Verdict: Monsanto GUILTY!

jts

From the point of view of irrational conspiracy theorists, this is great news. But from the point of view of rational Objectivists, this is a horror story. Therefore I put it in the horror file cabinet.

From the general himself. Jeffrey Smith (the narrator) was the master strategist (the general) who masterminded the downfall of Monsanto. So I think of him as The General.

I can't watch the video right now, but I heard the news the other day. I don't know much about the case, but my feeling is that this is another ridiculous result. Chemicals have side effects. If we ban all chemicals, we'll be overrun by weeds and insects. There are always trade-offs.

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, jts said:

Monsanto gets a lot of mean mouthing from health nuts. I am surprised that to my knowledge the Objectivist community is not defending Monsanto as a heroic productive company like they did Microsoft.

Like so many other rotten, criminal, crony-statist corporate entities, they will shortly be bankrupted, broken-up and scattered by a genuine system of justice. Trump isn’t done cleaning up DOJ and the corrupted courts, far from it. Soon.

• 3 weeks later...

What if the stuff in Monsanto's weed killer really did substantially increase the probability of getting non-Hodgkins Lymphoma?  If  Monsanto did not  post a clear warning about the danger wouldn't the company be liable for damages?  

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

The good, the bad, and the ugly. My wife keeps using RoundUp though I have cautioned her about it. Damn but it does work to kill weeds along our ditch bank. I believe most if not all of the lawsuits are from people who have used RoundUp in a professional capacity, as with professional gardeners, farmers, and grounds keepers. Peter  

Notes. Breaking news RoundUp Settlement Talks Underway On August 9, 2019, it was reported that Monsanto’s parent company Bayer is considering a settlement in the billions, to appease more than 18,000 lawsuits alleging that its weed killer RoundUp causes cancer. Monsanto's RoundUp is one of the most widely used herbicides in the world. Farmers, landscapers, nursery workers, as well as home gardeners have used this weed killer--believing the product’s safety claims. Cases have proceeded to trial in both state and federal court and several other lawsuits are currently awaiting trial in 2019 and 2020. You may be entitled to a substantial settlement if you were exposed to RoundUp and diagnosed with any of the below: Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Small Lymphocytic Lymphoma Mantle Cell Lymphoma B or T-Cell Lymphoma Hairy Cell Leukemia Other Cancers Available 24/7 800-648-1999

• 4 months later...