100 Movies You Should See!

... I am a big fan of Bela and Boris as well. etc.

I imagine you must have seen "The Black Cat" (1934); that's a favorite of mine.

MALEVOLENT UNIVERSE ALERT!

MALEVOLENT UNIVERSE ALERT!

;)

Well, it's less so than, say, "Eraserhead." :laugh:

Just bustin' chops! :P

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robert,

There is no doubt that we share not only similar movie taste, but we also savor the fine motion picture arts beyond “simple entertainment.” I think so anyway. Most excellent choices.

Chris, I agree with you; I did not dig Eraserhead either.

-Victor

Edited by Victor Pross

Robert; On the whole excellent choices. On the Eraserhead commentary that is one movie I do not plan to see again.

I actually regret having seen "Eraserhead" - afterwards I felt almost like I'd been spiritually poisoned. Most of the audience was laughing at various points of the film; which behavior I found incomprehensible and a little frightening.

Edited by Richard Uhler

Eraserhead is bad??? We shall soon see. It's in my Blockbuster online queue. I ordered it because Inky is doing a research paper on cult films and she just has to see it. She loves cult movies and we can't find this one at the local store.

Kat

Robert Jones wrote:

> Chris Grieb wrote:

>> [...] On the "Eraserhead" commentary, that is one movie I do not plan to see again.

> That was definitely not one of David Lynch's better moments.

Add "Mulholland Drive" to that list, say I. In SPADES.

But this thread isn't about what you wouldn't see again. Let alone where you wouldn't weep if such a film's negative happened to be lost!

I'll have my own list soon, a top 50 with commentary, expanding on a list I've maintained since high school. (Thirty years now. Yoicks!) Probably in another thread, though.

The lists here are adding some that-reminds-me moments! Maybe I'll expand mine to 100!

Eraserhead is the only movie that ever filled me with such vile loathing and disgust that I had to stop watching it less than half way through. For me, this is the pinnacle of cinematic nihilism.

By the way Victor, I agree with your top seven movie picks. All of these are in my top 10.

--

Jeff

Edited by Jeffery Small

Eraserhead is bad??? We shall soon see. It's in my Blockbuster online queue. I ordered it because Inky is doing a research paper on cult films and she just has to see it. She loves cult movies and we can't find this one at the local store.

Kat

I don't know if I'd say it's "bad," but it is extremely ugly.

Kat

I, as a responsible movie reviewer, NEVER tell people not to see certain movies, so by all means. I'm no "gatekeeper."

However, if you want to see a real talented student film with zero plot and shock effects for the sake of shock, then "Eraserhead" is your best bet.

Robert Jones wrote:

> Chris Grieb wrote:

>> [...] On the "Eraserhead" commentary, that is one movie I do not plan to see again.

> That was definitely not one of David Lynch's better moments.

But this thread isn't about what you wouldn't see again. Let alone where you wouldn't weep if such a film's negative happened to be lost!

I'll have my own list soon, a top 50 with commentary, expanding on a list I've maintained since high school. (Thirty years now. Yoicks!) Probably in another thread, though.

The lists here are adding some that-reminds-me moments! Maybe I'll expand mine to 100!

Please do! Would be interested to see your choices.

~ 'Cult movies'? (This probably really should be a separate thread, but...oh, well...)

~ Check out THX-1138 (shades of ANTHEM!), THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW and THE WARRIORS. Inky'll love 'em (and have some 'weird' stuff to write about.)

~ For additional ideas, google 'cult movies'.

LLAP

J:D

Edited by John Dailey

My favorite comedy of all time; Office Space.

I believe you have my stapler!

Yeah. And I need you to come in on Saturday.

At a recent conference I was at, I was chatting with another attendee. He was telling us that his major in school (some HR field) was basically to be a "Bob". It was the best way for him to explain his career. He was going to be doing the same basic thing as the "Bobs" in Office Space (in a positive way, not a negative way. I think.)

Edited by Michael Brown

My favorite comedy of all time; Office Space.

I believe you have my stapler!

Yeah. And I need you to come in on Saturday.

At a recent conference I was at, I was chatting with another attendee. He was telling us that his major in school (some HR field) was basically to be a "Bob". It was the best way for him to explain his career. He was going to be doing the same basic thing as the "Bobs" in Office Space (in a positive way, not a negative way. I think.)

My wife just had me watch this one. I can't believe I missed it -- I am a huge fan of "Beavis and Butt-Head" as well as "King of the Hill." I loved this movie! It's why I can't work in an office, the kind of bullshit politics that goes on in these places, no matter where you go.

LOL. I disagree. "Mulholland Drive" is Lynch at his very best, and it is also a highly enjoyable movie...now "Moulin Rouge", on the other hand, is up there with "Eraserhead" as one of the most painful cinematic experiences I've ever had (note, I finished "Eraserhead", but I bailed after an hour or so of "Moulin Rougue").

RCR

A pretty good list Victor, but I concur with those who point out that you'll need to bump a few in order to include Lord of the Ring and The Day the Earth Stood Still, with a John-Galt type character played by Michael Rennie.

thedaytheearthstoodstill1951still01.jpg

Also you need to get Forbidden Planet on there!

Forbidden-Planet-Krell2.jpg

100 Movies You Should See Before You Die!

[1] Amadeus

[2] Shaw shank Redemption

[3] Dead Poet's Society

[4] The Joy Luck Club

[5] Heat

[6] Unforgiven

[7] The Color Purple

In addition to Victor's top seven picks, here are a few more movies that are in my top twenty-two:

Tucker

Groundhog Day

Fried Green Tomatoes

The Red Violin

Love Actually

Spanglish

The Prince of Tides

Schindler's List

Momento

Silence of the Lambs

It's a Wonderful Life

Citizen Kane

The Sweet Hereafter

Fountainhead

I also second Ed's picks of Forbidden Planet and The Day the Earth Stood Still. These are classics of science fiction along with 2001, A Space Odyssey.

--

Jeff

Jeff S. I have a small problem with Citizen Kane. I don't deny it's a great movie but we have been almost hit on the head about its greatness. As you may know the script was co-written by Wells and Mankiweicz. I have come to the conclusion that the great lines are Mankiweicz and the artsy parts are Wells. Of great lines I think of the line said by Boss Gettys to Kane "You're going to need a lot of lessons." I have problems with It's a Wonderful Life too.

I have a small problem with Citizen Kane. I don't deny it's a great movie but we have been almost hit on the head about its greatness. As you may know the script was co-written by Wells and Mankiweicz. I have come to the conclusion that the great lines are Mankiweicz and the artsy parts are Wells. Of great lines I think of the line said by Boss Gettys to Kane "You're going to need a lot of lessons."

Chris, from what you've said, I don't understand what problem you have with Citizen Kane. Thematically I don't think it is the best movie, but craft-wise it is a fantastic piece of work.

I have problems with It's a Wonderful Life too.

The thing I like most about It's a Wonderful Life is that there is not a wasted or unnecessary scene in the entire film. Every moment contributes to the overall message and impact. I suppose it is possible to focus on the movie in such a way as to interpret its theme as an homage to self-sacrifice in service of the needs of others. On the other hand, I choose to see it as a struggle against adversity and a reminder to keep focused on the positive things that you do have, especially during trying times.

Back on science fiction movies, I would also add Contact to the list. I think this movie is wonderful and a rare case where the movie far exceeds the book in its message. I realize that there has been some controversy about the interpretation of the religion vs. science theme in this film. For my interpretation you can read a brief discussion at the Rebirth of Reason site.

Regards,

--

Jeff