When the Catholic Church gets creepy

Just so we don't keep discussing Hollywood and elitist pedophiles (and more mundane ones), we have to include the Catholic Church. There have just been too many cases.

About a week ago, there was this (from Reuters):

U.S. cardinal steps down amid widening sex abuse scandal

This was for a 50 year old case, but the boy was 16 at the time. And other people have come forward, including one minor who claimed he was 11 at the time of the abuse.

This side of the Catholic Church is disgusting, but it keeps happening. It's a serious problem that needs fixing, so goddamit, they need to fix it.

I'm not a typical Randian because I see great value in certain organized religions throughout history, and that means on up to today, albeit, I am not a member of any organized religion.

But this stuff makes it hard.

For an overall view, here's a Wikipedia article:

Catholic Church sexual abuse cases

Michael

For several years I have considered the real possibility that "all priests" even some who are married as is done in the Episcopal Church are potential pedophiles and may have eagerly sought the job to have blasphemous access to children. In other words, not only are they monsters, but they are scam artists too. They don't care if they burn in hell because they don't believe in "their god" and hell, any way.

Guest bob_hayden

I thought the priesthood was what Catholic societies did with their homosexuals.  (Hey, who else would be happy to forgo sex with women?-)  I would not have a problem with that except that they preach against homosexuality.  But what percentage of priests actually practice child abuse?  I think cases get a lot of publicity because people are shocked.  And I think priests tend to cover up child abuse because they are already covering up their homosexuality, and the fact the victims are so often boys would tend to blow their cover on that count. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bob_hayden

Meanwhile the pope is planning to visit Ireland -- the first such visit in decades.  Much has changed since then, what with the creepy clerics and the referenda on same sex marriage and abortion.There is all manner of silliness appearing to welcome the pope. 

Image result for ireland lollypope

Though I have enjoyed being a lapsed Catholic for close to 60 years, I do wish the Holy Father had consulted me about these candies.  Given the recent history of the Church, I fear too much symbolic meaning may be attached to encouraging millions of young lads to take the pope into their mouths. 

3 hours ago, bob_hayden said:

Though I have enjoyed being a lapsed Catholic for close to 60 years, I do wish the Holy Father had consulted me about these candies.  Given the recent history of the Church, I fear too much symbolic meaning may be attached to encouraging millions of young lads to take the pope into their mouths. 

Only a pervert would make such an association.

stainedglassblowjob.jpg

On 8/4/2018 at 8:22 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Just so we don't keep discussing Hollywood and elitist pedophiles (and more mundane ones), we have to include the Catholic Church. There have just been too many cases.

About a week ago, there was this (from Reuters):

U.S. cardinal steps down amid widening sex abuse scandal

This was for a 50 year old case, but the boy was 16 at the time. And other people have come forward, including one minor who claimed he was 11 at the time of the abuse.

This side of the Catholic Church is disgusting, but it keeps happening. It's a serious problem that needs fixing, so goddamit, they need to fix it.

I'm not a typical Randian because I see great value in certain organized religions throughout history, and that means on up to today, albeit, I am not a member of any organized religion.

But this stuff makes it hard.

For an overall view, here's a Wikipedia article:

Catholic Church sexual abuse cases

Michael

When it happens in any church (or anywhere else   it is disgusting, The incidence only goes up because of the  disastrously wrong ancient decision to impose celibacy upon priests.. 

Easy fix -- "St Paul, you were wrong"--times have changed.

Well.maybe not so easy.

1 hour ago, 9thdoctor said:

Only a pervert would make such an association.

stainedglassblowjob.jpg

Agree,  though I do not know how perverts make associations.

I read a lot of history and the destruction of glass mastepieces of thqa shape seems to have been a favourite pastime of the Puritan army, after they had emptied out the convents.  Part of the Reformation. Make of it psychologicaly what you will