iPhone thread accidental deletion

I screwed up.

I accidentally deleted a thread on the iPhone and Steve Jobs. The reason I did was that the original poster had made two threads of identical content, one in the Ethics section and one in the Objectivist Living Room section. I didn't notice it until he made an identical post to both threads (in addition to the identical opening posts).

So I merged the threads, then went to delete the redundant posts. Unfortunately, it's late, I'm tired and I ended up deleting the thread.

This means the thread in the Ethics section no longer exists because it was merged with the one in the Objectivist Living Room section, and that no longer exists because I accidentally deleted it instead of the redundant posts.

I can't recover it and I apologize. 

As the original poster only made two posts (four if you count the two threads, but two of the posts were redundant) and I have the feeling they might be posted elsewhere on the Internet since it was about a study group, the original poster should feel free to start a new thread and repost them if not too inconvenient.

Fortunately, there were few posts by other posters (if I remember correctly, there was one by me, one my Jules Troy and one by RobinReborn). They were short and not very substantive.

Once again, sorry about that.

Michael

5 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I screwed up.

I accidentally deleted a thread on the iPhone and Steve Jobs. The reason I did was that the original poster had made two threads of identical content, one in the Ethics section and one in the Objectivist Living Room section. I didn't notice it until he made an identical post to both threads (in addition to the identical opening posts).

So I merged the threads, then went to delete the redundant posts. Unfortunately, it's late, I'm tired and I ended up deleting the thread.

This means the thread in the Ethics section no longer exists because it was merged with the one in the Objectivist Living Room section, and that no longer exists because I accidentally deleted it instead of the redundant posts.

As the original poster only made two posts (four if you count the two threads, but two of the posts were redundant) and I have the feeling they might be posted elsewhere on the Internet since it was about a study group, the original poster should feel free to start a new thread and repost them if not too inconvenient.

Fortunately, there were few posts by other posters (if I remember correctly, there was one by me, one my Jules Troy and one by RobinReborn). They were short and not very substantive.

Michael

Well, well, well. How far the mighty have fallen!

--Anon.

heh! snear! (have a beer!)

(does OL need a mirror site?)

On 7/14/2016 at 0:22 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I screwed up.

Michael

Thanks for notifying. Interested people can follow here - http://forum.objectivismonline.com/index.php?/topic/29185-becoming-steve-jobs-how-a-reckless-upstart-became-a-visionary-leader/

Latest update is as follows

Posted most important portion in iPhone study-group from Steve Jobs Book

Part is as follows
--------------------------------
Thought process of Steve regarding Apple’s next step after iPod: Steve too, like Jonathan, thought that Apple’s next step would be some fundamental reconfiguration of traditional personal computer. That was the reason for giving green signal to project purple in first place. But after returning from surgery Steve told Jonathan that he wanted to shelve the project. This surprised Jonathan because he was very excited about the project. Reason Steve gave for shelving was market driven. That is, he would not be able to convince people to buy a tablet. But he would be able to convince people to buy a phone. He considered latter to be a better product category.
Steve was perfectly aware that engineering challenges in building a new phone will be harder compared to new tablet. Phone had to be small, it had to be a good phone, a good computer, and a good music player. Selling this new category of devices was worth the risk for Steve Jobs.
--------------------------------
Details here - http://forum.objectivismonline.com/index.php?/topic/29185-becoming-steve-jobs-how-a-reckless-upstart-became-a-visionary-leader/&do=findComment&comment=343966

Update from this week

Sample:
"
6. Further details of iPhone related discussions with AT&T: Steve showed AT&T folks that iPhone would increase the consumption of wireless data bandwidth. Reason for spike was given as very good browsing interface being planned for iPhone. It would have made mobile do almost anything that could be done with Desktop browser. Touch screen making unmodified, full featured Internet websites usable anywhere.
Other possibilities included download and sharing of photos, email, editing and managing of documents like sales contacts, etc. Of course, they could purchase and download music from iTunes stores, send or receive text messages, make video calls, see videos and movies online etc. For last, reference of YouTube was used.
Plus, according to experience of Steve with technology, there can be possibilities that were not even being imagined right now [in retrospect Uber]. The possibility of huge spike in data led Steve to ask for cut from AT&T’s data revenue of iPhone. He wanted to be compensated for bringing extra business. Giving example of 30% being taken from music sales, this compensation plan was proposed."

Complete coverrage - 

http://forum.objectivismonline.com/index.php?/topic/29185-becoming-steve-jobs-how-a-reckless-upstart-became-a-visionary-leader/&do=findComment&comment=344079

Update from 4th and last study week of iPhone study group.
We conclude next week.

Samples

iPHONE IN RETROSPECT

41. Impact of iPhone on computing power: Mac, iPhone, and iPad today have computing power that Cray XMP supercomputer had 20 years ago. But it costs just 600 dollars and can fit into your pocket.

[This analysis is attributed to Marc Andreesen, co-founder of Netscape and highly successful venture capitalist.]

33. Reasoning behind Apple not opening up third party integration right away: The author went with Fortune magazine’s Peter Lewis for the interview that was scheduled just after the demo. Steve was relieved that demo went well. However, he got a bit angry when Peter and author kept asking him about opening up iPhone software. Their reasoning was that YouTube and google maps, the non-Apple applications were working really well on iPhone. The look and feel of these being testimony to the fact that iPhone can be “opened up” to third party developers.

Steve’s response was that Apple collaborates with those companies to help them build on iPhone. So Apple had control on what went into those applications. For third party apps however, he was not sure how to vet them or police them. Viruses had to be prevented, their impact on network had to be checked etc. In short, he did not want a monster in iPhone. Plus he thought developers can build specialized websites for iPhone if they were interested in development. iPhone being like a terminal in this case.

Details here - 

http://forum.objectivismonline.com/index.php?/topic/29185-becoming-steve-jobs-how-a-reckless-upstart-became-a-visionary-leader/&do=findComment&comment=344199

Today I completed the study-group by giving concluding remarks.

Here it is -

So to conclude, I am looking forward to further understand 3 things from the learnings of this study-group

1. Idea to product (I2P) principles.
2. Product to Market (P2M) principles.
3. Principles for facilitating useful innovation within organization.

Details here - http://forum.objectivismonline.com/index.php?/topic/29185-becoming-steve-jobs-how-a-reckless-upstart-became-a-visionary-leader/&do=findComment&comment=344311

• 4 weeks later...