Can Alzheimer's disease be prevented?

9 hours ago, Backlighting said:

??

It is a Hebrew word  for a soulless  mindless man made servant.  servant  created (with magic and kabalistic means).   In the legend,  Golem was made of mud. 

From the wiki article:

The most famous golem narrative involves Y'huda Levy ben B'tzalel , the late-16th-century rabbi of Prague. There are many tales differing on how the golem was brought to life and afterwards controlled.

The Golem was a legend well know to Jews and Gentiles.  It was almost certainly known by Mary Shelly  who wrote the famous novel of a human created man like being  made of body parts by Viktor Frankenstrein.  

13 hours ago, Backlighting said:

That claim needs to be backed up by a longitudinal study.   Has such a study been made?   Can  you provide a reference to such a study from a refereed  medical or scientific journal. 

The article proposed very reasonable  dietary advice,  but it made claims that would need extensive clinical testing  (particularly decades long  longitudinal studies).  Such studies are not  inexpensive.

5 hours ago, BaalChatzaf said:

That claim needs to be backed up by a longitudinal study.   Has such a study been made?   Can  you provide a reference to such a study from a refereed  medical or scientific journal. 

The article proposed very reasonable  dietary advice,  but it made claims that would need extensive clinical testing  (particularly decades long  longitudinal studies).  Such studies are not  inexpensive.

Decades long testing require decades. The question being posed is, is it reasonable to make adjustments to a diet based on what is known to improve health and possibly avoid losing your brain.

My own research shows that limiting sugars, red meat, breads and combining exercise not only keep me slim but contribute to my overall physical well being.

Having said that. I recently used the RICE prescription for a grade 2 sprain (ran over a hose on a motorcycle). Dr Gabe Merkin, who coined the term, updated the modality to include new observations of rest and ice.

He says of Alzheimers, " Furthermore, lack of insulin lowers brain levels of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, which is seen regularly in Alzheimer's disease. This would explain why every factor known to increase risk for heart attacks also increases risk for Alzheimer’s disease. Even though these studies are preliminary, it is a good idea to reduce susceptibility to developing diabetes by markedly reducing your intake of sugar and flour; increasing your intake of fruits, vegetable, whole grains, beans, and nuts; avoiding weight gain and exercising regularly. "

And also provides this.  A study from Brown University Medical School showed that Alzheimer’s disease may be another form of diabetes, and all the recommendations for avoiding diabetes may also protect your memory (Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, November 2005).  

Is the science proven? I dont know, I dont necessarily care so much. But I will utilize the latest and greatest findings to help set a course for recovery in lieu of my own limited knowledge and experience.

Seems to me everybody is making the subject of preventing this or that or the other disease way more complexicated than it needs to be. Do you seriously intend to study each of 10 thousand or a hundred thousand diseases individually to figure out how to prevent it? And do you think the method of preventing a disease is different for each disease? It is much simpler to start with health and to learn the physiological requirements of health. Then with the exception of bad genes, all diseases, known and unknown, are prevented.

Even bad genes are not necessarily decisive because there is such a thing as meta-genetics, how genes express themselves. And genes usually don't cause diseases but strengths and weaknesses. So some people can get away with taking liberties with their health and some people can't.

For anyone who is really concerned about brain diseases, Dr. Russell Blaylock MD, former neurosurgeon, reveals so much information about brain diseases in his books and his lectures that there seems to be little room for mystery about brain diseases. For those who want peer reviewed scientific evidence, Dr. Blaylock is always up to his ears in peer reviewed studies in support of everything he says.

turkeyfoot said "My own research shows that limiting sugars, red meat, breads and combining exercise not only keep me slim but contribute to my overall physical well being"  Same for me & I would add that the addition of certain spices and herbs contribute to one's overall well being.

jts said: "Do you seriously intend to study each of 10 thousand or a hundred thousand diseases individually to figure out how to prevent it?" Of course that can't be done. I'm interested in Alzheimer's, having seen the effects on my mother.  It's not pretty. I can think of many other ways I'd rather go.

I'll look in to Dr. Blaylocks work...thanks for mentioning that. ---J

19 hours ago, Backlighting said:

10 minutes ago, Backlighting said:

turkeyfoot said "My own research shows that limiting sugars, red meat, breads and combining exercise not only keep me slim but contribute to my overall physical well being"  Same for me & I would add that the addition of certain spices and herbs contribute to one's overall well being.

jts said: "Do you seriously intend to study each of 10 thousand or a hundred thousand diseases individually to figure out how to prevent it?" Of course that can't be done. I'm interested in Alzheimer's, having seen the effects on my mother.  It's not pretty. I can think of many other ways I'd rather go.

I'll look in to Dr. Blaylocks work...thanks for mentioning that. ---J

Exercise almost never hurts.  People in the United States do not exercise enough. 

exercise, fresh air and eating enough veggies  is a long step toward good health...

Since this is the beginning of the flu season here's Dr. Blaylock's take on it:

https://healthimpactnews.com/2011/dr-russell-blaylock-warns-dont-get-the-flu-shot-it-promotes-alzheimers/

5 minutes ago, BaalChatzaf said:

Exercise almost never hurts.  People in the United States do not exercise enough. 

exercise, fresh air and eating enough veggies  is a long step toward good health...

That sounds similar to the advice received as a child.

Exercise hurts more if youre partly diabetic and/or while attempting to take on exercise regularly.

If one were to simply tap into how what they eat makes them feel and avoided those food groups it would be a shorter route to better health. I wouldnt begin to describe better heatlh as in seeing a Dr. where he/she will talk about statins or Assisted Living. My wife reported having less digestive distress cutting back on refined carbs. I finally tried and found it to be true. It took longer because of an iron cast stomach.

The above doesnt pertain to eating lima beans, squash/zucchini, and peas. I get nauseous when in the same room. ;)

2 hours ago, turkeyfoot said:

The above doesnt pertain to eating lima beans, squash/zucchini, and peas. I get nauseous when in the same room. ;)

That adds NH4 to the atmosphere

I can eat all of the above happily although lima beans make be fart a bit.