today's made-up joke from REB

• 3 weeks later...
  • 15 years later...

From: Steve Reed To: Atlantis Subject: ATL: I'm tired of all this ... Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 21:15:10 -0800 Enough about dissecting determinism. It goes on forever with no resolution. Let's talk about abortion instead. <extremely rueful grin> * SteveReed@earthling.net * This edition of Sententiae is for Ross Levatter and his rapier wit ...

"Honey, you're born naked; after that everything is drag." -- RuPaul

"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." -- T.S. Eliot

"The play seems out for an almost infinite run.

Don't mind a little thing like the actors fighting.

The only thing I worry about is the sun.

We'll be all right if nothing goes wrong with the lighting."

-- Robert Frost

"Oh, seek, my love, your newer way;

I'll not be left in sorrow.

So long as I have yesterday,

Go take your damned tomorrow!"

-- Dorothy Parker

"Beaten paths are for beaten men." -- Rod Nibbe

"Any sufficiently advanced political correctness is indistinguishable from irony." -- Jane Hawkins

"To do is to be." -- Nietzsche "To be is to do." -- Sartre "Do be do be do." -- Sinatra

"Beware: Sometimes a casual interest in typefaces can become so obsessive that it carries beyond letterforms and you find yourself imagining solid objects such as coffee cups and table legs in a particular typeface." -- Douglas Hofstadter

"It is necessary to the happiness of man that he be mentally faithful to himself. Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving, it consists in professing to believe what one does not believe." -- Thomas Paine

. . . . "All I ask is equal freedom. When it is denied, as it always is, I take it anyhow." -- H.L. Mencken

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -- Albert Einstein

"It is as useless to debate those who have abandoned the use and authority of reason as to administer medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

"If they can get you to ask the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." -- Thomas Pynchon

"So if your life trades its seventy years for seventy hours I have that value now and I am lucky enough to know it. And if there is not any such thing as a long time, nor the rest of your lives, nor from now on, but there is only now, why then now is the thing to praise and I am very happy with it." -- Ernest Hemingway, from "For Whom the Bell Tolls"

"I dislike arguments of any kind. They are always vulgar, and often convincing." -- Oscar Wilde

"Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." -- Mark Twain

"If the world were a logical place, men would ride sidesaddle." -- Rita Mae Brown

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it." -- Groucho Marx

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both." -- Eric Hoffer

"You never know how much you really believe anything until its truth or falsehood becomes a matter of life and death to you." -- C.S. Lewis

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just completed Merl Reagles’s Sunday Crosswords volume 16, puzzle 3 with the title and clue, “Accent on New Yawk.”

Here are some of the clues and answers. Clue: Comic Sykes isn’t performing tonight? Answer: Wanda’s off. Clue: Orville Redenbacher? Answer: Popcorn Papa. Clue: Song about not wanting eggs this morning? Answer: Don’t make me ova. Clue: Why Mrs. Zebra’s kids won’t play with the kid next door? Answer: He’s a cheetah. Clue: See how 1950’s singer Paul’s diet is going? Answer: Weighs Anka. Clue: Gets lucking in the Irish sweepstakes? Answer: Wins a castle.

And here are the other answers. Tampa proof, Piano tuna, John Jacob Asta, A flat mynah, In a samba mood, Pita Benchley. See if you can think of any clues for them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ever see these TV shows? Some more crossword clues and answers.

Leverage in divorce negotiations? The Ex Files.      Dumbstruck duo? The Awed Couple.         Tale of metropolitan religious diversity? Sects and the City.

• 4 weeks later...

This crossword puzzle clue from Merle Reagle almost sounds like a Shirley Temple jest from the 1930’s. Do you know what a palindrome is . . . that spells bad news at the fruit stand?

Answer: No lemons no melon. Now spell it backwards and you will have a palindrome. 

I always liked:

Madam I'm Adam.

:)

This reminded me of a short film I did the voice for in Brazil called Palindrome. 

The film is run backwards, so all my words are backwards.

I just now looked on YouTube and, lo and behold, I found it.

You can see my name in the credits at 9:33.

I am mentioned as part of the cast, but I only did the voice. And I think I remember correcting the script in places, or I might have even translated it from Portuguese. I honestly don't remember anymore.

I only met the people involved for this one project. I never saw them before they called me to do the thing and I never saw them after the wrap.

Believe it or not, I think this little sucker won some prizes or something. I know it was shown at film festivals.

Michael

The FBI arrested a large, strange, new species of fish in the waters just off Mar-a-Lago after checking its finger prints. The fish was trying to scam people by calling itself a name that sounded like British royalty. He said he was the Prints of Whales.

• 8 months later...

Interesting crossword puzzle clues.

From The LA Times: “Loud, get ups?” six letters.

Answer? Alarms

From the NY Times Sunday puzzles: “Opt for the window instead of the aisle?” six letters.

Answer: Elopes

Reader’s Digest had a funny cartoon that takes place in a restaurant, but instead of people the waiter and the diner are dogs. The dog waiter goes to the new diner’s table and asks the dining dog, “Will that be toilet or tap water?”

• Smile 1

• 9 months later...

Some pet peeves I picked up from the Los Angeles Times Crossword Puzzle. A Hawaiian dance is called the hula and not the hulu. The term “demon possessed” is bogus because no such things as demons exists.

Doom and Fate. In a sense they are not a part of reality. If we have free fill then there are only a few bad things that are unavoidable and reality is one of them . . . but I refuse to give up hope as long as I live. Some fun clues and answers?

Clue, hint: L.A. digs protective covers. Answer The La Brea Tarps.

Clue. It may move you. Answer: Spirit.

Clue. Night vision? Answer: Dream.