Cordair Art

Brant Gaede

I went to Cordair Art and found myself confronted with "romantic realism." I did not like what I think is high quality kitsch. Pardon the oxymoron.

Human reality as painted on silliness for the adults depicted--well, none reflected any real inner life. They strike me as ginned up Eloi overall. I did like some of the work showing children except for one reason common to all the there art I've looked at so far: titles. Everything is labeled. Labeling can work (The Mona Lisa, Nike of Samothrace), but not with this material. Horses are "Freedom Horses" and obvious tenderness is labeled "Tenderness." Nothing like continuous short-circuiting the viewer's response which is the effective, practical result.

Dear Cordair Art: take off the titles and sell more art.

--Brant

The gallery has a feature for shut-ins: an interior Google Streetview virtual reality:

Edited by william.scherk
Resized Google iframe

19 hours ago, Brant Gaede said:

I went to Cordair Art and found myself confronted with "romantic realism." I did not like what I think is high quality kitsch. Pardon the oxymoron.

Human reality as painted on silliness for the adults depicted--well, none reflected any real inner life. They strike me as ginned up Eloi overall. I did like some of the work showing children except for one reason common to all the there art I've looked at so far: titles. Everything is labeled. Labeling can work (The Mona Lisa, Nike of Samothrace), but not with this material. Horses are "Freedom Horses" and obvious tenderness is labeled "Tenderness." Nothing like continuous short-circuiting the viewer's response which is the effective, practical result.

Dear Cordair Art: take off the titles and sell more art.

--Brant

Are you saying the shop owner put titles next to the artwork? Anything that detracts from a painting or sculpture, as a viewer, I prefer to be out of the picture. )

That puts me at odds with artists. Some will sign canvas backs rather than boldly sign their names to the fronts. Sculptures will have the foundry mold their names in inconspicuous places. Investors like kitsch and for investment sake and will ask the artist to personally inscribe pieces. I wouldnt.

Hes my brothers agent. There is a sameness to many figurines. I was in the Bellagios' Macdonald atlier recently. A piece referred to as Female Allonge, simply means what it says, nothing inferred. It looked remarkably similar to a piece my brother had done. Sure enough it seems to me artists like to recreate some positions more than others. The differences are seen in the details.

I had my eye on a piece whose title was unknown. I knew it the instant I saw what it was. Its called The Flair, a 26' heroic monument in Atlanta Ga. Its funny but in the 40 yrs since Kurt Thomas performed it, street performers now make it look as easy as taking a Sunday stroll. It will be much more than that to me.

Flair_monument.jpg

I have not given my drawings names. I dont sell. Priceless. )

2 hours ago, turkeyfoot said:
22 hours ago, Brant Gaede said:

I went to Cordair  [...] common to all the there art I've looked at so far: titles. Everything is labeled.

Are you saying the shop owner put titles next to the artwork?

That is what I thought Brant meant, but it isn't the case if you visit the Google Streetview interior of the gallery.  I now understand that Brant went to the Cordair website, not the actual gallery.  Giving things a name is just business.   It doesn't matter what it is called, just that it have a 'tag' that can be referred to.   And it is the level of curatorship and tradition that 'adds information in the puny and  great galleries and museums of the world.  

I mean, if you go to the gallery website to perhaps purchase an item that strikes your fancy, and the website gives no titles/names/tags to any of the for-sale items, how do you refer to it if you want to purchase:  "The one of the little girl in the blue blouse with a Randian expression on her face, and ponies"?   Probably not.  You might click on a 'buy me' image but somewhere on your receipt will be a denotation of the thing you have bought, a short-hand designator.  Screaming Yellow Contortionette No 3, nine thousand and fifty bucks.

Anyway, the virtual gallery store visit experience is indeed immersive, and the immersion is in High Objectivish/Romanticky Kitsch.   No titles that I can see, which neither adds to nor takes away from the visual experience (which may induce nausea, swooning, throes of passion, depending on your tastes and attachment to Romanticky-ish things).

This is among my favourite awful things in the store. I call it Contortionette Ribbon-Ball Stumble, with Feathered Goo-hands. Its real given name is probably The Feast of OPAR.

myHair.png