When the fake news media loses the fake news comedians for being too fake as fake news, you know it's fake.

I don't care for the humor of Trevor Noah because I don't think he's all that funny as a comedian. But he and his peeps did a rather good skit this time. Stilted, but it works.

It helps he is bashing something I bash (CNN--and this skit applies to all guest panels on all stations), but I'm talking in purely comedic terms. It's funny.

:) 

Michael

This guy just exposed the entirety of the subtext of the fake news media within the context of reality.

Nothing like looking at reality to realign one's spirit and feel metaphysically correct.

Michael

Here's a 2008 article exploring the field of news, Competition and Truth in the Market for News
by Matthew Gentzkow and Jesse M. Shapiro

“[T]he best test of truth is the power of the thought to get itself accepted in the competition
of the market ... That at least is the theory of our Constitution.
— Oliver Wendell Holmes, Abrams v. United States (250 U.S. 616 [1919])

[...] Moreover, as Mullainathan and Shleifer (2005) demonstrate, adding competitors in this kind of world can sometimes exacerbate bias because it allows consumers to self-segregate more effectively and to avoid hearing information that might contradict their priors. The case for advocacy in a courtroom would break down completely if half the jury was only allowed to hear from the defense and half the jury could only hear from the prosecution. Sunstein (2006) argues that these problems have become especially important in the advent of the Internet. The availability of customized news can in principle create an “echo chamber” phenomenon where each consumer hears only the precise set of news reports that will confirm that consumer’s prior beliefs, and learning ceases entirely. At the other extreme, suppose that consumers choose like-minded sources because they sincerely believe that they are more accurate. A large body of evidence in psychology shows that subjects tend to remember evidence better, and rate its quality more highly, when it supports their prior beliefs. With respect to direct ratings of news sources, both U.S. consumers (Gentzkow and Shapiro, 2006a) and consumers in Islamic countries (Gentzkow and Shapiro, 2007) rate the quality of news outlets whose slant matches their own views to be higher on a number of dimensions. This outcome could occur because of information-processing heuristics, coarse thinking, or a subconscious process of justification.

[...]

I think there is lots to chew on in the article.

1 hour ago, william.scherk said:

Here's a 2008 article exploring the field of news, Competition and Truth in the Market for News
by Matthew Gentzkow and Jesse M. Shapiro

“[T]he best test of truth is the power of the thought to get itself accepted in the competition
of the market ... That at least is the theory of our Constitution.
— Oliver Wendell Holmes, Abrams v. United States (250 U.S. 616 [1919])

Would the authors have the same suspicions and come to the same conclusions if the established mainstream media had been overwhelmingly right-wing for decades, and the new media voices were lefties?

J

4 hours ago, william.scherk said:

William,

With all due respect and based on the excerpt you posted, this one sounds like government-funded toady-for-hire bullshit.

Here's a far better, more exact, bias-exacerbating heuristic for coarse-thinking and the echo-chamber-effect: When media outlets constantly lie and keep getting caught, their consumers stop trusting them and they lose influence.

And to add some literary charm (Hemingway), the trust stops "gradually, then suddenly."

Full disclosure. I didn't receive a penny in government funding to impart that wisdom.

Michael

10 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

This guy just exposed the entirety of the subtext of the fake news media within the context of reality.

Nothing like looking at reality to realign one's spirit and feel metaphysically correct.

Michael

He's got it exactly, a universal truth that would have been as true five years ago, or fifteen, with adjustments about who was angry.

We live in good times compared with nearly all of our ancestors, but like them tell terrifying stories in the dark, to frighten ourselves and stir the blood.

Meanwhile, check for explosions, snipers, blood bank appeals, and the sound of choppers and drones. Yup, it's time.

America Is Now In A Civil War

I wish Maxine Waters was fake news. Chuck Schumer (!) called her rhetoric/incitement, “not American.”

The violent left will act out again as it always does, it’s just Chuck is a better tactician. He doesn’t want future acts connected to them. Midterms in four months. Chuck and Maxine are criminals. They know when their party loses all power, they will not be shielded anymore. Thus the desperation and bizarre acting-out. It’s a dangerous time, because it isn’t just Chuck and Maxine.

Here's Kyle Kulinski, of the Blob sprawling out of the Young Turks.  He mocks the Fake News, Good Polls riff from Trump's recent rally. Trump Cites Poll Numbers Then Calls Polls Fake News In Hilarious Incoherent Rant.  Apparently Kulinski's Youtube channel "Secular Talk" has 420 million views and half a million subscribers.

• 2 weeks later...

Faye Knuze and the Qabal are having a chuckle today!

Edited by william.scherk

On 6/30/2018 at 2:23 PM, william.scherk said:

Here's Kyle Kulinski, of the Blob sprawling out of the Young Turks.  He mocks the Fake News, Good Polls riff from Trump's recent rally. Trump Cites Poll Numbers Then Calls Polls Fake News In Hilarious Incoherent Rant.  Apparently Kulinski's Youtube channel "Secular Talk" has 420 million views and half a million subscribers.

Hmmm. So, this Kyle Kulinski kid apparently couldn't work our the logic of Trump's position.

Billy, perhaps you can? Try thinking about it this way: Imagine that it's not Trump who is criticizing the polls as being slanted while also preening about how well he is doing in the polls. Is there potentially a logical explanation that comes to mind which would make this non-Trump person's position legitimate, reasonable, and not tee hee hee snicker snicker?

Polling companies can be biased, and the sometimes use polls to try to influence people. They use push polls, and they often carefully craft their language in order to get closer to the result that they want to show, and encourage their friendly press to spin further. They play games. This isn't something new or secret, so don't act naive. You know better.

But, anyway, polling companies also have reputations, so they generally have to stay within certain parameters with their activism. They can only lie so much, and lower their enemies' numbers only to a limited extent. With all of this in mind, can you imagine a scenario in which a person is critical of polls, but also accepts them as presenting some of the truth? In other words, if you were to force yourself to give a friendly interpretation, instead of the most hostile misinterpretation possible, do you think that it would be buffoonish and eminently embarrassing for someone to believe that polling companies are working their hardest to underreport his successes, but even with their biases and little games, they still have to stay within reality enough to give him the ratings that they have, and that those ratings are good, and when correcting for the posters' biases and little games are probably much higher?

No? Guffaw snort tee hee hee?

J

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Jon Letendre said:

It’s so beautiful seeing the left’s tactics reduced to meaningless gestures. Thanks.

I don't know. Their tactics are starting to convince me that they should be in power and should have more control over my life. Nothing matters more to me that the opinion of high school dropout Billie Joe Armstrong and his fans. They'll lead us in the right direction!

J

43 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Hmmm. So, this Kyle Kulinski kid apparently couldn't work our the logic of Trump's position.

Billy, perhaps you can? Try thinking about it this way: Imagine that it's not Trump who is criticizing the polls as being slanted while also preening about how well he is doing in the polls. Is there potentially a logical explanation that comes to mind which would make this non-Trump person's position legitimate, reasonable, and not tee hee hee snicker snicker?

Polling companies can be biased, and the sometimes use polls to try to influence people. They use push polls, and they often carefully craft their language in order to get closer to the result that they want to show, and encourage their friendly press to spin further. They play games. This isn't something new or secret, so don't act naive. You know better.

But, anyway, polling companies also have reputations, so they generally have to stay within certain parameters with their activism. They can only lie so much, and lower their enemies' numbers only to a limited extent. With all of this in mind, can you imagine a scenario in which a person is critical of polls, but also accepts them as presenting some of the truth? In other words, if you were to force yourself to give a friendly interpretation, instead of the most hostile misinterpretation possible, do you think that it would be buffoonish and eminently embarrassing for someone to believe that polling companies are working their hardest to underreport his successes, but even with their biases and little games, they still have to stay within reality enough to give him the ratings that they have, and that those ratings are good, and when correcting for the posters' biases and little games are probably much higher?

No? Guffaw snort tee hee hee?

J

It’s all he does now, tee hee, snicker snicker. Then he claims to be interested in genuine discussion. He’s not. He’s only here to try to make his ideological enemies look stupid. He’s perfectly disingenuous, it’s getting old.

2 hours ago, Jonathan said:

I don't know. Their tactics are starting to convince me that they should be in power and should have more control over my life. Nothing matters more to me that the opinion of high school dropout Billie Joe Armstrong and his fans. They'll lead us in the right direction!

J

Tsk tsk J, how dare you so slyly disrespect your political ancestors of the Know-Nothing movement?

6 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Somebody knows some history.

Let's start a Millard Fillmore renaissance.

Here. Let me get the ball rolling.

Millard Fillmore's last words: "The nourishment is palatable."

Michael

Totally on board! I am kind of a Zachary Taylor fan, no idea why, but am am also interested in the early FLOTUSes influence on policy, but I will not mention that it was Dolley who mainly saved the national treasures because some readers might be sensitive about losing the war of 1812, naming no Arizonan veterans' names, yoo-hoo Brant!

Oops.

Here's some real humor about fake news:

Fact-checking whether Bernie Sanders knows how to do math...

LOL...

Michael

14 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Here's some real humor about fake news:

Fact-checking whether Bernie Sanders knows how to do math...

LOL...

Michael

I'm just going to write "Faye" right here, and that cancels out the above. Magical, isn't it? It's erased from existence. It never happened because I wrote "Faye."

J

Ni! The Knights Who Say "Ni!", also called the Knights of Ni, are a band of knights encountered by King Arthur and his followers in the film Monty Python and the Holy Grail. They demonstrate their power by shouting "Ni!" (pronounced "nee"), terrifying the party, whom they refuse to allow passage through their forest unless appeased through the gift of a shrubbery.

Here's an example of fakes news blindness answered perfectly by Donald Trump Jr..

It won't get Cillizza to see, but he does see others say they see the same thing as Donald Trump Jr.

If Cillizza is a toady and political hack, there is no help for him and the answer is a perfect brush-off. His issue is power and doesn't deserve respect.

But if he is sincere, if he truly thinks he is virtuous, the response to the answer from people he respects will cause cognitive dissonance in his head.

That cognitive dissonance is the crack through which one day he might see.

(I think Cillizza's a toady, though. :) )

Michael

The Fake News media are very upset that Sam Husseini, while behaving as an activist instead of a reporter, was thrown out of the Helsinki Palace right before the Trump Putin joint press conference.

https://www.axios.com/journalist-kicked-out-trump-putin-summit-press-conference-cba6ebd1-0ecf-4f39-8b95-60b05851643e.html

The lefty activist Fake News Narrative™ is that they are very disturbed in this era, where Trump constantly denigrates journalism and hates freedom, especially of the press, and wants to kill all reporters, that a heroic reporter just sweetly and innocently doing his job would be removed from the room.

Yup. The douchebag got his hands on a press pass, but then decided to use the opportunity to not be a reporter, but an advocate/activist holding up a sign promoting his position. And lefties are going apeshit reporting the lie that this is about attacking journalists, and not at all about removing an activist posing as a journalist.

Fake News pieces of shit.

J