Rahmschnitzel

Jonathan

Seeing Rand's recipe for Stroganoff here reminds me of one of my favorite dishes to prepare and share with others. With its sour cream sauce, you could say that Rahmschnitzel is a somewhat lighter, German version of Stroganoff. It's often prepared with a breading much like that described in Ciro's breaded pork chop recipe listed in this section, but I prefer this version's lighter coating. It's delicious and very easy to make.

Ingredients:

4 large slices of veal (or pork)

1/2 cup of flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 teaspoon paprika

1/3 cup butter

1/3 cup dry white wine

4 oz mushrooms, sliced

1/4 cup chopped scallions

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1 1/4 cup (or 1 can) chicken broth

1/2 cup sour cream

Instructions:

Pound veal slices to 1/4" thick.

Mix flour with salt, pepper & paprika. Dip veal slices in mixture, shake off excess.

In a large frying pan, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Place veal slices in pan, fry for 3-5 minutes per side until lightly and evenly browned.

Pour in wine and bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat for an additional 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove veal slices from pan and place on a serving dish, keeping it warmed in oven while making sauce.

Add remaining butter to the pan and melt. Add mushrooms, scallions, salt, pepper and nutmeg and cook over medium heat until tender. Add broth and simmer. In a small bowl, mix 1 to 2 tablespoons of leftover seasoned flour mixture with a small amount of water, then pour mixture into sauce and stir. Heat for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.

Pour sauce over veal and serve with spätzle.

Serves 4

Thanks Jonathan, this looks delicious. I made the beef strongonoff recently and I liked it, but but my kids would not touch it! I may just give this one a try though. It looks very good.

Ciro, how do you substitute that little bit of dry white wine to make it MSK friendly? Is there a general substitute that you can put up in the cooking tips thread for both red and white wine in cooking. I love chicken marsala, but how do you make it without the wine?

Kat

Ciro, how do you substitute that little bit of dry white wine to make it MSK friendly?

Kat, the closest thing that taste like marsala wine is Vanilla.

Try to use few drops of vanilla extract when you make the chicken marsala. The little quantity of alcohol will evaporate during cooking anyway.

CD

Well, I tried this recipe with a couple modifications and I must say it was delicious! I used pork and browned it in olive oil rather than butter, and substituted ginger ale for wine. I also skipped the sour cream altogether because the kids were really grossed out by the sour cream sauce when I made the beef strongonoff.

This recipe had a wonderful sweet mushroom gravy and so it didn't really need the the sour cream. I probably altered the recipe to something completely different. I don't know what the dish I made should be called, but it was wonderful and the kids loved it! Inky said, "Twas Yummy!"

Thanks, Jonathan.

Kat