100 Bad Movies You Should See Before You Die

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, I don't know how to start this list, just figured we needed one. So I guess I'll throw Catwoman out there.

Plan nine from outer Space! It is a Ed Wood production. It was also Bela Lugosi's last movie. He died during production, having shot only a few scences. They had to use a double to replace the dead Lugosi--that looked nothing like Lugosi! The movie is a riot! :laugh:

Edited by Victor Pross

Stop right there. The 2004 Catwoman (Halle Berry) or 1992's Batman Returns that happens to have Catwoman as a prominent character?

I'm really hoping you don't mean Batman Returns. Michelle Pfeiffer did such a great job as Catwoman in that movie.

Another movie to add to the list would be The Hills Have Eyes (2006). Don't get me wrong, from a technical standpoint it was wonderful, but from a plotline/content view...not so much. The plotline was thin and most of the movie depended on blood, gore, and assorted other gross-out instances for its entertainment value.

The most overrated movie is Treasure of Sierra Madre. There is absolutely no one in that movie you want to five minutes with. It gave us one great line "Badges; We don't got no stinking badges". If you think I'm wrong you can watch tonight on TCM. Another movie I loved as a kid was The Ten Commandments but I now realize has a lot of ham acting. Citzen Kane has some great moments but is overrated. I also dislike Its a Wonderful Life althorgh the idea of showing someone what life would be without them is very good.

Achaya, I said what I meant and meant what I said.

OH HOW COULD I FORGET!!!

Napolean Dynamite

Kori, please note the time at which I created this thread.

Edited by Jeff Kremer

Jeff, you've spelled masochist incorrectly before. Don't blame late nights. Also, Napoleon Dynamite is hilarious.

R. Christian Ross, do you mean the movie Pi directed by Darren Aronofsky? I thought that was an excellent movie! And where did you make your South Park character? It looks a lot like you from what I remember of your picture. LOL.

~ Oh fer Cat's sakes! Catwoman? What a movie to make a special thread about! Jeez!!

~ The only things it had going for it was Halle Berry (should I say 'almost'?) in a leather outfit, wielding a 'cat-o-9'-whip while walking a 'wiggle'-walk of all wiggle-walks. How Dominatrix-oriented can one get?

~ Ya know...on second thought, it was a worth-mentioning movie; think I'll re-rent it, now that you reminded me.

LLAP

J:D

P.S. Burton's Batman Returns was purposefully about The Penguin. Michelle 'made' Catwoman the real focus therein. -- A Cat-fight 'twixt Halle and Michelle refereed by Bats would make an unusual movie.

Edited by John Dailey

Kori seems especially intent on me being wrong lately.

Catwoman: Horrible plot, horrible acting, horrible climax, and was pretty much horrible all-around.

Napolean Dynamite: No plot, horrible acting, no climax, and the humor was pretty stupid stuff that I may laugh at if I was ever brainwashed, had a gun to my head and was told to, or just really tired at about five in the morning and at that point where anything is funny.

Kori seems especially intent on me being wrong lately.

Catwoman: Horrible plot, horrible acting, horrible climax, and was pretty much horrible all-around.

Napolean Dynamite: No plot, horrible acting, no climax, and the humor was pretty stupid stuff that I may laugh at if I was ever brainwashed, had a gun to my head and was told to, or just really tired at about five in the morning and at that point where anything is funny.

Kori is just being a bitch. I love that about her. :cool:

Kori; You said everything with Kevin Costner. Please not The Untouchables or Bull Durham. I don't like Dances with Wolves, The Postman, or Water World. The Elvis movie was pretty bad too.

R. Christian Ross, do you mean the movie Pi directed by Darren Aronofsky? I thought that was an excellent movie! And where did you make your South Park character? It looks a lot like you from what I remember of your picture. LOL.

Kori, I do mean said "PI". I saw the movie in the theatres when it first came out, expecting to enjoy it, but found it to be extremely annoying, grating, and an all around un-enjoyable experience. Even as a fan of electronica, I found the soundtrack, mixed together with the hyper-frenetic editing, to be particularly head-ache inducing.

I created the South Park me over on http://www.customsouthparks.com. Be forewarned, you have to submit an email to a "contest" to save off the file, so unless you like SPAM, I wouldn't advise entering in an important address (unless, of course, you have good spam filters...). Oh, and also they give you the graphic with a big sign that says where you made it, but I erased that from mine.

Btw, I still have my picture on my profile page, where you can see the two images side-by-side....and you can ponder, "is it art"? :cool:

RCR

Edited by R. Christian Ross

Re: Kevin Costner. I don’t usually like his movies, as I see his acting range as very limited. But one that I really do like is *Open Range* (2003). Costner directed it and starred along with Robert Duvall and Annette Bening. The acting by the latter two is superb.

As someone in the generation that grew up with Westerns, I admit that there are a lot of bad movies of this type out there. But *Open Range* deserves to be considered a classic in that genre. I think it captures the spirit of average town folk in the old West much better than *High Noon*, which portrayed them as cowards. It shows that time when the last of the really tough open range cowboys were becoming history, but when bad men still coerced the good. What makes a man a good one or a bad one? Can a man with a bad history redeem himself?

Two of Robert Duvall’s short speeches are libertarian gems. He said he will defend “my property and my life” and not even the lawman (corrupt) or over-whelming numbers will stop him.

Because Costner produced this movie as a personal vision, my respect for him went up a lot.

-Ross Barlow.

Ross:

~ Yes, Costner's 'range' seems a bit limited; ntl, I'd say that like John Wayne, he usually picks parts that (from my pov) 'fit' his ranges...what they call nowadays...a 'signature' style of acting (as different from being an A-C-T-O-R's actor; ie being psychoanalytically 'methodical' in osmosing the written 'character'.)

~ Duvall, interestingly, considered Open Range as part of a 'trilogy' of some sort (he DID say this) starting with Lonesome Dove and ending with his latest western (a TV mini-series also) Broken Trail. Costner nwst, if you liked one, you'll like them all.

~ If you get a chance, see Second Hand Lions. It's half Princess Bride and half Stand By Me. You'll love it.

LLAP

J:D

Speaking of Costner's westerns Wyatt Earp is bad. It is interesting that Tombstone which covers some of same territory is the vastly better movie. Val Kilmer is great as Doc Holiday. The Clapits are suitable evil. One small note is that Robert Mitchum does the narration, I think that maybe his last work in movies. Kurt Russell is a great Wyatt. Dana Dalney plays his last wife and the first scene where she lays eyes on Wyatt is a woman who loves her sexuality and is looking for the right man to share it with.

Speaking of Costner's westerns Wyatt Earp is bad. It is interesting that Tombstone which covers some of same territory is the vastly better movie. Val Kilmer is great as Doc Holiday. The Clapits are suitable evil. One small note is that Robert Mitchum does the narration, I think that maybe his last work in movies. Kurt Russell is a great Wyatt. Dana Dalney plays his last wife and the first scene where she lays eyes on Wyatt is a woman who loves her sexuality and is looking for the right man to share it with.

100 Movies You Should See Before You Die, If you're a masacist.

Mega sap shit fest: The Sound of Music.

Victor; I guess you don't care for The Sound of Music. I will confess that I saw it several times when it came out although I haven't beeen able to sit through in recent years. Christopher Plummer is supposed to have called it the Sound of Mucus. Julie Andrews is supposed to have asked a women that told Julie Andrews she I had seen it a huge number of times if her blood sugar was low.

I second the suggestion of 'Artificial Intelligence', although oddly it could have been salvaged as a halfway decent (but very dark) movie had it just ended 20 minutes earlier.

For all time most painful to watch I'd nominate:

Eyes Wide Shut

The Cook, His Wife, the Thief and Her Lover

Naked Lunch (this is my candidate for #1 worst)