Gary Leonard Hull

Mark

Gary Hull was a senior writer at ARI from 1997 to 2002.  ARI still carries a couple of his books.  He was a professor at Duke University and at some point director of the “Program on Values and Ethics in the Marketplace.” (In 2007 BB&T gave Duke $1.75 million to set it up.)  Sometime in 2014 (?) Hull left Duke.  It appears (assuming it’s the same person) he was arrested in 2015 on an outstanding warrant for embezzlement.  The arrested man was also charged with identity theft.  See the comments section of this page from Ed Cline’s blog:
https://ruleofreason.blogspot.com/2014/09/thumbs-down-on-voltaire-press.html
The last comment is dated Feb 8, 2016.  Anyone know of more recent developments?

CORRECTION:  BB&T Charitable Foundation gave Duke University $1 million in 2002 to run the Program on Values and Ethics in the Marketplace, and had made contributions to that end before that.  The $1.75 million in 2007 was to keep it going for another seven years.  It doesn't seem to be in operation now.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Gary Hull was a senior writer at ARI from 1997 to 2002.  ARI still carries a couple of his books.  He was a professor at Duke University and at some point director of the “Program on Values and Ethics in the Marketplace.” (In 2007 BB&T gave Duke $1.75 million to set it up.)  Sometime in 2014 (?) Hull left Duke.  It appears (assuming it’s the same person) he was arrested in 2015 on an outstanding warrant for embezzlement.  The arrested man was also charged with identity theft.  See the comments section of this page from Ed Cline’s blog:
https://ruleofreason.blogspot.com/2014/09/thumbs-down-on-voltaire-press.html

Hmph. And I thought I was disreputable!

I met Gary Hull in the mid-nineties.  He was a presenter at a weekend conference I attended, it was a Lyceum one, which was Yaron Brook’s organization before he became head ARI honcho.  Richard Salsman and Andy Bernstein were the other presenters.  I vaguely recall meeting Yaron there (he wasn’t a known figure yet).  There were upwards of a hundred attendees.  I operated as something of a gadfly during the Q&A’s.  I recall getting into a back and forth with Hull about the morality of violating laws.  Particularly tax laws; that was the jumping off point.  I made the case that it was immoral because it’s imprudent, and went on to something along the lines of a Categorical Imperative type formulation.  I can’t recall the logical structure of his rebuttal, but he sharply disagreed and (naturally) got the last word.  Reading about his recent troubles now…ironic is the word that comes to mind.  From my limited interactions with him (which included some one on one chats during break periods) I certainly liked the guy.  So I’m not gloating. 

I followed the links and there isn’t much information to be gleaned.  Just that he was arrested in Missouri for identity theft and for being wanted in another state.  The mugshot is definitely him (Cline casts doubt, but there’s no doubt in my mind).  Did he get out?  Can't tell.  By now, probably.

I did some Googling and found his Rate My Professor page.  There is some amusement to be found there:

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=276534

Imagine the students he flunked reveling in schadenfreude.