Bitcoin and Ethereum

Does anybody follow them?  I know there's a lot of reason to be skeptical but they've shot up in value a lot lately.

It might have something to do with computer viruses holding computers hostage until fees in bitcoin are paid.  Or due to people trying to get their money out of oppressive countries.

I see no crushing reason for bitcoins. If you have a credit card and buy online, you don't need currency backed by nothing. And you have recourse to a refund if you are defrauded or someone steals your card's number. Has anyone ever stolen someone else's bitcoins? I think the whole concept of a new imaginary currency, backed up by its current value, is a pipe dream.

I wonder what would happen if Amazon and other major sites decided to only accept bitcoins as payment? They would go bankrupt which doesn't really prove anything, but simply illustrates the idea that credit cards are the new currency of choice, already. Are there any international credit cards, from which you can purchase products in different currencies?

Peter