Essays on Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead

Chris Grieb

I just received this today. I have only quickly looked it over. It is 349 pages. It has fifiteen essays and an interview with Peikoff. The first section is a history of the book, the second is a look at the philosphyof the novel. The essays are by what I refer to as the usual suspects. The names who appear at their Summer conferences. As I look it over I will report more. I would be interested if anyone else has read or brought the book. The editor is Robert Mayhew.

Chris,

I haven't read the book, but in the current issue of JARS there is a review of the first two books by Mayhew in this series (Anthem and We the Living). It seems to me that the books are worth getting for the historical and literary essays. But the philosophical essays appear to cover familiar ground.

I got an email about that book from ARI and was considering buying it. Let me know how it is!

Hmm... I saw this book at the Ayn Rand Institute book display at the American Philosophical Association meeting, which I am on the way home from.

I had time only to check the table of contents. The roster of authors seemed unusually heavy on philosophers and light on lit crit types, even compared to the previous book on We the Living. However, I noticed that Shoshana Milgram had a chapter and I would expect good work from her (her PhD is in Comparative Literature and she is an excellent essayist).

Robert Campbell

• 2 months later...
Milgram has two essays. One on the writing, the other on the creation of Howard Roark.

If the former uses any of the material that Milgram presented at the C-SPAN American Writers event in Hollywood, in Spring 2002, the book would be worth purchasing for that alone. I heard her detailed, often witty, astonishing dissection of the book's structure, and was absorbed in it. Her students are, methinks, fortunate to have someone who deals with abstractions so well.

Milgram is definitely not behaving as if she is part of the knot of Court Intellectuals surrounding Peikoff's throne room. Neither, for that matter, is Eric Daniels, the professor at Clemson who provided almost the only historical context that day about The Fountainhead. (He even mentioned Isabel Paterson and Albert Jay Nock. My mouth fell open in delighted shock at that.)

Andrew Bernstein, though ... weeeeellll, that's another story ... and some day soon I'll re-post my reactions at the time to his performance on that (free-admission) occasion.

Steve; I have brought tapes by Milgram and Daniels. I think they are very good. Andrew Bernstein is a different kettle of fish. There was something I saw on the internet called My Dinner with Andy in which he sounded like an awful boor. Andy has an essay in The Fountainhead book on the rape scene. I don't plan to buy any tapes by Andy.