2022 Midterm projections & guesses

william.scherk

My wild guess is the GOP gains ~25 seats in the House in early projections, and that the totals will be within five seats once each seat is certified.

I think the GOP will ultimately gain three seats in the Senate, but it might not be apparent until later. I'll know how wrong I am if Georgia does not go to a run-off.

States in my top five Whither list are Arizona, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Nevada and New York.

I guess a clean sweep of the statewide races in Arizona by GOP candidates, and have no "feel" for the others, though I will not be surprised at broad GOP gains or increased margins for incumbents.

My hope is for a certain sobriety among commentators ... but I expect that is the Pollyanna part of my personality. 

I'll attend to any question not foul by the Guidelines.

-- fave commentary of the day is the Wall Street Journal quoting Trump's warning to the Florida Governor.

I've made a secret bet with myself about the winner of the Alaska House of Representatives free four all. In some interviews recently, Sarah Palin seemed a bit down on her own chances.

If Peltola wins, one of us loses, but I consider Alaska to be a singular case, not an example one can generalize from.

Confidence in my own rough expectations being borne out? 9/10.

I'm thinking of Adam Selene ...

I got over-enthusiastic with the new beta version of Descript. Its biggest change is the Storyboard with new 'scenes,' and the coolest addition is its own trained 'real' AI voices. This is an outgrowth of the 'Overdub' ability, which lets you train the AI to fill in errors using your own voice. 

The newest additions have 'moods' much better represented than the Blakify voices, which are pretty damn good.

Premiere:

Here's an item from President Trump, looking at the Senate to be seated in the new Congress January 3 2023. 

-- each state has its own rules, procedures and steps that it takes before certification -- the official results have survived the process. For example, the state of Pennsylvania will certify its election after the official canvasses -- on November 28th.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2022 at 2:43 PM, william.scherk said:

I've made a secret bet with myself about the winner of the Alaska House of Representatives free four all. In some interviews recently, Sarah Palin seemed a bit down on her own chances.

The "instant run-off" will be run at 4PM Alaska time.  You can watch it live here:

KTOO_Default-social-preview_3.png
WWW.KTOO.ORG

Gavel Alaska - November 23, 2022 4:00 pm - Special coverage of the 2022 Alaska Ranked...

Vote results as of now:

AlaskaHouseSnapshotNYT.png

4PM Hawaii-Aleutian Standard Time ... is in about an hour; Live YouTube feed will be here:

So that's that. 

Peltola and Palin formed a working friendship during their time in Juneau, Palin as Governor, Peltola as state representative. I expect Palin to call up her friend and congratulate her sincerely. 

On the other hand, I'd be fucking raging against the machine who slush-funded the Murkowski candicacy and against Begich for not dropping out. His voters did give their run-off choice to Palin, but ... 

Peltola_Wins.png

On 11/23/2022 at 5:45 PM, william.scherk said:

Peltola and Palin formed a working friendship during their time in Juneau, Palin as Governor, Peltola as state representative. I expect Palin to call up her friend and congratulate her sincerely. 

This is a gracious concession, wishing Peltola well and thanking her own supporters. Good show, Sarah Palin.

• 1 month later...

Some wrongs, some rights.

My wild guess is the GOP gains ~25 seats in the House in early projections, and that the totals will be within five seats once each seat is certified.

From a Democratic majority of 222–213 seated in 2021, to a Republican majority of 222-213 seated today.

Two wrongs make two wrong.

I think the GOP will ultimately gain three seats in the Senate, but it might not be apparent until later. I'll know how wrong I am if Georgia does not go to a run-off.

Well, a one seat 51-49 majority for the Democratic Party means  that this a fresh Senate, which means that previous holdover committees will be renewed and repeopled. 

States in my top five Whither list are Arizona, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Nevada and New York.

I guess a clean sweep of the statewide races in Arizona by GOP candidates, and have no "feel" for the others, though I will not be surprised at broad GOP gains or increased margins for incumbents.

Arizona's GOP wins were notable by their absence. The Trump-backed candidates for state office failed also in Pennsylvania, Georgia and New York. Win some, lose some.

Donald Trump may be having a good day down in Mar-a-Lago watching the struggle to elect a Pelosi replacement, though he maintains support for Kevin McCarthy.

Here's his last full interview with a reporter, Wayne Allyn Root with a Christmas theme. Trump speaks of McCarthy at around 1:20

Edited by william.scherk
Minor grammar fixes

On 1/3/2023 at 12:42 PM, william.scherk said:

From a Democratic majority of 222–213 seated in 2021, to a Republican majority of 222-213 seated today.

Two wrongs make two wrong.

Make that three wrong. The majority is having a hard time gathering its factions together, so Congress can't start its season. No head coach, no refs, no teams on the ice, no committees lumbering into the light.

Which may or may not be a good thing.

You certainly get a fair long look at the inhabitants of the House of Representatives. I am impressed with the incoming Clerk. She doesn't give a shit about the screaming or try to gavel it down. The screams and shouts eventually die down, and she still gets paid.  Nobody seems to be in a hurry, except Putin tooters, maybe. 

Today is Grandstanding Groundhog Day.