Become an Objectivist in 10 Easy Steps!

Danneskjold

http://andrej.com/objectivism/

That is the link to an article by a guy I've never heard of about how to become an Objectivist in 10 easy steps. Basically I've been using it as a quick place to refer my friends to. Makes life easier for me and them because they don't have to listen to my ill-phrased explanations. You see anything outright wrong in this article/any significant reason I shouldn't refer my friends to this? It's easy enough to go back and add stuff, but does this put a good outline down? Anything I should be careful of?

Jeff, everyone knows you can become an Objectivist in only three steps:

1 - Read Ayn Rand's fiction

2 - Read Ayn Rand's non-fiction

3 - Join Objectivist Living

:D

(Seriously, I may have a look at that site later, but now I've got to rush off to work)

Kat

Basically I've been using it as a quick place to refer my friends to.

Please don't refer people there unless they are already Objectivist and possess a sense of humor! However, given those, that satire is bloody hilarious!

Lol, ya I was kidding. I show it to some of my friends who are completely anti-Objectivist so they can get all up-in-arms about something. People are funnier that way. The funniest thing is when people seriously think that it makes a lot of sense.

You don't really mean that you don't see that this is a parody? Or are you pulling our legs now?

He originally saw no parody. He says it was a joke. It wasn't. Rereading the original post it's perfectly clear he was dead serious. This kid's a giant red flashing beacon of danger.

I think he needs an intervention, and sadly that's not a joke.

Bob

Edited by Bob_Mac

Signs that it was a joke in my original post:

1)Use of exclamation points. Look through any of my posts and find one exclamation point anywhere. I use it for comical value or outrage only.

2) The subtitle- "I've actually found this useful" which means that there should be no legitimate reason for me to find it useful.

When I refer my friends to that, you can ask Royce, I always give it to them, then walk them through it very carefully so they can get rid of the dumb ideas. Ever try to get an average teenager to read anything like that for real? A little comedy is the only reason that I can get most of them to sit through it.

So, I guess it was about half and half. I knew it wasn't serious, but I also found a way to use it to my advantage. I suppose I could have embellished it slightly, but hey, I posted it at three in the morning.

Edited by Jeff Kremer

When I refer my friends to that, you can ask Royce, I always give it to them, then walk them through it very carefully so they can get rid of the dumb ideas.

Because there's absolutely no way I could understand an alternative philosophy on my own. <_<