The Fountainhead

Kori,

I don't like his work on CSI very much either. He seems like a caricature of smugness at times and that is irritating to see in a hero in the manner he does it (too much stress on saying weak words, affected poses, a festival of nonchalantly taking off and putting on sunglasses, etc.).

His character in NYPD Blue was a perfect role of a soft-spoken man of rigid integrity. He also did a few really good films, especially Kiss of Death with Nicholas Cage in 1995. That same year he did another film—a horrible one—called Jade. After that point, I have not really liked his work.

Michael

Let me be the odd man out. I like David Caruso on CSI Miami. I get the sense of a man of justice and compassion. Compassion toward the victims. Conan is stand up comedian and would not do.

~ I have to admit, I think Caruso DOES have 'it' for Roark's physical image and, more or less, the "I couldn't care less what you 'think' " attitude in all his role-images. I first noticed him as the 2-bit burglar prompting the main protagonist in Thief of Hearts (an interesting film, on its own) and even as a deputy in Rambo. But, he made his name in NYPD, fer sure. He WAS fitted to the role-as-written. - Re CSI: Miami, only caught him 2x and, guess I'm not that much into forensics, though I think the whole series-group is worthwhile, in a Discovery-Channel sorta way. Re his lines, I'd blame the script-writer or director for those probs.

~ But, Caruso is a little TOO 'laid-back' in his 'quiet/restrained/minimalist' acting-style to be acceptable as Roark (and Roark was not exactly ostentatious)...at least (especially?) re the Courtroom Speech. Otherwise, he'd probably outdo Cooper (who WAS non-distractingly adequate) in most other scenes.

LLAP

J:D

~ Re Toohey (again! Hey, if Rand could give him a 'speech', we can talk about him too. What analysis of The Fountainhead can not 'think of him'?), I gotta take back what I said re no actor outdoing Robert Douglas' portrayal. I forgot that in another thread herein I DID mention Spacey as a possible contender.

~ May I add: Anthony Hopkins? Think about his lecturing to Keating. If he could believably do Hannibal...

~ Now, as to Keating, well, I'm stumped. Kent Smith was under-mentioned/rated for that part. Talk about a well-done parasitic manipulator-wannabe-ladder-climbing-outdo-The-Jones's character-type. Smith was almost as good as Massey and Douglas; maybe, for the part, better than Neal.

LLAP

Edited by John Dailey

Mike:

~ DAY-AMM! You're good.

~ I've been a fan of his since I randomly and accidentally (video-only, I think) caught him in Oleanna (a movie about one type of nightmare-consequence from being TOO 'PC'-sympathizing oriented.) Fargo, Pleasantville, Door to Door: these sure upped my respect for his abilities at playing unusual parts. How could I not think of him re Peter? (Come to think of it, he might kinda 'seem'-to-fit [appearance-wise] as Eddie in AS!)

~ GOOD suggestion, Mike. (I hate it when others out-observe/think me! So you're a closet movie-buff, eh?)

LLAP

~ Macy, 30 yrs ago, given the same looks, would be 'too old'-looking, agreed; too many established 'mature'-lines in his face.

~ However, the near-techno marvels of today's 'Hollywood make-up' appliances, and the skills of appliers, makes such concerns for Macy irrelevent here...at least for the next 15 yrs. 'Sides, his acting would overshadow lousy make-up anyways, I'm sure.

~ 'Justin Timberlake'? I thought we were talking 'actors' here, not bra-robbers (no offense to that group; I envy them. Still...let's stay relevent. Might's well suggest Paris Hilton.)

LLAP

I think he technically acted in a movie. I also think that it was a really bad movie. Although I'm not sure if it was him I am trying to recollect.

But does anybody have an idea for a whiny pretty boy for Keating?

Jeff; I agree. It does look awful. Has anyone seen the HBO mini series Band of Brothers? The actor who played Major Winter would be a good Roarke. The actor's name is Damien Lewis. He is tall, a red head and project condfidence out his ears. Also in the same series David Swimmer(Ross from Friends) would be a good Peter Keating. Ross was always whining on Friends. In Band of Brothers his character almost causes a munity.

Edited by Chris Grieb

I'm about to google that one guy. But I agree completely with Ross from Friends as Peter Keating. Or maybe Ben Stiller? Haha, maybe not, although Peter Keating was no Roark, he still wasn't a Zoolander.

Roark should like like the guy on the left or the guy 2nd from the right in this picture but with red hair:

gears_of_war_i-org_3.jpg

Edited by Jeff Kremer

Jeff; I still like Damain Lewis. The two guy in your picture are a little to big to be Roarke. The actor who was the villian in Walking Tall would be a good Keating. He was in Band of Brothers. There are a couple of actors in Band who could be Mike or Steven Mallory. In case anyone hasn't figured it out I really liked Band of Brothers. I'm sorry to say there no one in Band who can play Domique.