Ciro, any Filipino Food !!

CNA

Ciro,

I know you are more into Italian food but I was curious if you have any suggestions for Chicken Adobo which is a basic Filipino dish, very very good !! I have a very basic recipe and extremely easy to cook. But I am curious if you are at all familiar with Filipino food and if you could offer a recommendation or a suggestion to this recipe. Something to give it a little flare !!! Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

CHICKEN ADOBO (FILIPINO VERSION)

1 whole chicken (cut into eighths)

entire head of garlic (chopped)

olive oil or vegetable/corn oil

1 tsp ground black pepper

4 whole black pepper cloves

3 dried bay leaves

1 cup soy sauce

1 cup vinegar

**7up/sprite

**1 whole lemon (cut into 4)

Remember to wash your chicken very well. We recommend using the lemon (in ingredients) to scrub all over the chicken parts and rub some salt into it as well.

Heat oil and add all of the garlic, and cook until garlic is lightly browned. Add chicken and saute until the chicken is beginning to tenderize.

Add ground black pepper, whole black pepper cloves, soy sauce, and vinegar, and let simmer for 25-35 mins or until chicken is done.

Make sure to add more vinegar or soy sauce until it suits your taste (should be a bit tangy). When chicken is tender, add some 7 up if you want a sweeter taste, and let simmer for 5 more mins.

Serve over rice

Honey, how about lasagne? I can cook a mean lasagne. Have even gotten compliments from authentics and asking for the recipe.....mmmm....yummy but has been some time since I last cooked it. But I am cooking it soon for Michele and Roy for helping me move. That's their trade and all they wanted. LOL Help of one night of moving for homemade lasagne, although Roy wants manicotti. May be a night of both dishes. Also homemade spaghetti which is also mouth watering and delicious. Hey, I love Italian food and enjoy cooking when I have the time. Well, that was then. But totally awesome that I have much more time to practice NOW and get the skill back as it has been some time that I really got in the kitchen and cooked.

Ciro,

I know you are more into Italian food but I was curious if you have any suggestions for Chicken Adobo which is a basic Filipino dish, very very good !! I have a very basic recipe and extremely easy to cook. But I am curious if you are at all familiar with Filipino food and if you could offer a recommendation or a suggestion to this recipe. Something to give it a little flare !!! Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Angie, marinate the chicken in a zip-lack bag by adding soy sauce, garlic, bay leaves, chiles, and peppercorns, and put it in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

Fry the chicken by omitting the garlic. Add some garlic, maybe at the end when the chicken is almost completly fried, or together with all the other ingredients.

I would use less garlic though!

But, hey! if you want to keep Victor away,then use what the recipe calls for. :)

Ciao, Angela, e buona fortuna a te e Vittorio!

CHICKEN ADOBO (FILIPINO VERSION)

1 whole chicken (cut into eighths)

entire head of garlic (chopped)

olive oil or vegetable/corn oil

1 tsp ground black pepper

4 whole black pepper cloves

3 dried bay leaves

1 cup soy sauce

1 cup vinegar

**7up/sprite

**1 whole lemon (cut into 4)

Remember to wash your chicken very well. We recommend using the lemon (in ingredients) to scrub all over the chicken parts and rub some salt into it as well.

Heat oil and add all of the garlic, and cook until garlic is lightly browned. Add chicken and saute until the chicken is beginning to tenderize.

Add ground black pepper, whole black pepper cloves, soy sauce, and vinegar, and let simmer for 25-35 mins or until chicken is done.

Make sure to add more vinegar or soy sauce until it suits your taste (should be a bit tangy). When chicken is tender, add some 7 up if you want a sweeter taste, and let simmer for 5 more mins.

Serve over rice

Thanks, Ciro. Yeah, I know, lots of garlic in it...OY...but an asian dish and many asian dishes use a lot of garlic. Well, not many but quite a few. I've seen other variations of the dish where much less garlic is used, say 2 or 3 cloves rather than a head. But thank you for the suggestions and I will try it.

Angie

• 2 weeks later...

Holy smokes! I didn't expect to find Filipino cuisine being discussed here!

Angie, are you from the Philippines, or a traveler who's been to the Philippines?

My wife is Filipino and one of her favorites is Chicken Adobo. Pancit Canton is another that she cooks lately.

I'll have to tell her about this thread and see if she is familiar with the recipe you posted.

There are quite a few excellent Philippine dishes, but I forgot many of the names.

I myself have Italian blood and I love Italian cuisine just as much if not even more, although my wife can cook exotic stuff that is intensely enjoyable (which is why I gained 20 lbs almost immediately after we married). Asian cuisine has been a fascination to me though. I love sushi and eat a lot of it when I go to the local Chinese/Japanese restaurant. All you can eat buffets will be my undoing one day!

Holy smokes! I didn't expect to find Filipino cuisine being discussed here!

Angie, are you from the Philippines, or a traveler who's been to the Philippines?

My wife is Filipino and one of her favorites is Chicken Adobo. Pancit Canton is another that she cooks lately.

I'll have to tell her about this thread and see if she is familiar with the recipe you posted.

There are quite a few excellent Philippine dishes, but I forgot many of the names.

I myself have Italian blood and I love Italian cuisine just as much if not even more, although my wife can cook exotic stuff that is intensely enjoyable (which is why I gained 20 lbs almost immediately after we married). Asian cuisine has been a fascination to me though. I love sushi and eat a lot of it when I go to the local Chinese/Japanese restaurant. All you can eat buffets will be my undoing one day!

Hi Mark,

No, I'm not from the Philippines. I'm German, Russian, Native American, and Polish. But my ex is Filipino and have been exposed much to the culture over the last 13 years or so. Pancit Canton is another favorite of mine as well as Pork Asado Siopao. I haven't cooked either the Siopao or Pancit but Siopao is a DEFINITE favorite. I love the sweetness of it. Your wife must be a wonderful cook !! All of John's family are marvelous cooks. I also very much enjoy sushi as well. Where I live now there is a wonderful Japanese restaurant across the way. Although expensive, I am looking forward to trying it and soon !! I'm the same, very much enjoy Italian food as well. That seems to be the way of it when you have a wonderful cook in the family, the weight comes on rather fast and easily. My weight has pretty much stayed the same. I'm still pretty small. For me, when I cook, I'm tasting so much during it to make sure it comes out right that by the time it is ready I'm no longer hungry. Stuffed from all the tasting and sampling....LOL

I enjoy cooking and have recently gotten back into it as I haven't had much time over the past few years. I've been enjoying it thoroughly. I'll go by the recipe at first, just to get an idea of the different flavors, etc. Thereafter, I don't really go by the recipe, the basics of it, yes. I always find myself adding more or eliminating an ingredient or adding a whole new ingredient, putting my own twist on it. I like to experiment and try new ways with it.

I would enjoy it if your wife posted some stuff here, pointers, different ingredients to use, recipes, etc. That would be a total treat.

Angie