easy, but I'm working on cha-cha. Don't do any ballroom yet but I better...can barely get through a foxtrot. More interested in advancing my swing, and learning the Lindy and Charleston. My dance partner is an expert, so I'm always kind of...uh-duh.

The cha-cha is my very favorite dance. Isn't that considered a ballroom step?

Put on "Smooth Operator" and have at it!

Judith

~ Assuming we're talking ESPN 'athletic' type (which rules out board games like Monopoly or Chess)

You're just watching the wrong ESPN channel. Try ESPN 8, 'The Ocho', where 'if its almost a sport, we've got it'.

For me, I find watching a sport very boring. As to playing, well, I've never been very athletic. So that puts me off from most sports. I'm pretty decent at bowling & volleyball. (guess that's why I did them for my PE classes in college). Even was part of a volleyball team at a previous place I worked.

Most 'sports' for me are more outdoor oriented: hiking, canoeing, snorkling/scuba diving (tho haven't done those in a while), snow skiing (ditto, because I've have to travel to a decent ski place), etc. One sport/hobby I've gotten into recently is geocaching. Combines hiking, puzzles, and 'treasure hunting' all in one.

1. Basketball

2. Ping pong

3. Dancing

4. Racquet Sports

When I was a kid, we had a ping-pong table in my basement and I've always loved to play. As an adult I love to watch basketball because I play the game. Jonathan expressed well what I like about it: one-on-one, halfcourt, or fullcourt.

Three years ago I was in shape enought to play fullcourt at the city YMCA, and I want to get back in shape enough to run with the kids. Age is not an issue: Right now I can play on the halfcourt level of the high school kids I teach. Problem: I moved to another city and have watched the players at -this- downtown YMCA and they are significantly better than me, even when I'm in shape: They look like they were star players on somebody's team. My problem is I was a full time runner in high school and college not a ball player and didn't play or learn basic skills till afterwards.

Oh well...maybe in a few months and ten pounds lighter I'll join in and get my butt kicked. :-)

~ Yes, Ping-Pong can be very cool/fun, after you've got the hang of fancy paddle-'english' (shades of billiards!) I loved making that little sucker bounce back to me (not consistently, unfortunately) after its barely making it over the net. Sorry I forgot about that. Plus, it really CAN be quite 'athletic'...with the right competitor! --- THEN, there's Badminton! (Talk about 'athletic'!)

~ But, what the f***n' hell is 'geocaching'? Have I been deprived in life? Your 'description', Michael, is about as good as describing Spelunking as 'climbing down into a hole in the ground.' Like, whaddya DO?

LLAP

~ But, what the f***n' hell is 'geocaching'? Have I been deprived in life? Your 'description', Michael, is about as good as describing Spelunking as 'climbing down into a hole in the ground.' Like, whaddya DO?

Simple.

We use a multi-million dollar military satellite system to find tupperware hidden in the woods.

:)

go to www.geocaching.com

its a sport/hobby were people put hidden items (caches) which can be as large as a bucket and as small as a tip of a pen (really), and give people the GPS coordinates of the location (and maybe some clues/hints) and you go find it. At a minimum, you sign a little log to say you found it. Large caches have trade items. Some add puzzles to the mix, making it harder to find the caches. Finding some caches may led you to others.

• 2 months later...
Mine is baseball for sure. Baseball is pretty much my obsession. It's a complex game that uses a lot of different skills (running, throwing, eye hand coordination), and it takes a long time to learn. Plus, once you get to the higher levels, it's a game for complete hardasses, sliding into each other, collisions at the plate. It's great. America's past time'll do just fine for me.

Mine is bicycling. It is health promoting. It gives one a chance to be out in the fresh air. It is good exercise and one can determine his/her own pace. It can be done solitary or in company. Bike racing is competitive, but bike riding is not so competitive unless one wants to exceed his own prior best (best speed, best distance, best time etc).

Ba'al Chatzaf

They told me that sports was a great way to keep your weight down, so I started playing chess a lot at one time in my life.

It didn't work...

Michael

Chess is a -game-, not a sport.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I love baseball or softball. I was a huge Expos fan until they left 3 years ago. I lived and died with that team and I still feel sad when I think that they are gone. I'm not that skilled when it comes to playing so I play on a mixed recreational softball team once a week. Its fun, and like I said I'm not that skilled but I do pretty well cause I have a great understanding of the game.

I also like hockey, not that I play, but I love the Montreal Canadiens.

Bob,

Tell that to the International Olympic Committee (IOC): Recognized Sports

RECOGNISED SPORTS LIST

Air sports

Bandy

Billiard Sports

Boules

Bowling

Bridge

Chess

DanceSport

Golf

Karate

Korfball

Life Saving

Motorcycle Racing

Mountaineering and Climbing

Netball

Orienteering

Pelote Basque

Polo

Powerboating

Racquetball

Roller Sports

Rugby

Squash

Surfing

Sumo

Tug of War

Underwater Sports

Water Skiing

Wushu

May I suggest going to them and setting them straight?

Michael

Bob,

Tell that to the International Olympic Committee (IOC): Recognized Sports

May I suggest going to them and setting them straight?

Michael

Where is the physical component? If chess if a sport, then so is poker and tiddldy-winks.

Just because the IOC designates an activity as a sport, does not make it so.

Sports must have a significant component. Stephen Hawkings can play chess even in his miserable physical condition. That alone proves that chess is NOT a sport.

Bob Kolker

Bob,

I agree that chess is not a sport that involves athletics.

Anyway, did you give any thought to straightening out the Olympics people? The whole world is watching their error.

They need you, man! They need you...

(Please do not take this as snarky-type mocking. I rarely do that. Mischievous poke in the ribs is more me.)

Michael

Bob,

I agree that chess is not a sport that involves athletics.

Anyway, did you give any thought to straightening out the Olympics people? The whole world is watching their error.

They need you, man! They need you...

(Please do not take this as snarky-type mocking. I rarely do that. Mischievous poke in the ribs is more me.)

Michael

Not a problem, Mike. A little poking fun is fun.

Ba'al Chatzaf

• 3 months later...

Motocross as spectator and participant.

One of the most physically demanding sports in the world. The joy of being on the edge...the counterparts of weightlessness and tremendous G-forces. One of the few motorsports, a mixture of man and machine, where the role the man plays is of far greater import than machine.

The elements of the "on the edge of control" of downhill skiing couple with the comraderie of competing head to head. The element of danger develops a "band of brothers" bond amongst racers that probably has no equal except for maybe paintball.

http://www.raggedyedge.net

• 2 weeks later...

~ Generally, 'sports' seems to imply 'athletics', ergo, chess is NOT a 'sport', by that view. I, a chess fan, accept the view.

~ Ergo, really, as in so many other things, 'definitions' seem required to clarify distinctions re one's meanings on any given subject. When is a 'game' not a 'sport'? Indeed, are there not some 'sports' (say, diving or 'rock-climbing') that are not even 'games'?

~ Scratch any athleticism (Poker/Bridge) and, we're not talking 'sports', merely 'games'; scratch any competition...hmmm...any, meaningfully speaking, 'sports' without competition (I'm not talking 'loner' practice)?

~ Interesting subjects: athletics, sports, games...'skills.'

LLAP

Edited by John Dailey

MSK:

~ Re your (I know, facetious, ntl...heh, heh...) comment about playing Chess to keep your weight down, it really it could work, you know!

~ I all depends upon how big that chessboard is, and, how heavy those pieces are...not to mention your opponent having the same purpose...and need to win...as you (presumably) have.

~ Given that, it could be a quite 'athletic'...uh...game.

:lol:

LLAP

PS: It'll work for Checkers too, but, that's a lotta red/white paint work for 1/2 the barbells in the gym, so...get the chess set.

PPS: I'll stick to handball.

Edited by John Dailey

Mine is baseball for sure. Baseball is pretty much my obsession. It's a complex game that uses a lot of different skills (running, throwing, eye hand coordination), and it takes a long time to learn. Plus, once you get to the higher levels, it's a game for complete hardasses, sliding into each other, collisions at the plate. It's great. America's past time'll do just fine for me.

Favorite to watch or favorite to participate in?

Do you count as a sport, athletic activity in which there is no competition with others?

Are competitive games, sports? For example, chess.

I like bicycling. Not to race, but to perfect one's endurance and cadence. In bicycling, form is important. A day without a twenty to thirty mile bike ride is a day without joy. When I was younger its was fifty and seventy five miles. In those days I could do fifteen to twenty miles an hour. Nowadays I consider myself fortunate if I can do thirteen or fourteen mph tops. Age does take its toll.

Ba'al Chatzaf