Robert Sapolsky on what makes humans different

BaalChatzaf

You have to experience Sapolsky's thinking and views  to realize how utterly right his is about human nature.  Sapolsky is a neurobiologist and an expert on primates (including humans)  and their brain workings.  He is a MacArthur  grant recipient.  He was brought up as an Orthodox Jew  but is now an atheist.   Here is some of his Biographical background. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Sapolsky  You can skip his introduction and start  viewing at 4:42

Do see this:  

49 minutes ago, BaalChatzaf said:

You have to experience Sapolsky's thinking and views  to realize how utterly right his is about human nature. 

So chimps have minds but you don't? :) Sapolsky even says (only) humans have a secondary theory of mind.  17:04.

1 minute ago, merjet said:

So chimps have minds but you don't? :) Sapolsky even says (only) humans have a secondary theory of mind.  17:04.

Chimps have brains  that do the same sort of things that my brains do.  When he says "mind"  he means brain and nervous system.  He is a neurobiologist  not a psychologist or some other kind of Shrink.

10 minutes ago, BaalChatzaf said:

Chimps have brains  that do the same sort of things that my brains do.  When he says "mind"  he means brain and nervous system.  He is a neurobiologist  not a psychologist or some other kind of Shrink.

I am so glad I have you to explain reality to me. :)  I must be a second-hander. :)

4 hours ago, merjet said:

"Turns out humans aren't the only ones who can dance:"

Or moonwalk.  

Birds were doing that long before Michael Jackson....

My brother as a physical anthropologist has this same orientation as Sapolsky. Seeing humans from the perspective of their being primates has some value. My basic and primary perspective is different. I admit that since non-human primates are simpler than humans they are easier to study. Such knowledge then can be extrapolated to some extent to us up-right walkers and talkers and thinkers.

--Brant

55 minutes ago, Peter said:

Recently, on a replay of the Johnny Carson show, they had a "lesser ape" and a monkey. Both had diapers. Me no need diaper. That blond who brought the animals out is intriguing. Carson can be found at 10 pm on Antenna TV.

This may not be the show you refer to, but I'd bet the blond you refer to is Joan Embery of the San Diego Zoo. She was a frequent guest.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 4:54 PM, merjet said:

This may not be the show you refer to, but I'd bet the blond you refer to is Joan Embery of the San Diego Zoo. She was a frequent guest.

I saw a different show but that was great, Merjet. Johnny Carson  just kept laughing. That little orang acted like a human baby.