On 2/21/2019 at 7:30 PM, caroljane said:

lol. orange  and white dogman funny.

I was in Vegas about 10 years ago and The Blue Man group would have been fun to see. I had excellent third row tickets for Barry Manilow but gave them away at the last minute to a bride and groom I knew. Sigh.

Hollywood hipster coffee shops will never be the same.

Spoiler

On 2/25/2019 at 11:02 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Woo hoo!

:)

Michael

Veritas is now getting the goods on Facebook.

I just learned a new word: deboosting.

Here's the written story on the Veritas site:

Facebook Insider Leaks Docs; Explains “Deboosting,” “Troll Report,” & Political Targeting in Video Interview

More... we need more...

Michael

• Like 1

Users of far-right social network Gab can now comment on the entire internet

-- although the 'entire internet' will not be able to see your comment until they install a browser extension -- or follow a seven-step process.

welcome2dissenter.png 

Spoiler

GAB!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see how Facebook is going to avoid the MySpace effect and tank to a ghost of its former self.

When the stampede starts (actually it has started, but it's way early in its early stage), it's going to be quite a show.

Get this:

Facebook Bans Zero Hedge

and this:

Facebook takes down Elizabeth Warren ads calling for breakup of Facebook

Rather than refute, Facebook is banning. And it thinks banning will work to silence major figures in our culture. And once the people at Facebook get into this habit, I predict they will go haywire. They are pissing off people of all persuasions.

Man oh man...

Michael

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I don't see how Facebook is going to avoid the MySpace effect and tank to a ghost of its former self.

When the stampede starts (actually it has started, but it's way early in its early stage), it's going to be quite a show.

Get this:

Facebook Bans Zero Hedge

and this:

Facebook takes down Elizabeth Warren ads calling for breakup of Facebook

Rather than refute, Facebook is banning. And it thinks banning will work to silence major figures in our culture. And once the people at Facebook get into this habit, I predict they will go haywire. They are pissing off people of all persuasions.

Man oh man...

Michael

It seems so extreme and irrational.

I like to explore alternatives. What if MZ knows more than we do about what’s coming next, and it isn’t extreme and he isn’t irrational? If we adhere to him being smart, it implies he has no good options for what comes next and this is actually the best action for now.

Why would she talk like that? She knows more than we?

It all implies a huge bomb landing on Facebook and MZ in the near future.

That was quick.

Facebook backtracks after removing Warren ads calling for Facebook breakup

And look here:

Backroom deals anyone?

To me, it's a plain as the sun in the sky.

Oh... btw - Warren said nothing about Zero Hedge in her "social media marketplace that isn't dominated by a single censor." She would rather have one with multiple censors who answer to her. And I have no doubt she would ever lose sleep over Zero Hedge, which would merely be an egg that needs to be broken in order to make an omelette.

To these folks, this is about power, not principle.

Michael

Aaaaaaand...

Facebook Reverses Zero Hedge Ban, Says It Made A "Mistake"

I wonder if a tweet by Donald Trump Jr. had anything to do with it...

:) 

Or, on a more sinister level, I wonder if Facebook is censoring a whole shitload of others and using these high profile Ban-UnBan things to hog the press about it.

Michael

A re-plug of the Dissenter app and online site.  

On 3/1/2019 at 11:48 AM, william.scherk said:

welcome2dissenter.png 

Here is the top Dissent on the site ...

https://dissenter.com/comment/5c889f307ac5a13381fe0a98

Another intriguing Dissent, for those that can't get enough of a good thing:

https://dissenter.com/comment/5c890bdf556fd27d1f4d7d24

I haven't dug yet into the script that gives the green button on Youtube, but it's a useful addition for dissenters. Imagine if there was one on every OL page!

magickKoolAidYoutubeDissenterButton.png

Edited by william.scherk
Added a pic of the newest feature of the extension

7 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

For those following this things, Tim Pool has, in my opinion, a correct analysis:

It will take quite a while yet to die, but, barring some sudden development, it's past its peak and well into the slide down.

Michael

Would you care to put that in writing?

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

Would you care to put that in writing?

Peter,

Sure.

Facebook keeps screwing its users by selling data (including letting access to people's private messages without their consent) and is facing serious one legal problem after another. So users are leaving in droves.

Millennials have mostly abandoned Facebook. That means as they grow older, and Facebook's older users die off, what's left of Facebook will become like AOL where the same thing happened.

There's more, but that's the gist.

Micheal

Michael wrote, "There's more, but that's the gist." 

Thanks Michael. I was trying to make a joke. You had already put it in writing, so if you put writing into writing, you would be . . . John Grisham? 

I have never been to Face Book, but I remember vaguely a movie I glanced at on TV.  AOL? I haven't heard those initials in a while. "You've got mail." I like watching movies from ten, twenty, or so years ago just to see the clunky computers. And I remember an old movie with an old car phone and the phone may have weighed 2 clunky pounds.  

From the BBC ... "US politician Devin Nunes sues Twitter over insults" ...

See also a variety of slanted and mocking reports in the "news" here.

From Memeorandum; the collective mood seems to be MOCK ...

Spoiler
TOP ITEMS: 
i36.jpgshare.png Aaron Blake / Washington Post:
The ridiculousness of Devin Nunes suing ‘Devin Nunes’ cow' — and what it really signals  —  There is a Twitter account called “Devin Nunes' cow” that has tweeted nasty things about Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.).  Evidently, the account is not actually run by a cow belonging to Nunes.
RELATED:
i96.jpgshare.png Gregg Re / Fox News:
Nunes sues Twitter, some users, seeks over $250M alleging anti-conservative ‘shadow bans,’ smears  —  California GOP Rep. Devin Nunes filed a major lawsuit seeking $250 million in compensatory damages and $350,000 in punitive damages against Twitter and a handful of its users on Monday …
Discussion:
i26.jpgshare.png Daniel Chaitin / Washington Examiner:
‘Devin Nunes’ Cow' reacts to lawsuit: 'I'm not quitting my day job'  —  The user behind the “Devin Nunes' Cow” Twitter account won't be so easily cowed by Rep. Devin Nunes' lawsuit.  —  The California Republican is suing Twitter and a handful of users for defamation and “shadow banning,” …
i116.jpgshare.png The Daily Beast: 
Rep. Devin Nunes Files $250M Defamation Lawsuit Against Twitter, Two Anonymous Twitter Accounts
Discussion:

"Nunes" in OL comments.

4 hours ago, william.scherk said:

From Memeorandum; the collective mood seems to be MOCK ...

The collective mood of propagandists, not collective mood of everybody.

Propagandists...

I prefer reasoned fact-filled discourse from a man who is one of the few who actually debated Jack Dorsey in public. (How many of the propagandists in the howling mob can say that?)

I don't agree with Tim Poole on many things, but he's no propagandist. I am a fan of his.

In this post you are reading right now and the one preceding it, you have the entire theme of a Rand-based website.

Should we go with a howling mob of fake news media propagandists, or with reason expressed by an individual independent thinker doing his honest best (and, incidentally, due to his talent, changing the world for the better)?

Don't forget the pure futility of the howling mob mocking President Trump when he started his election campaign. With Trump, once again, an independent individual using reason stepped up and changed the world for the better.

So which is it? A mindless herd or a man of the mind?

Choose your side.

I've chosen mine.

Michael

17 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

So which is it? A mindless herd or a man of the mind?

Choose your side.

I've chosen mine.

This may be viewed as a false alternative. Also known as false dichotomy, black-and-white fallacy, false binary, false comparison.  

ridiculeNunesQuoteFromLawsuit.png

Edited by william.scherk
Added video of Devin Nunes on Hannity at Fox

3 hours ago, william.scherk said:

This may be viewed as a false alternative.

William,

And it also can be viewed as a priority, which is what I do.

Obviously, we all live in a collective society and it influences us. And just as obviously we are all individuals.

But which one kicks in first when one decides to trash a person or do something great?

That's what one chooses--the default priority.

For example, at a football game, you can choose to root for your team right along with the mindless herd. You give vent and catharsis to that impulse that is in all of us. It's fun and there's nothing wrong with it. That's why we put satisfying this impulse into a structured safe environment with a game to observe.

But when one is faced a mindless mob of fake news mockery and sees it is also possible to hunt down facts and think critically, but chooses the mindless mob as default--and implies that this is everybody to boot, one has turned off the critical reasoning individual inside one's soul. That's fun, too. It's icky fun, but still fun.

To be clear, the guy who hunts down facts and uses his brain on purpose under his own individual command lives in a collective and is influenced by it, but that collective influence is distant when he is using his brain in this manner. The person who gives over to the ecstasy of mob outrage and mob mockery in the place of using his brain is also an individual, but his individual will is practically asleep at the time.

Think of it like a seesaw where both sides never go away and the board raises one side up in the gravitational pull--instead of an on-off button. Then it becomes a clearer metaphor than the filter you are using. 

So the false alternative you mentioned is nothing more than a semantics game used for muddying clear water.

Like I said, I go with the man of the mind as my default priority (except when the Patriots are playing :) ). Others go with the mindless herd.

We all make our choices. 

But then we have to live with the consequences of our choices. And those consequences will not go away with a gotcha or put down. Reality is cruel like that. It's indifferent to snark.

Michael

btw - One can view Nunes as a self-pitying creep playing a victimhood card, or one can view him as using a legal resource to illuminate bigoted actions the creepy big brother wannabees in the tech giants want to keep hidden. Especially since their bigotry is the sole factor in them trying to cheat to influence elections. Also, Nunes could possibly punish them for their misbehavior if he wins the lawsuit (to any extent).

I, myself, in your shoes would not dismiss the legal talent Nunes has accumulated just so I could laugh at him along with the fake news media mob your side often uses for its brains. (btw - I doubt the Twitter people are joining in the merriment.) People on your side did that same brainless mob thing recently and President Trump got elected. They did that same brainless mob thing with Gawker and now it's bust. They did that same brainless mob thing with Salon and suddenly it couldn't even pay its rent. I could go on and on because the examples about. So I say yuk it up. Schadenfreude is not my favorite pleasure, but I am an enthusiastic imbiber when it is offered and a brainless vicious mob deserves its comeuppance. :evil:  :) 

Some of the individuals on your side have good independent minds when they turn them on. I wish more would do that, but, with sporadic exceptions, they don't.

Michael