The United Nations

Danneskjold

I hate the United Nations. I don't mean hate in that "Oh, I hate them, they're so annoying" type of way. I mean that if there was one place in America that a bomb had to be dropped (not a huge bomb) I would choose the U.N. building over any random patch of uninhabited soil (excluding touring little kids and other various forms of innocents). The U.N. is like every other beauracracy on earth times a thousand. All the unimportant little things, or things that single out one nation they agree on. Everything they've ever done that is useful, could have been done twice as efficiently without the actual organization, the things that they should be doing, Darfur etc., are left undone, and the overall bad that they do through things that they shouldn't be meddling in outweighs both of the previous two categories.

Possibly the worst part about the U.N. is their tendency to bite the hand that feeds, and our tolerance towards the biting. Without America, the U.N. has no clout. They are a lion without teeth or claws, the can roar loud, but can't back it up. The thing is, you can go to the U.N. website, look at past resolutions, and you can't get through the front page without numerous resolutions, passed or in the process, condemning America. It's utterly ridiculous.

In the immortal words of Crash Davis, "Hopeless. This is utterly fucking hopeless."

Edited by Jeff Kremer

There was a time when the U.N. was fresh, vital, important, and even sometimes effective.

But maybe I should have taken an initial omen for what it meant...

Back in '64-5, my family relocated to NYC (my dad was a railroad man, and he ended up getting assigned there, office on Madison Ave.).

So anyway, I used to have really bad motion sickness. Our first foray into NYC, very first... I remember the drive over the GWB, seeing the skyline of Manhattan-- very Randian although that of course was off my little boy radar screen... So the first place my dad stops, upon arrival at the Sacred Place of Capitalism, was the UN building... right up in the front drive.

I rolled out of the back seat and threw up all over the sidewalk.

That kind of set the tone for me from then on... :blink:

Don't take it out on the real estate, Jeff; it belongs to us. It's the organization that's repulsively corrupt.

I agree with your assessment, for what it's worth.

I've been following some of their activities in the NRA publications. Amazingly, there are committees that actually are trying to assert that there's no such thing as a right to self-defense. Unbelievable. They're trying to get America to follow Europe in terms of restrictive gun laws. Right.

Their activities against Israel have also been pretty unbelievable. Of all the human rights violations going on in the world -- Sudan, China, all the Arab nations, all over Africa, Tibet, etc. -- Israel is the one nation targeted for accusations of human rights abuses, more than all other nations combined.

I'd like to see us cancel the lease on the building, withdraw from the organization, and tell them to go blow hot air and make useless speeches somewhere else.

Judith

United Nations=Flying object that is thrown down on me from someone's "moral" high horse during an argument. Usually looks something like "Well, the UN says that America is evil." Can't argue with that logic now can we?

Perhaps the problem is we give the UN too much power. There are also people who think the UN is important and a great moral force. They are spelling the word wrong the word is "farce". Proposals have been made to say we stop voting and provide only minial dues. We also say that we pay no attention to votes we believe go against our national self-interest. This has to some extent already been done by the Bush administration.

We can't not give the U.N. power as long as we are a member of it. We created it and as long as we back its decisions it has power. So what do we do? Not back its decisions? Only back some of them? Leave altogether?

Jeff; Some years ago I used to listen to NPR and the US was behind in its dues. The hosts on the shows regularly complained about the US being behind on its dues. Jesse Helms when he was Senate Foreign Relations Committee actually went up to New York and gave them hell. The way some people complained about John Bolton I suspect he did a good job.