The foreign press isn't going along with the American Fake News Narrative™. Most of them are referring to Husseini as a protester or activist, and when they refer to him as a "reporter" or "journalist," they use scare quotes. Ha! It's cool to see that real journalism and professional integrity exist somewhere in the world.

J

Translations are rather tricky. Three-word English phrases are even trickier --  in this case because English grammar is loose. One can just add up the modifiers (albeit in particular order) and lard them about a noun:  gross green stinking sticky awful shit. In English word-pairs containing a noun can become adjectival nouns:  gross green false-news shit. 

In French, grammar is strict and some 'false friends' can fool you into assuming the same word means similar things. For example, to express 'fake news' you need to know of an alternate general term in broadcast French.  To translate Radio-Canada's flagship 24 hour French 'news' channel RDI to English is easy, but the English is clonky:  

Network of informations.  Reseau de l'information.  News of the day: actualités. Strictly speaking, you can translate Fausses Nouvelles straight up as False News, but just adding "shit" doesn't make sense in la belle langue.

This is a better indication of the various idioms that correspond in French:

faussesInfos.png

So, try " merde de fausses infos" and Frenchies will understand. The other way, they'll think you want help getting something off your shoe. 

I remember striding up Montreal's famous Rue Ste Catherine mid-summer, where most American tourists will end up at some point.  Ahead, paused, a family of black people wearing sort of giveaway tourist clothing.  They had apparently stalled in their traverse and needed directions.  A black Montrealer was heading the opposite way to me, and they seemed to breathe a sigh of relief, just as I neared the encounter. "Can you please tell us how to get to Place X?"

The black guy said in French, rather curtly I thought, "I don't speak English," not breaking stride. 

The point was they were taken aback by the non-English-speaking brother.  In that instant it probably struck them that almost everybody can do their business in French in Montreal (except for exceptions) and they should now be afraid to talk to black people on the street. I stopped to help.

We walked around the corner so I could point out the spire at Place X, and briefly explain that many black Montrealers were from la francophonie in Africa or France itself (overseas dependencies), and weren't always confident in their English, if they spoke or understood it at all -- but that inside commercial premises downtown there would always be a bilingual person in attendance.

Needless to say, I love Montreal. It's my favourite city on Earth. I hoped that family got the full value of a night like this. Less lay boh tah roo lay.

60p1.jpg

Edited by william.scherk
Grammaire

tRump facing backlash for no longer accusing Russia with tampering in the election, per Fox News. Damn, that Dana is nice looking, like a younger Heather Locklear, not that Heather is bad looking (when she isn't in a drunken mug shot.}   

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Is Montreal "A real Mountain" in Frenchy? 

Non. 

Le 'mont' au milieu de ville est associé à l'ancien royaume de France. Le ville de Hochelaga avait été renommé Mont Réal ... la langue du 17ieme siecle a changé ...

One quirk of most Quebec French 'accents' is that they retain archaic pronunciation. In France the language shifted over time (like the Great Vowel Shift in English), while in Quebec it remained "pure," fixed, closer to seventeenth century "seed."**  This is somewhat similar to the difference between Standard American Spanish and Castilian, and in a different dimension, the two standardized flavours of Portuguese.

When the mount was way back when claimed in the name of the French king, it became the Royal Mount, but in that era's French Royal was Réal. Real in English is Réel in French.

Today, in French, the city's name retains the archaic word for royal. Present-day French for Mount Royal is Mont Royal.

** -- eg, where in today's French standard spelling, ois, oi, oie and so on is pronounced Wah, in the old-style French it was  pronounced Weh.

So, your first time meeting with Montreal's popular, normal accent, you might be absolutely floored, realizing that what the people are saying is at times incomprehensible to you until they write it down.

I was. My first French in Montreal was the equivalent of May I Please Have A Quart Bottle Of Beer?  The barman responded with a "Wehmsyuhr," then asked, phonetically, "Tzeuveutzooeenvair?"

I had not a frigging clue what he had asked me, and in my stupefaction just stared at him as he gave me my change and looked slightly alarmed as I backed away.  I repaired to a seat where I would wait for my friend, and looked around. Every table with a quart of bottled beer had a glass or two. Mine didn't.  They understood my French. I did not understand theirs.

My first year in Montreal had many such moments, but none so embarrassing.

Edited by william.scherk
Didacticism

1 hour ago, william.scherk said:

Non. 

Le 'mont' au milieu de ville est associé à l'ancien royaume de France. Le ville de Hochelaga avait été renommé Mont Réal ... la langue du 17ieme siecle a changé ...

One quirk of most Quebec French 'accents' is that they retain archaic pronunciation. In France the language shifted over time (like the Great Vowel Shift in English), while in Quebec it remained "pure," fixed, closer to seventeenth century "seed."**  This is somewhat similar to the difference between Standard American Spanish and Castilian, and in a different dimension, the two standardized flavours of Portuguese.

When the mount was way back when claimed in the name of the French king, it became the Royal Mount, but in that era's French Royal was Réal. Real in English is Réel in French.

Today, in French, the city's name retains the archaic word for royal. Present-day French for Mount Royal is Mont Royal.

** -- eg, where in today's French standard spelling, ois, oi, oie and so on is pronounced Wah, in the old-style French it was  pronounced Weh.

So, your first time meeting with Montreal's popular, normal accent, you might be absolutely floored, realizing that what the people are saying is at times incomprehensible to you until they write it down.

I was. My first French in Montreal was the equivalent of May I Please Have A Quart Bottle Of Beer?  The barman responded with a "Wehmsyuhr," then asked, phonetically, "Tzeuveutzooeenvair?"

I had not a frigging clue what he had asked me, and in my stupefaction just stared at him as he gave me my change and looked slightly alarmed as I backed away.  I repaired to a seat where I would wait for my friend, and looked around. Every table with a quart of bottled beer had a glass or two. Mine didn't.  They understood my French. I did not understand theirs.

My first year in Montreal had many such moments, but none so embarrassing.

took les mots right out of my bouche!

BTW Bill were you ever in MTL on St Jean le Baptiste Day, with the torches? I came down from Ottawa to my friend, who lived there --it was magique'gens du Pays..." yeah, racist.  When I saw Cabaret around the same time, "Tomorrow Belong to Me" sounded familiar. But that is art, life lags so sadly behind.

35 minutes ago, caroljane said:

Bill were you ever in MTL on St Jean le Baptiste Day, with the torches?

I avoided it the two chances I had to attend.  There was a certain ethnic pure-lainery abroad at that particular time (after the 1995 referendum). Le peuple Quebecois and a sea of blue. While, up the river ...

The 'tape' that Rudy Giuliani told us was 'exculpatory' ... between Candidate One and Personal Lawyer.  What's on it, spin aside?

I guess we have to talk about this tape because the anti-Trumpers in the media are in chatter overdrive hoping this time they've got him.

But there's no there there.

President Trump said the word "cash" to his lawyer when talking about hush-money to a Playboy model.

And people are going apeshit splitting hairs on what this means.

yawn...

Hell, President Trump released attorney-client privilege on all 12 tapes, so the only reason CNN got the scoop is because they were given formal permission to attack from the person they are attacking. :) 

I swear, this could not have been better engineered by Trump and Giuliani themselves to make the chattering class look ridiculous to most of the country.

Now if we were talking about pallets of cash, billions and billions of dollars in cash, by secret airplane delivery at night, that might be different.

Cash me outside... howbow dah?

:) 

Cohen is a disappointment, though. A lawyer who secretly tapes private conversations with his client and gives the recording to third parties to denigrate his former client is not much of a lawyer.

Cohen's a big boy, though, and President Trump has a history of eating lawyers for breakfast. After all, he's been in constant litigation for decades and beaten lawyers far more cunning than Cohen. So Cohen won't be able to complain later he didn't know what hit him.

And, once the kerfuffle is over, Americans in general don't like the archetype of Benedict Arnold. So I don't see a bright future for Cohen, at least for a long time.

Michael

14 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I guess we have to talk about this tape because the anti-Trumpers in the media are in chatter overdrive hoping this time they've got him.

But there's no there there.

President Trump said the word "cash" to his lawyer when talking about hush-money to a Playboy model.

And people are going apeshit splitting hairs on what this means.

yawn...

I swear, this could not have been better engineered by Trump and Giuliani themselves to make the chattering class look ridiculous to most of the country.

Now if we were talking about pallets of cash, billions and billions of dollars in cash, by secret airplane delivery at night, that might be different....

Somehow I fear that if such billions of pallets of cash were paid on Trump's behalf, for anything,it might not be any  different for you.

Sadly tired  but not yawning,

Carol

13 minutes ago, caroljane said:

Somehow I fear that if such billions of pallets of cash were paid on Trump's behalf, for anything,it might not be any  different for you.

Sadly tired  but not yawning,

Carol,

I was referring to Obama's billions of dollars on pallets to Iran.

We're just talking chump change and hookers about President Trump.

Obama actually did it with bazillions. (What does he care, anyway? It wasn't his money...)

Back to President Trump. Are you tired because you realize that this Cohen thing, despite tickling long-suffering dreams in the anti-Trump soul, is just too lame to be the coup de grâce that takes him down?

I know when I see everyone going apeshit about something I care deeply about and know it's much ado about nothing, I get tired...

Michael

41 minutes ago, Not the Special Master said:

Yeah, but no. He supposedly said "No cash," according to leading Trump-whisperers.  Meaning Trump 'insisted' on a cheque, since that would be cough above-board and beyond reproach.  Cohen and his lawyer (a Democrat with his own baggage) dispute that interpretation.

Background:  the White House has denied that there was any sexual relationship between the model and the candidate.  The White House denied there was any 'pay-off' reimbursement to the National Inquirer publisher, who apparently bought the model's tale and quashed it (including promises of future benefits) ...

The White House denied that the now-President knew any details about any 'pay-off.'  The White House denied that Trump knew anything about the mechanics of this subsequent Cohen "reimbursement" pay-off to the magazine via a cut-out corporation.

Cohen, at one point, claimed he raised some money for a different 'pay-off' (to Stormy Daniels) by a home-equity loan.

This sounds like, on the surface, that Trump has cut Cohen free. Since Cohen is judged here as a very very good lawyer ... 

What other kinds of points of view are there?  Well ...

Nobody would have cared that Trump cheated on Melania ... I just don't understand the big deal.  Would knowing the candidate was a sleazy adulterer who has to pay for sex or silence have changed a single vote?

Insert Tu Quoque here.

Edited by william.scherk
Spellink errors

2 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Back to President Trump. Are you tired because you realize that this Cohen thing, despite tickling long-suffering dreams in the anti-Trump soul, is just too lame to be the coup de grâce that takes him down?

It's an interesting peek behind the scenes. And it's a scene that is probably very common in the political world. The interesting thing to me here is the language used, and the room for plausible deniability, and space for interpretation. Also the issue of attorney-client privilege.

8 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Carol,

I was referring to Obama's billions of dollars on pallets to Iran.

We're just talking chump change and hookers about President Trump.

Obama actually did it with bazillions. (What does he care, anyway? It wasn't his money...)

I know when I see everyone going apeshit about something I care deeply about and know it's much ado about nothing, I get tired...

Michael

"Chump change."  

Irresistibly brings to mind the old joke, of which the punchline is, "We already know what you are.Now we're just negotiating about the price."

I am sadly  tired because I went to the ophalmologist this morning, and the office is at 245 Danforth Avenue, and this is not spin or whining or trying to garner any kind of empathy which  it is impossible to feel for scumbag leftists. Just the truth which I must still hope is of interest to OL readers.

7 minutes ago, william.scherk said:

Nobody would have cared that Trump cheated on Melania ... I just don't understand the big deal.  Would knowing the candidate was a sleazy adulterer who has to pay for sex or silence have changed a single vote?

Nobody did care. Voters knew all about Trump. His behavior didn't matter. Voters have been trained by the Democratic party to believe that it doesn't matter. It's his private business. That's what everyone was told when Bill Clinton was a sleazy adulterer. Not just told, but scolded. The culture then adopted the standards that the left preached and nagged. Now they suddenly don't want those standards anymore, except maybe they still want to sort of hang on to them when it comes to judging Bill Clinton, or maybe kind of grudgingly admit that Clinton should get a light wrist-slapping while Trump is removed from office for his offense.

2 minutes ago, caroljane said:

"Chump change."  

Irresistibly brings to mind the old joke, of which the punchline is, "We already know what you are.Now we're just negotiating about the price."

Carol,

Compared to Obama's billions in cash, which he sold as hope and chump change, who's actually the whore?

:evil:  :) 

(Sadly, we are... )

Michael

1 minute ago, caroljane said:

I am sadly  tired because I went to the ophalmologist this morning, and the office is at 245 Danforth Avenue, and this is not spin or whining or trying to garner any kind of empathy which  it is impossible to feel for scumbag leftists. Just the truth which I must still hope is of interest to OL readers.

Dr. John Christakis, for verification purposes.

Carol wrote: "Chump change."   Irresistibly brings to mind the old joke, of which the punchline is, "We already know what you are. Now we're just negotiating about the price." end quote

Fox is replaying the Cohen-Trump tapes, over and over again. Some are saying Trump said, ‘DO NOT PAY CASH. Check.”

The problems? You can only “gift” someone $15,000 per year and you need to fill out forms. If you are paid, a huge sum for “work” of whatever sort, again there are accounting issues and income tax issues.

The Judge on Fox is saying, there is possibly fraud if the testimony/interview from a Trump lady friend was supposed to be published in the National Enquirer, but then they did not, then the written or verbal agreement is fraud, but not big F fraud. Peter  

TDS is an eye problem, and not the web abbreviation for  "Trump Derangement Syndrome." I wish you well Carol. I think I chronicled my experiences with an eye doctor named Meeks who did my eye surgery. (I am 20/15 in one eye now, but my other eye is 20/200 and I can't read out of that eye and I can barely watch TV with just that eye. Ugh. Tripping over your own feet going down stairs is no fun.