Trustee Changes: Bob Poole Joins Board, Kelley Elected Chairman

Michael Stuart Kelly

Great news at TAS! Bob Poole just jumped on board and undoubtedly will come with some exciting new ideas and directions. It is wonderful to see David Kelley taking the helm again. And further great news is that Frank Bond is staying on in an advisory capacity. The text of the TAS announcement is given below.

October 20, 2006 -- The Atlas Society, with its ObjectivistCenter, announces changes in its Board of Trustees.

poole_hires.jpg

We've added an exciting new member: Bob Poole. Bob established the Reason Foundation in 1978 and for years was editor of Reason magazine. He built that organization and that publication into highly influential instruments and voices for freedom. In addition to his current title of "Founder," Bob is also Reason's director of transportation studies. He earned his B.S. and M.S. in mechanical engineering at Massachusetts Institute of Technology and did graduate work in operations research at New YorkUniversity. Bob's advice will be of immense value as we promote Objectivist principles. Welcome aboard Bob!

Bond-1.jpg

Our long-time Chairman Frank Bond has stepped down from that position. He remains with us as our "chairman emeritus." Since 1992 Frank has been a major supporter of our organization. His advice and commitment to Objectivism and the principles of reason and freedom have been crucial for our many achievements. Frank, for example, was instrumental in making the 40th anniversary celebration of the publication of Atlas Shrugged an intellectual success that was also inspirational and just plain fun. We thank Frank for his past efforts and look forward to his counsel in the future.

Kelley_David.jpg

The Trustees have elected as new chairman David Kelley, who established the organization in 1990. David is now our senior scholar. He is one of the world's leading Objectivist philosophers; his book credits include The Evidence of the Senses, A Life of One's Own, Unrugged Individualism, and The Contested Legacy of Ayn Rand.

To make certain that David has time to pursue the intellectual work that he does best and to tap the substantial talents of our Board, we have established an executive committee that will advise us on financial tracking, programs and fundraising. The Trustees contributing their business skills are Frank Bubb, retired general counsel for The Sports Authority; Jay LaPeyre, an entrepreneur who heads up the New Orleans-based Laitram Corporation; and Ashwin Vasan, of the Connecticut-based Tudor Investment Corporation. Thanks all for your ongoing efforts!

As executive director I'll be making sure that David doesn't get too caught up in the minutia of Board activities, hence the executive committee. I want David to write, write, write, with the ocssaional speech thrown in to get the word out in an oral format. That's what I mean by the declarative "Write on!"

Michael; Let me add an amen to finishing "Logical Struction of Objectivism". The only book that lays out all of the philosphy is OPAR which need to be supplemented. I'm pleased about Bob Poole joining the broad.

Edited by Chris Grieb