Coronavirus

Peter

21 minutes ago, Mark said:

If they go through with this insane, stupid, test, will we ever see justice?

How could we?  Justice for harm to growing children?  Some of which harm might not become obvious while we're still alive.

As if things aren’t more than insane already, here’s another bright idea in the works:

plants.jpg
WWW.THEGATEWAYPUNDIT.COM

Millions of people who have refused to get an experimental mRNA vaccine may soon be forced to consume the gene therapy in their food. Researchers at the University of California were awarded a $500,000...

Ellen

(Reuters) -A U.S. appeals court on Friday affirmed its decision to put on hold an order by President Joe Biden for companies with 100 workers or more to require COVID-19 vaccines, rejecting a challenge by his administration.

The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans upheld the ruling despite the Biden administration saying on Monday that halting implementation of the rule could lead to the deaths of dozens or even hundreds of workers.

63f9afb296f72f66d6bc1f60d2099f11
NEWS.YAHOO.COM

The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans upheld the ruling despite the Biden administration saying on Monday that halting...

56 minutes ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

How could we?  Justice for harm to growing children?  Some of which harm might not become obvious while we're still alive.

Indeed.  It's a rhetorical question.

Look at the pictures of these vaccine people.  Reminds me of the phrase "the banality of evil."

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jules Troy said:

Better start saving gmo free seeds now…

I was having similar thoughts.  Also the thought of being deprived of the spinach salad which is "divine" (it's SO good) at one of my husband’s and my favorite restaurants.

There is a farmer in these parts - one of the richest people in the area with his extensive landholdings but a working farmer to this day (he's in his 70s).  He grows trustworthy produce, which is sold at a mini-store on the farm.  He could be depended on not to comply with growing "vaccined" stuff.  Likewise, his farmer daughter if she's taken over running the place when/if the produce scheme materializes.  So we'd have a place to purchase safe produce for home consumption, but restaurants would be another story - when/if.

Multiple "ifs" about the scheme materializing, since there are biological hurdles which haven’t been overcome.

I had the thought reading about the idea:

It's as if these people feel, We got the dangerous jabs, and now - by hook or by crook - we're going to be sure no one escapes.

Ellen

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ThatGuy said:

Reuters) -A U.S. appeals court on Friday affirmed its decision to put on hold an order by President Joe Biden for companies with 100 workers or more to require COVID-19 vaccines, rejecting a challenge by his administration.

The ruling is amazingly intelligent.  Amazingly because I've just about given up hoping for anything intelligent from the U.S. judiciary.

Ellen

• Smile 1

Good bye Vienna: . . . Regardless of whether the federal government approves the lockdown for the unvaccinated to apply to the entire country, unvaccinated residents in the provinces of Upper Austria and Salzburg will be under lockdown beginning Monday and will only be allowed to leave their homes for necessities such as buying groceries or going to doctor's appointments.

Here is an issue before on this thread that was incomplete. It is about the ideas of Howard Bloom.

On 10/31/2021 at 12:32 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I've been mulling around an inference of archetypes I have been making from Howard Bloom in The Global Brain. He said all super-organisms that succeed--and I believe he said going back to single cell species--have five elements that are fulfilled by the members of the superorganism for it to survive and evolve. I add that often there is one member per element, but not always. The elements are conformity enforcers, diversity generators, inner-judges, resource shifters, and intergroup tournaments.

In my storytelling, I've been making archetypes out of these elements for institutions, societies, groups, etc.

Incidentally, this is one particular area where bad fiction written by Objectivists, when they write bad fiction, are really characterized. The groups, when they exist, are awful and made out of cardboard. The characters of a story are not just individuals. Groups are characters, too. (Just look at any cop show.) The history of something or someone, when relevant to the story, can be a character. Even, at times, the setting.

On 11/1/2021 at 1:18 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Bloom's thing is for all living organisms and the organizations they form in order to survive and evolve. With emphasis on evolution. In fact, there is another part from The Lucifer Principle that I will soon add to this thread.

This is not really related to Coronavirus, but the different parts can be joined through search. Later I might make a separate discussion out of all this.

Coronavirus-wise, though, when I watch how the different "superorganisms" in human society interact and evolve, I see plenty of relevancy to the coronavirus debacle we are living through.

As to my promise, I finally came up with something from The Lucifer Principle, but the best I came up with was Bloom's own words from the book. So that is what it shall be.

There are five elements present in all surviving superorganisms. Note that these five are the foundation for the five in The Global Brain to exist.

Here is a direct quote from The Lucifer Principle near the beginning. I bolded the five concepts.

There's a strange concept in the philosophy of science called an "entelechy." An entelechy is something complex that emerges when you put a large number of simple objects together. Examine one molecule of water in a vacuum, and you'll be utterly bored by the lack of activity in your vacuum tube. Pour a bunch of molecules into a glass, and a new phenomenon crops up--a ring of ripples on the water's surface. Combine enough glasses of water in a big enough basin and you'll end up with something entirely different: an ocean. Take the 26 letters of the English alphabet, lay them out in front of you, and you'll have a set of small squiggles, each of which evokes just one or two specific sounds. String a few million together in precisely the proper order and you'll have the collected works of Shakespeare.

These are entelechies. A city, a town, a culture, a religion, a body of mythology, a hit record, a dirty joke...these, too, are the results of entelechies. Take one human being, isolate him in a room from the time he's born until the time he dies, and you'll end up with a creature incapable of using language, with little in the way of imagination--an emotional and physical wreck. But put that baby together with 50 others, and you'll end up with something entirely new--a culture.

Cultures spring into existence only when the crowd is large enough. They are a phenomenon that sweeps across the face of the multitude like a wave. The phenomenon that creates the Beatles, the phenomenon that makes a Hitler, the phenomenon that launches a new philosophy like Communism or Christian Fundamentalism, these are all entelechies at work, waves rolling over the surface of society, incorporating the minor moves of individual human beings into a massive force the way swells of the sea orchestrate insignificant twitches of water molecules into an overwhelming motion.

The perpetual churnings of the waves and the tides are stirred by the gravity of the moon. But what propels the cultural tides of human beings?

What causes a horde of barbaric nomads in the desert wastes of the Arab peninsula to suddenly coalesce under the leadership of one man and spill across the known world, carving out an empire? How does an invisible idea preached by an ayatollah pull isolated humans into surging swells of believers ready to die--or kill--for "truth?" Why does a sect originally committed to turning the other cheek flood the world with warriors who literally wade in blood? What makes a country like Victorian England crest in the domination of fully half the planet, then ebb like a spent wave from power and prosperity? What undertow is sucking America into that same path today?

Five simple concepts help explain these human currents. Each section of this book concentrates on one of those concepts... and its sometimes startling implications. Together, these concepts are the foundation underlying the Lucifer Principle.

Concept number one: the principle of self-organizing systems--replicators--bits of structure that function as mini-factories, assembling raw materials, then churning out intricate products. These natural assembly units (genes are one example) crank out their goods so cheaply that the end results are appallingly expendable. Among those expendable products are you and me.

Concept number two: the superorganism. We are not the rugged individuals we would like to be. We are, instead, disposable parts of a being much larger than ourselves.

Concept number three: the meme--a self-replicating cluster of ideas. Thanks to a handful of biological tricks, these visions become the glue that holds together civilizations, giving each culture its distinctive shape, making some intolerant of dissent and others open to diversity. They are the tools with which we unlock the forces of nature. Our visions bestow the dream of peace. They also turn us into killers.

Concept number four: the neural net, the group mind whose eccentric mode of operation manipulates our emotions and turns us into components of a massive learning machine.

Concept number five: the pecking order. The naturalist who discovered this "dominance hierarchy" in a Norwegian farmyard called it the key to despotism. Pecking orders exist among men, monkeys, wasps... and even nations. They help explain why the danger of barbarians is real, and why the assumptions of our foreign policies are often wrong.

Five simple ideas. Yet the insights they yield are amazingly rich. They reveal why doctors are not always as powerful as they seem, but why we are compelled to believe in them nonetheless.

Apropos, I couldn't resist ending on that part about doctors. After all, this is the Coronavirus thread. :) 

So how to understand this? Context, of course.

Bloom's context is that superorganisms do what they do to survive and evolve. In this sense, what is evil for an individual member can be an enormous good for the superorganism. Including killing off the individual member (or even subgroup of individuals). He holds that good and evil in human individual terms have no effect on Mother Nature one way or the other.

(btw - I have yet to find a clear definition of the principle called The Lucifer Principle. I have seen a lot of partial descriptions, but not a definition. So there's that. Still, this whole angle is an enormous insight.)

I differ with Bloom on several points, but the most drastic is one where I also disagree with Rand.

The idea of being an Individual and the idea of belonging to a group are not either-or propositions when we go to the foundation of metaphysics. The beginning. 

It's not one or the other. It's both.

I am not an individual thing stuck to a globe rolling about the universe. I am an individual human being and the entire group of humans is stuck to a globe rolling about the universe. I can no more remove the humanness from me than I can remove the individuality. I am stuck with both. That is a long discussion for later, though.

For my own intellect, Rand helped me understand the human individual in more ways than anyone else. Bloom has similarly helped me understand the human group, the human species.

When I add the two together, I feel like I am seeing a complete picture of human nature in fundamentals. There is plenty I disagree with, but now I am looking at a whole without lots of cognitive dissonance. Where one has an empty space in it, the other fills that space out. Also, where the thinking in one seems to go off the rails, the other offers corrective ideas.

I'm not comparing Bloom to Rand, however, not even qualitatively. I'm just looking at the ideas. And even though a lot of tweaking is in order, I am looking at a complete context. 

How about as people? Rand as a person has been discussed to death here on OL and elsewhere. So I have nothing to add in this post. But Bloom as a person... Dayaamm! When I look at him, I see a leftie flaming asshole who hates Trump on a Keith Obermann level. 

:) 

So why does that work with Rand in my brain? Damned if I know. I only know the ideas I have looked at do.

Go figure.

Michael

Here's one from the fringe, but I believe it has legs.

Apparently Michael Flynn and others requested through FOIA to know if there are any tests showing the following: people who are not vaccinated catching COVID-19 and recovering. But with a twist. Who then go on to infect other people with COVID-19.

In other words, do unvaccinated people who get the virus infect others after they recover?

The answer is no.

There are no studies and no documented cases of anyone like that.

You can and should check me on this. I don't feel like posting links to piles of numbers and gobbledygook I don't want to waste my brain-power on. Not because I won't do the work. If I thought it was valid, I would do the work. But I think this whole thing is a con.

Back to the point. Here is the fringe part. The fringe people claim that the vaccines themselves contain elements that allow the virus to spread. That prompt it to.

And this is why there is such a push for mandates. Without the virus spreading, no profits. No power.

And unvaccinated people kill off the virus in the big picture.

So Big Pharma & Co. are actually infecting people so they can cure these people and make a shit-ton of money.

It's a thought.

True or false? I can't say. But I can say this.

In my mind, looking at the world today, at recent history, and the proven lack of moral integrity of the people in charge of the vaccine programs, I don't see a damn thing I can call ridiculous with this idea.

In fact, I've see so much, I lean toward thinking this is more plausibly the case than not.

Michael

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Here is an issue before on this thread that was incomplete. It is about the ideas of Howard Bloom.

This is not really related to Coronavirus, but the different parts can be joined through search. Later I might make a separate discussion out of all this.

Coronavirus-wise, though, when I watch how the different "superorganisms" in human society interact and evolve, I see plenty of relevancy to the coronavirus debacle we are living through.

As to my promise, I finally came up with something from The Lucifer Principle, but the best I came up with was Bloom's own words from the book. So that is what it shall be.

There are five elements present in all surviving superorganisms. Note that these five are the foundation for the five in The Global Brain to exist.

Here is a direct quote from The Lucifer Principle near the beginning. I bolded the five concepts.

Apropos, I couldn't resist ending on that part about doctors. After all, this is the Coronavirus thread. :) 

So how to understand this? Context, of course.

Bloom's context is that superorganisms do what they do to survive and evolve. In this sense, what is evil for an individual member can be an enormous good for the superorganism. Including killing off the individual member (or even subgroup of individuals). He holds that good and evil in human individual terms have no effect on Mother Nature one way or the other.

(btw - I have yet to find a clear definition of the principle called The Lucifer Principle. I have seen a lot of partial descriptions, but not a definition. So there's that. Still, this whole angle is an enormous insight.)

I differ with Bloom on several points, but the most drastic is one where I also disagree with Rand.

The idea of being an Individual and the idea of belonging to a group are not either-or propositions when we go to the foundation of metaphysics. The beginning. 

It's not one or the other. It's both.

I am not an individual thing stuck to a globe rolling about the universe. I am an individual human being and the entire group of humans is stuck to a globe rolling about the universe. I can no more remove the humanness from me than I can remove the individuality. I am stuck with both. That is a long discussion for later, though.

For my own intellect, Rand helped me understand the human individual in more ways than anyone else. Bloom has similarly helped me understand the human group, the human species.

When I add the two together, I feel like I am seeing a complete picture of human nature in fundamentals. There is plenty I disagree with, but now I am looking at a whole without lots of cognitive dissonance. Where one has an empty space in it, the other fills that space out. Also, where the thinking in one seems to go off the rails, the other offers corrective ideas.

I'm not comparing Bloom to Rand, however, not even qualitatively. I'm just looking at the ideas. And even though a lot of tweaking is in order, I am looking at a complete context. 

How about as people? Rand as a person has been discussed to death here on OL and elsewhere. So I have nothing to add in this post. But Bloom as a person... Dayaamm! When I look at him, I see a leftie flaming asshole who hates Trump on a Keith Obermann level. 

So why does that work with Rand in my brain? Damned if I know. I only know the ideas I have looked at do.

Go figure.

Michael

Re: superorganisms, memes, etc: This all sounds like it overlaps with Richard Dawkins' THE SELFISH GENE...(I last read that in the 90's, and only remember the overall themes, so I don't remember if Bloom was mentioned in that or not...)

• Smile 1

Re overlaps, thems seem to be some of the most important bits, the ‘ones’ that are identified and mined or give us a lens or context to ‘certainfy’ the truthfulness of our understanding of aspects of the  ‘real’ reality, the elusive (on an emotional level) of seeing the correct objective realness.

’We’ need to pay attention to overlaps , even between seemingly disparate disciplines, they are big signals , yeah ?

In the United States as of today November 13, 2021, there have been 46,949,943 confirmed cases of coronavirus and 761,354 deaths.

But heck, it isn’t so bad . . . . unless you have those pesky “underlying conditions.” Here are a few things that affect your Coronavirus survival rate. From The CDC: Summary of Conditions with Evidence Cancer Cerebrovascular disease Chronic kidney disease* Chronic lung diseases limited to: Interstitial lung disease Pulmonary embolism Pulmonary hypertension Bronchopulmonary dysplasia Bronchiectasis COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) Chronic liver diseases limited to: Cirrhosis Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease Alcoholic liver disease Autoimmune hepatitis Diabetes mellitus, type 1 and type 2* Heart conditions (such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies) Mental health disorders limited to: Mood disorders, including depression Schizophrenia spectrum disorders Obesity (BMI ≥30 kg/m2)* Pregnancy and recent pregnancy Smoking, current and former Tuberculosis

What is the best way to calculate body mass index? You can also calculate it yourself: Multiply your weight in pounds by 703. Divide that answer by your height in inches. Divide that answer by your height in inches again.

From the National Institute of Health Library:  . . . Conclusions and implications: This meta-analysis with more than half million of COVID-19 patients from different countries highlights the determinant effect of age on mortality with the relevant thresholds on age >50 years and, especially, >60 years. Older adult patients should be prioritized in the implementation of preventive measures.

I got the following stats from The Washington Post archives and many of these are estimates. The Black Death from 1347 to 1352 caused 75 to 200 million deaths. The Great Plague of London in 1665 caused 75,000 to 100,000 deaths.  Yellow fever in the late 1800’s 150,000 deaths. The flu in 1918 caused 50 million deaths. HIV Aids 1981 to current date 35 million.

If you've ever wondered what lymphoid dendritic cells might look like ... this video is remarkable. 

29 minutes ago, Peter said:

I got the following stats from The Washington Post archives

Ah, yes, the ever-reliable Washington Post Archives...

"WaPo Issues Major Corrections to Reports on Steele Dossier"

"The Washington Post corrected and deleted large portions of old articles on the infamous Steele dossier on Friday after discovering that a key fact in those reports is likely wrong.

"The Steele dossier is a report compiled by ex-British spy Christopher Steele and funded by Democrats detailing alleged attempts by President Donald Trump’s campaign to work with Russian agents to influence the 2016 election. The dossier’s key claims have yet to be substantiated, and many claims have been debunked outright."

2021-04-03_21.54.16.jpg
GAB.COM

Resist the Mainstream on Gab: '🔴 WaPo Issues Major Corrections to Reports on Steele...

Untitled-1-26.jpg
RESISTTHEMAINSTREAM.ORG

The media needs to be held to a higher standard and accountability.

"Trust the media. Trust the science."
I, for one, welcome our new overlords...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThatGuy said:

Re: superorganisms, memes, etc: This all sounds like it overlaps with Richard Dawkins' THE SELFISH GENE...

TG,

Bloom does discuss Dawkins. He likes the meme idea, but thinks Dawkins is way incomplete.

It's the individual organism and superorganism thing.

Note, this superorganism thing might sound like collectivism, but it's not. Collectivism is an ideology. A superorganism is organic.

It's kind of like the difference between philosophical altruism and biological altruism.

When we look at the manmade, we can say it doesn't have to be that way. When we look at nature and see something exist, it's folly to say it doesn't exist or doesn't have to be that way.

Humans can change chosen human organization and chosen human motivation. Humans cannot change nature as it is.

To tie this to the coronavirus theme, it would be silly to claim a pandemic is made up of individual viruses and nothing further, implying that all the viruses came into being or acted the same way because of coincidence. There is a virus species. And that is a thing. What's more, the species mutates along with the individuals.

Michael

• Upvote 2

Just relaying…

465A5775-3171-4AA3-9E43-7371C9F3A524-sca
WWW.THEGATEWAYPUNDIT.COM

Update: More on the Reported COVID-19 Lab Leak at East China University of Science and Technology in Shanghai. This morning we shared a report from Col. and PhD Lawrence Sellin about a reported...

Ellen

22 hours ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

[Quoting from an embedded link/blurb] Millions of people who have refused to get an experimental mRNA vaccine may soon be forced to consume the gene therapy in their food.

While we are waiting for may soon, perhaps an allocation of newfangled anti-viral feed will be sorted for so-called "animal reservoirs" like Bambi and Co ...

[Preprint via Biorxiv:  https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.10.31.466677v1]

0a505dd4-6b4b-4260-b57b-d7de8f3caf31-dee
WWW.INVERSE.COM

Between April 2020 and January 2021, up to 80 percent of white-tailed deer in Iowa became infected with SARS-CoV-2 — the virus that causes Covid-19.
Edited by william.scherk
Added [Quoting ...], added link to pre-print

The site below is a satire news website, but I have a feeling, if you know where to look, an actual market (not satire) is forming.

SODOMSUN.COM

“It’s the new white gold. Forget about BitCoin; the real money is in unvaccinated sperm,” shared Samuel Yankwell of a local sperm bank, GoodSeed 4U.“Nobody’s interested in post-jab material; all they care...

Michael

• Smile 1

5 hours ago, ThatGuy said:

Ah, yes, the ever-reliable Washington Post Archives...

"WaPo Issues Major Corrections to Reports on Steele Dossier"

"The Washington Post corrected and deleted large portions of old articles on the infamous Steele dossier on Friday after discovering that a key fact in those reports is likely wrong.

"The Steele dossier is a report compiled by ex-British spy Christopher Steele and funded by Democrats detailing alleged attempts by President Donald Trump’s campaign to work with Russian agents to influence the 2016 election. The dossier’s key claims have yet to be substantiated, and many claims have been debunked outright."

2021-04-03_21.54.16.jpg
GAB.COM

Resist the Mainstream on Gab: '🔴 WaPo Issues Major Corrections to Reports on Steele...

Untitled-1-26.jpg
RESISTTHEMAINSTREAM.ORG

The media needs to be held to a higher standard and accountability.

"Trust the media. Trust the science."
I, for one, welcome our new overlords...

Here's another one, where WAPO was "bought" by a health-care lobbyist during the Obama administration...

Private "salon" solicitation

In July 2009, in the midst of an intense debate over health care reform, The Politico reported that a health-care lobbyist had received an "astonishing" offer of access to the Post's "health-care reporting and editorial staff."[129] Post publisher Katharine Weymouth had planned a series of exclusive dinner parties or "salons" at her private residence, to which she had invited prominent lobbyists, trade group members, politicians, and business people.[130] Participants were to be charged $25,000 to sponsor a single salon, and $250,000 for 11 sessions, with the events being closed to the public and to the non-Post press.[131] Politico's revelation gained a somewhat mixed response in Washington[132][133][134] as it gave the impression that the parties' sole purpose was to allow insiders to purchase face time with Post staff.

Almost immediately following the disclosure, Weymouth canceled the salons, saying, "This should never have happened." White House counsel Gregory B. Craig reminded officials that under federal ethics rules, they need advance approval for such events. Post Executive Editor Marcus Brauchli, who was named on the flier as one of the salon's "Hosts and Discussion Leaders," said he was "appalled" by the plan, adding, "It suggests that access to Washington Post journalists was available for purchase."[135][136]

3 hours ago, william.scherk said:

While we are waiting for may soon, perhaps an allocation of newfangled anti-viral feed will be sorted for so-called "animal reservoirs" like Bambi and Co ..

I can’t tell if you missed that the "newfangled anti-viral feed" doesn’t exist at this time.  Researchers are attempting to make it.  The stuff wouldn’t actually be "anti-viral" if it were made, just harmful, to wildlife as well as to humans.

(I haven’t read the "Inverse" piece you linked to, just glanced at it. I don’t know anything about that publication and its expectable degree of trustworthiness.)

Ellen

• Upvote 1