Movie, "Veiled Threat", filmed but, has it been released?

Link:  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098582/  I came across this film being mentioned in The Intellectual Activist, in that it was based on a true case, the real-life murder of an Iranian journalist living in Orange County. The movie was made, but in the aftermath of the Ayatollah Khomeini's death threat against Salmon Rushie, it failed to find a distributor. I had seen references to a Polish VHS release called Grozba , but no clue as to where to purchase a copy, or even an URL to where one can watch it on the internet. Can anyone help out? Here are two images on the VHS cover.

Threat..jpg

Threat.jpg

• 4 years later...

Peter,

Thanks. I was going to see that series.

Now I won't waste my time.

I didn't see Deadwood on Netflix, although I tried. But the anachronisms were killing me. People were constantly saying motherfucker and cocksucker and things like that. They didn't talk like that in a Wild West frontier town in the 1800s.

Did you see Inventing Anna? That's a Shonda Rhimes story based on a real con-lady. It is excellent, so much so I am studying the scene breakdowns of the episodes and so on. I'm very interested as a writer since there are no car chases in it. No gun fights. Nothing like that. And the romance stories are in second place, too. But there is lots of suspense. 

It's mostly about a reporter who is seeking to understand the subject (the con-lady) she is writing a story on. She wants to know why that subject messes with her head so much. And Anna, brilliantly played by Julia Garner (who had already outdone herself as the trailer trash Ruth in Ozark), is a kind of black box for the viewer. It's easy to see her fragilities, but hard to get inside her. And her open defiance of convention without a smidgen of remorse or fear is like a glass of cold water in the desert out here in Cancel-Culture-Woke-Land.

I love Shonda's work, but I only saw the trailer of Bridgerton on Netflix. When I saw black people among the nobility of England in the early 1800s, I couldn't resonate with the woke-ass anachronism. Shonda is a magnificent writer and, granted, she was only the producer of Bridgerton. But why do that shit?

Incidentally, she has a marvelous MasterClass on writing. She said she herself learned writing TV series by taking a season of The West Wing by Aaron Sorkin, dismantling it and analyzing it 12 ways to Sunday. She did that for a full year.

That is advice I intend to follow, except I do not want to do that with Sorkin's work. I am not even going to do that with Inventing Anna, but I am going to dismantle that show and look under the hood.

I recently saw 2 of the 4 seasons of Goliath (and the start of the 3rd so far--on Amazon). What a weird-ass lawyer-detective show. It's as colorful as all get-out, with William Hurt clicking up a storm as the villain in the first season. Like I said, weird.

And there's this. Billy Bob Thornton tries to do long slow silent close-up takes like Clint Eastwood does. It gives you a kind of uncanny valley feel. Something's off. That is not a good role or demeanor for Billy Bob Thornton. But at least he makes me want to see more, sort of like watching a person walk along the edge of a tall building. Will he fall off? So there is enough tension to keep me looking at least.

And did I mention the weirdness?

:) 

I am very grateful to the show for reminding me of a song I had heard infrequently, but used to love and never knew who sang it. Now I do and I am glad I got to look into the songwriter, Mickey Newbury.

The song is this one:

And to think, this thing gave Kenny Rogers his start at fame.

Like I keep saying, weird...

:)

btw - Mickey Newbury has beautiful songs, nothing like this one. Sweet Memories, for example is one of his.

Michael