Chicken Marsala

Kat

KAT: Ciro, how do you substitute that little bit of dry white wine to make it MSK friendly?

CIRO: Kat, the closest thing that taste like marsala wine is Vanilla.

Try to use few drops of vanilla extract when you make the chicken marsala. The little quantity of alcohol will evaporate during cooking anyway.

Vanilla, huh? Well, to be honest, I've never actually made Chicken Marsala myself. I have only had it out. I think the last time I had it was a while back when Michael and I met Luke and Leslie for dinner at the Olive Garden out on the lovely Isle of Merit in Florida.

How about a recipe... one with the wine, but specify how you could replace the wine in the recipe with vanilla. Would you just use an equal amount of water with a few drops vanilla or would you use something like chicken broth? And why is wine used so much in cooking when it is evaporated away? Seems like a waste of good booze.

This little transition to teetotaler is not as smooth as expected. *hic*

:D

Thanks Ciro!

Kat

C'mon.... whazdamatter Ciro? Are you not up to the challenge?

I need some booze-free, sugar-free delights to keep my man happy. How about some Chicken Marsala and up the ante with a chicken vesuvio too. :D

Yum!

Kat

Chicken Marsala =P~

4 boneless chicken breast halves without skin

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

salt to taste

pepper to taste

1 tablespoons butter or margarine

3 tablespoons olive oil

8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (1/2 to 1 cup sliced)

1/2 cup Marsala wine

¼ teaspoon crushed rosemary

Optional some demi-glaze

1 cup chicken stock

PREPARATION:

Pound chicken to 1/4" thickness between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Combine flour, salt, pepper and mix well. Heat oil and butter in a heavy non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Dredge the chicken in seasoned flour mixture.

Cook the chicken until lightly browned on first side (about 2 minutes). Turn the chicken and add mushrooms around the chicken pieces. Cook for about 2 minutes more until lightly browned. Add the mushrooms stir for a minute then add the marsala and cook for a minute or two or until the marsala evaporates completely to almost dry, add the chicken stock,( 1 tea spoon home made demi glaze optional) cover, and simmer until the chicken is not pink inside , usually after 3 to 5 minutes.

At the last minute or two of the cooking time add the rosemary, and season to taste. If you want to serve it with pasta double the volume of the liquids.

Kat , skip the marsala wine for your recipe, and add the vanilla (alcohol free ) extract to the end of the cooking time, maybe a tea spoon, add it to the sauce stir add some parmigiano cheese and serve all at once. =D>

Looks nummy! Thanks Ciro, this is one of my favorite Italian dishes.

I just have a couple of questions before I get cooking. The list of ingredients does not include chicken broth, but it is mentioned in the directions so I'm wondering how much to use. Is it one can/cup? And does the amount of liquid need to be adjusted when the wine is omitted and vanilla is substituted? Also, what is this mysterious demi-glaze and what else is it used in? Is this a secret concoction that could have some marketing potential as a far as a line of Chef Ciro branded products.

Kat

Kat, I am sorry for not re-reading my recipes before I post them.

I promise, it will not happen again 8-[

Btw, no, you don't change the amount of the chicken stock when the wine is omitted.

Demiglase: Literally means “half-glazed’ A mixture of equal proportions of brown stock and brown sauce that has been reduced by half. Demiglase is one of the grand sauce

Brown stock: An amber liquid produced by simmering browned bones and meat (usually beef or veal) with vegetables and aromatics

Brown sauce: A sauce made from a brown stock and aromatic and thickened by roux.

Roux: A thick sauce containing equal parts of flour and fat (usually butter) used to thicken liquids.

Deglaze: To use a liquid , such as wine, water , or stock, to dissolve food particles and /or caramelized drippings left in the pan after roasting or sautéing .