leaving Islam

jts

David Wood is a Christian who bashes Islam. I have no use for either religion but I think Islam is worse. These videos show that there is hope for Muslims. But it would be better if they would convert to Atheism or Objectivism than to Christianity.

2 hours ago, jts said:

David Wood is a Christian who bashes Islam. I have no use for either religion but I think Islam is worse. These videos show that there is hope for Muslims. But it would be better if they would convert to Atheism or Objectivism than to Christianity.

Being an atheist is a kind of denial.  It says what you don't believe  but not necessarily what you do believe.  Also atheism does not provide a satisfactory identification label.  It does not say who you are; rather it what you are not.   Religions have a social function.  They provide an identification,  they provide a social group label; they provide  a body of shared ritual and they provide a fellowship.  All of which is a social thing,  but not necessarily a good thing.

In my case, I identify  myself as Jewish.   Which in my case means I subscribe to the ethical system which evolved for Jews over the history of the religion.  I do not subscribe to the theology and only in part to the metaphysics of Judaism ( Pharisaic variety, which is the main surviving form of Judaism in the world). Part of the social package and benefits that come with it are is a fellowship with other people who have a similar outlook on the world, particularly in the ethical, social and political domain.  (Don't get excited,  I am not a New Deal Democrat, and I don't believe FDR was the Messaiah).  The benefits of so identifying  outweigh the liabilities (for me).   Yes, I do have a target painted on my back by the Jihadis and the the anti-Semites,  but the ethics I subscribe to give me the guidance and strength I need to  navigate  in a largely un-good world.  And I cannot completely deny the possibility of the Cosmos arising from an intelligent  act or principle.   I do not deny the logical possibility of Einstein's (and Aristotle's)  God.  But lacking sufficient empirical evidence I do not assert it either.  And I do not accept the Cartoon of God,  drawn in the Abrahamic religions.  That cartoon was drawn 3500 years ago by people who believed the Earth was flat, that the Sun went around the earth  and who did not know they every physical thing is made up of atoms and sub-atomic particles. Very pre-scientific. I am child of the age of science,  particularly as it was practiced in the 20 th century c.e.. 

Not at you Bob, but betwixt and between Jews who relinquished the dogma in favour of science and secularism, are often among my least favorite of people, ethically and politically. I know of several and read what many have to say on the Net. It is like hearing one voice, on every issue. They are those who think they have the moral duty to be the consciences of the world - always aligning with whom I call feel-good, look-good Leftists - hiding from the fact that Jews are, and (looks like) always will be at potential peril, in every part, from all types(hard Left, ultra-Right, Islamists). Nobody's going to make the distinction between 'good' Jew and a 'Zionist' if it comes to the crunch. Especially not fellow Leftists. A Jew is a Jew. They are the first to acquiescently support selling the Jewish homeland down the river, at a time, ironically, when it's being clearly shown most Jews now and in future will need it more than ever, these evasive dreamers. Progressivism has turned into a religion with the dogma and a more insidious faith. Self-sacrifice goes on, worse in 'secularists' than it did among the religious.