I just now realized that the prompt in the upper right sign-in block raises some metaphysical questions. The prompt is not for "Registered User" or "Approved Customer."  It asks if you are an Existing User.  Is it not metaphysically impossible to be a non-existing user?  

And would it not be a logical contradiction to attempt to be an existing non-user if you were using the site at this moment, regardless of your contractual status?  For one thing, you can view without signing in. I do that, sometimes, just to see what is happening.  And the site software does allow you to log in anonymously, does it not?  And if you just view the homepage and click off, you have still used, and are therefore an existing user (of low engagement).

1 hour ago, syrakusos said:

I just now realized that the prompt in the upper right sign-in block raises some metaphysical questions. The prompt is not for "Registered User" or "Approved Customer."  It asks if you are an Existing User.  Is it not metaphysically impossible to be a non-existing user?  

And would it not be a logical contradiction to attempt to be an existing non-user if you were using the site at this moment, regardless of your contractual status?  For one thing, you can view without signing in. I do that, sometimes, just to see what is happening.  And the site software does allow you to log in anonymously, does it not?  And if you just view the homepage and click off, you have still used, and are therefore an existing user (of low engagement).

Change "existing user"  to "registered user"

I am not arguing for a change. I like the whimsy.  Besides, it might be a basic feature of the Invision BBS software, and be totally beyond MSK's control. If you know Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged, that kind of humor was one of Francisco d'Anconia's attributes : "I never deny anything."

(BTW, Bob, just a personal annoyance, and I think we discussed this a couple of years ago: Your habit of quoting the entire post that you are replying to just clutters up the board. It also makes you look like you have a base-10 two-digit IQ.) 

5 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Michael,

LOL...

After all, this is a philosophy board.

Finally IPB did something right.

I wonder if it could be altered to noumenal user and phenomenal user...

:)

Michael

I Kant believe that you said that!

6 hours ago, Brant Gaede said:

The problem is I come into and out of existence and sometimes I have to wait before signing in.

--Brant

I'm not wanted to sign in until I'm in the here--it's just a friendly reminder

British actor Hugh Brant wrote about his teleportation experience on the newest TV Star Trek Show: The problem is I come into and out of existence and sometimes I have to wait before signing in. end quote

At least we no longer need fear beaming up to the Enterprise or down to Earth any more, since no “accidents” have occurred in 50 years. How did we ever live without this mode of transportation? I don’t know about you, but I feel a sense of “power” when I feel myself re-materialize. Damn it is fun.

22 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I wonder if it could be altered to noumenal user and phenomenal user...

We are all "phenoms" here; that's for sure... I wonder, though, if you would be willing to create a Noumenal button under your own control for ideal work. Of course, by deontology that would mean that we would look to such posts as standards to follow, even if no one benefited, even if everyone were harmed. No, better not. SOLO already went down that road.