Artists

Kat

Oh, Gawd, let's try, try, try to not get into an overly-heated debate about Pollock! Yikes!

I have such mixed thoughts about his work... There are a few pieces I wouldn't mind having tacked up, just because for some reason they appeal to me visually, there's some energy in there.

On the other hand, it's Jackson Pollock. I remember when Howard Stern did a painting in the style of Pollock, and put it amongst a bunch of actual ones, and it was undetectable.

He's a connundrum. The movie was good, I think, but overall psychologically depressing beyond belief.

"A Beautiful Mind" was much better... :)

I suppose no time like the present: Victor and I have exchanged some thoughts and it appears he has graciously consented to do the cover art for my album, "TV Glare," scheduled for a pre-Xmas release.

Victor does wonderful work and frankly, I'm tickled pink.

Or fucia. Or something...

rde

jackson_pollack_by_victor_pross.jpg

Jackson Pollack

Methinks Victor's opinion of Mr. Pollack is somewhat...low, don't'cha think?

I haven't posted anything until today, but here goes: the Jackson Pollack cartoon is really repulsive and dumb.

With regard to Howard Stern: I can't believe anyone would let him within a country mile of a real $100M+ Pollack to do his "experiment". So, the images must have been compared through photographs, probably by nonprofessional artworlders. There is no way he could come really close to painting even a mediocre late Pollack.

There's a lot of terrific abstract art.

Re the Pollack: looks more like a Kandinsky than a Pollack to me :cool:

Oh, that's okay, I have a Kandinsky that looks like a Pollock. ;)

It doesn't look much like a Pollack to me. How about Jean Michel Basquiat ( the late, overly lamented graffiti artist referred to as Jean Michel Basketcase by the art critic Robert Hughes) over Kandinsky, with drips?

Rich wrote,

I have such mixed thoughts about his work... There are a few pieces I wouldn't mind having tacked up, just because for some reason they appeal to me visually, there's some energy in there.

I feel the same way. I don't like most of Pollock's work, but two or three stand out.

On the other hand, it's Jackson Pollock. I remember when Howard Stern did a painting in the style of Pollock, and put it amongst a bunch of actual ones, and it was undetectable.

Undetectable to whom? Beetlejuice, or serious Pollock fans and collectors?

Actually, I don't know that it would prove anything one way or the other. Even reputable critics and scholars of realistic art have had as difficult a time as Wendy the Retard would have separating great originals from crappy forgeries. A good example is the work of Dutch art forger Han van Meegeren who fooled serious art critics with his cheesy knock-offs of Vermeer, Hals, Metsu and others. His proportions were awkward, his sense of perspective was inconsistent at best, his rendering of fabrics was rigid and bulky, his colors were smudgy and completely lacking in subtlety, many of his figures had ridiculously sunken eye sockets with heavy, flapping eye lids (resembling the maudlin widows and orphans which sometimes populated the paintings to which he signed his own name), yet, even after Han had confessed to having created forgeries, many scholars and critics refused to believe him. When I look at images of his forgeries, I wonder how anyone could have thought for a second that those horribly clumsy paintings were the real thing.

I suppose no time like the present: Victor and I have exchanged some thoughts and it appears he has graciously consented to do the cover art for my album, "TV Glare," scheduled for a pre-Xmas release.

I'm looking forward to hearing your work. Put me down for a signed copy.

J

Actually, I don't know that it would prove anything one way or the other. Even reputable critics and scholars of realistic art have had as difficult a time as Wendy the Retard would have separating great originals from crappy forgeries. A good example is the work of Dutch art forger Han van Meegeren who fooled serious art critics with his cheesy knock-offs of Vermeer, Hals, Metsu and others. His proportions were awkward, his sense of perspective was inconsistent at best, his rendering of fabrics was rigid and bulky, his colors were smudgy and completely lacking in subtlety, many of his figures had ridiculously sunken eye sockets with heavy, flapping eye lids (resembling the maudlin widows and orphans which sometimes populated the paintings to which he signed his own name), yet, even after Han had confessed to having created forgeries, many scholars and critics refused to believe him. When I look at images of his forgeries, I wonder how anyone could have thought for a second that those horribly clumsy paintings were the real thing.

Examples here:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/imag...ec&ei=UTF-8

Examples here:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/imag...ec&ei=UTF-8

RE: Bessie the Chimp; if she can create paintings as great as Kandinsky's Compositions, nos. 1-8, or anything like the great Brice Marden paintings of the 90's, I'll hire her for a studio assistant. The gal has real talent, as well as a great heart and soul.