Tribute to Nathaniel Branden

The following post on SoloHQ was made on the Psychology subforum right before that forum split into two organizations. I was the Psychology Leader at that time.

Michael

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Thank you and a word about Nathaniel Branden

I want to thank all those who contributed to Solo Psychology the short time it existed. Even and especially the new members who signed on at the end, looking for interesting discussion and interaction about psychology from an Objectivist slant.

I wish to apologize for not having done more to organize this, but my next step was to set up a Nathaniel Branden page, with a small biography, overview of his school of psychology, list of works, links and a few more goodies.

Within the context of the huge amount of derogatory remarks that were being made about him on other Solo threads, with the book that was used as basis for this being endorsed by the site's owner, I felt that a much better time would occur in the future for presenting a Branden page. One thing stands out about him, though. His school of self-esteem psychology is the only school of psychology I know of that can be traced directly to Objectivism.

Interest in Nathaniel Branden's works for me occurs on two levels: (1) the truth of his writings backed up by research in therapy, and (2) an historical fascination on being able to watch an Objectivist offshoot take root and grow into its own separate body and being. Many issues Mr. Branden deals with after ties with Rand were severed are only hinted at in Objectivist literature and some are completely new.

Self-esteem psychology did not need the endorsement of anybody to grow, prove its validity and become highly successful. This was all the work of Nathaniel Branden. Since I was unable to construct my NB page, let me state on this last day:

My hat is off to you, Nathaniel Branden. Your contribution to mankind's intellectual wealth has been a marvelous one and you are already a part of the history of mankind's seminal thinkers. You have created a magnificent legacy to be enjoyed by all of us who follow.

There are several other areas also I would like to have addressed, but usually I wanted a self-esteem perspective on them, so I put them behind the Branden page. Now they will have to be dealt with in other places and contexts.

At any rate, we were able to scratch the surface of several important issues. Some very interesting links and ideas were given in the threads - enough to profitably look into. A small prompt, so to speak. As this forum is to be kept in the archives of the two sites that are branching off from Solo, I hope some of this discussion will prove to be useful.

All of you have my very best wishes. Good therapy and neurosis for those who have them and the very best premises for all.

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

July 28, 1992

Dear Dr. Branden...I was startled and at a loss for words at one point in our conversation, so here are my two-cents' worth now: yes, you caused Ayn Rand pain, but so what? We've all--"even" Ayn Rand--caused someone pain. What's important is that people admit their mistakes and try to make amends to those they have wronged. You have done so, which is more than I can say for some of the others involved. ("Denial is not just a river in Egypt.") I probably wouldn't feel comfortable (as I do) socializing with you, if you hadn't--but even that would not stop me from admiring and benefiting from your work. I admire you all the more for being man enough to admit you were wrong--and to go on and have a happy, productive life. You have been a wonderful role model in more ways than one. And for that, I thank you, too...Sincerely, Roger Bissell