Chicago Hot Dog

Kat

Here is an easy recipe for a Chicago Hot Dog to get people in the Chicago spirit for the Super Bowl tomorrow. Go Bears!!

I think I will take Michael out to Bill's Drive-in in Evanston to try his very first Chicago hot dog. See you later...

DF4DE49AC2584D6CB5D6F61CD65768B1.jpg

Chicago Hot Dog

Hot dog (Vienna Beef is the Chicago hot dog brand, but regular hot dogs like Oscar Mayer weiners work too)

Bun (poppyseed preferred)

Boil, steam or microwave your hot dog. I like to microwave mine by placing it in the bun, wrapping in a napkin and heating for 30-40 seconds. This steams the bun, too, and any kid can do it.

Toppings:

Mustard

Ketchup (optional or forbidden, depending on who you ask)

Sweet relish

Tomato

Onion

Celery salt (the secret ingredient)

Dill pickle (spear)

sport peppers (optional)

cucumber (optional)

John, you're gonna kill me.

We went out to Bill's, the hot dog joint around Howard and Western and I put ketchup on my hotdog! Michael had a chili dog with mustard on it though....eeewwwww!!! He'd never had a chili dog before. They put mashed potatoes and all kinds of crazy stuff on hot dogs in Brazil.

Bill's is pretty good, but I still think Byron's on Irving is the best little hot dog stand in Chicago.

Kat

• 3 weeks later...

Ketchup (optional or forbidden, depending on who you ask)

Ketchup... the red menace!

Funny thing is that I like ketchup on a lot of things. Was that was as a kid, and there are still many thing I MUST have ketchup for: burgers, fries, chicken fingers/strips (unless there is other sauces available), fried fish/shrimp/etc (never cared for tartar sauce or cocktail sauce).

BUT, there are a few (very few) things I will not put ketchup on and prefer mustard on instead.

One of those are hot dogs. I refuse to put ketchup on them. Give me mustard (not too much), chopped onions, maybe kosher dill pickles on my dog and I'm fine.

I love going to Costco for a hotdog (with deli mustard and lots of onions) and a drink. For a buck and a half. Mmmmm.

Edited by Michael Brown