I Wrote Some Books, They're for Sale on Amazon, Hope they Sell

The thread title was suggested (sort of) by Michael.  I emailed him and asked about promoting my books on OL.  He chided me for being shy about it.  Thank you, Michael.

Here's the story:

I've wanted, especially as I get older, to make some kind of effort towards changing our country's political trajectory.  Each time someone came up with an idea, like Mark Levin's Liberty Amendments (for the constitution), or Charles Murray's civil disobedience schemes, or Thomas Wood's ideas on State Nullification, I'd get excited... for a short time.  I'd think, "Yes!  Finally, a way to turn things around for a while and give rationality time to catch up."  But, in each case, and in every other direction I've looked with fond, but unrealistic hopes, reality would return. 

For a while I was ready to devote my remaining years to creating a professional, multi-year campaign to put through a series of constitutional amendments.  That was my last this-will-get-us-right scheme, but after a fair amount of planning, I got to where I looked at the constitutions of some of the individual states, to see what they required to be able to pass an amendment to the US constitution (one that hadn't originated with the US Congress), and decided that was a non-starter.  I gave it up and decided there are no quick fixes.  The only path to the kind of change we want is education.

A people get the government they deserve and by "deserve" I refer to their level of understanding of political principles.

So, I decided to write a series of books intended to present the basic principles that should be understood by a free people.  I'm calling them "Wolfer's Primer on..." and the first one takes apart progressivism: Wolfer's Primer on Progressivism.  When I started a serious study of progressivism I was stunned at how much I didn't know.  Anyway, that book has been written.  It is short and to the point (about 80 pages) and available on Amazon.com as either a Kindle eBook, or a paperback.  I kept the prices very, very low.

Last week I finished all of the little details involved in putting my second book up on Amazon.com.  It is "Wolfer's Primer on The Nature of Government".  You and I both know about how drastically different the average person's understanding of what government should be and should do is from the Objectivist position.  This book is even shorter - about 50 pages (and equally inexpensive).

I'll be writing a couple more.  My next one will be a little more involved.  It will be on Human Nature.  After that, my plan is for a book on Liberty - the idea being to paint an attractive word picture of how exciting and benevolent life would be like when living in a free country.  Most people alive today don't even know how exciting things are when the economic growth rate is 7 or 8 percent.  They have never even experienced a robust economy, much less what it would be like under a system built on individual rights. 

As a series, I hope they will show the massive level of deception involved in progressivism, and what government is by its very nature, and what human nature is (because that sets the foundation and direction of all the social sciences), and a vision of what life as a free people could be. 

I'm far from a literate writer and the books are far from eloquent, but I hope they support the key principles in a solid way.  I'll get them written and up on the internet, but how to mass market them is still a project I'm unclear on. (More study... sigh)  Any ideas on mass marketing would be gratefully received.

On 6/21/2016 at 11:49 PM, SteveWolfer said:
The thread title was suggested (sort of) by Michael.  I emailed him and asked about promoting my books on OL.  He chided me for being shy about it.  Thank you, Michael.

Here's the story:

I've wanted, especially as I get older, to make some kind of effort towards changing our country's political trajectory.  Each time someone came up with an idea, like Mark Levin's Liberty Amendments (for the constitution), or Charles Murray's civil disobedience schemes, or Thomas Wood's ideas on State Nullification, I'd get excited... for a short time.  I'd think, "Yes!  Finally, a way to turn things around for a while and give rationality time to catch up."  But, in each case, and in every other direction I've looked with fond, but unrealistic hopes, reality would return. 

For a while I was ready to devote my remaining years to creating a professional, multi-year campaign to put through a series of constitutional amendments.  That was my last this-will-get-us-right scheme, but after a fair amount of planning, I got to where I looked at the constitutions of some of the individual states, to see what they required to be able to pass an amendment to the US constitution (one that hadn't originated with the US Congress), and decided that was a non-starter.  I gave it up and decided there are no quick fixes.  The only path to the kind of change we want is education.

A people get the government they deserve and by "deserve" I refer to their level of understanding of political principles.

So, I decided to write a series of books intended to present the basic principles that should be understood by a free people.  I'm calling them "Wolfer's Primer on..." and the first one takes apart progressivism: Wolfer's Primer on Progressivism.  When I started a serious study of progressivism I was stunned at how much I didn't know.  Anyway, that book has been written.  It is short and to the point (about 80 pages) and available on Amazon.com as either a Kindle eBook, or a paperback.  I kept the prices very, very low.

Last week I finished all of the little details involved in putting my second book up on Amazon.com.  It is "Wolfer's Primer on The Nature of Government".  You and I both know about how drastically different the average person's understanding of what government should be and should do is from the Objectivist position.  This book is even shorter - about 50 pages (and equally inexpensive).

I'll be writing a couple more.  My next one will be a little more involved.  It will be on Human Nature.  After that, my plan is for a book on Liberty - the idea being to paint an attractive word picture of how exciting and benevolent life would be like when living in a free country.  Most people alive today don't even know how exciting things are when the economic growth rate is 7 or 8 percent.  They have never even experienced a robust economy, much less what it would be like under a system built on individual rights. 

As a series, I hope they will show the massive level of deception involved in progressivism, and what government is by its very nature, and what human nature is (because that sets the foundation and direction of all the social sciences), and a vision of what life as a free people could be. 

I'm far from a literate writer and the books are far from eloquent, but I hope they support the key principles in a solid way.  I'll get them written and up on the internet, but how to mass market them is still a project I'm unclear on. (More study... sigh)  Any ideas on mass marketing would be gratefully received.

During the go-go years from about 1960 to 1990   the government was pumping the economy.  What you and I saw was NOT the operation of a free market economy.   During the Reagan administration the Republicans  were operating  a scam greater than that of the New Deal.  St. Ronald was delivering $1.75 of government for ever $1.00 collected in taxes running up a deficit far greater than any Democrat administration.  We are now living with the consequences of that insanity.  The closest thing to a properly operating economy came after the war and mostly during the Eisenhower years.  The maniac Lyndon Johnson monitized the debt and turned the Federal Reserve into a high volume counterfeiting operation which enabled St. Ronald to run government as a high volume high deficit operation.  .  Between Johnson and Reagan we have been ruined.  Hardly anyone under 65  knows the slightest thing about how a properly running economy operates. 

BaalChatzaf, Thank you for the kind words.  I hope you enjoy the books. 

I think that we have had too much government monkey business in the economy since Teddy Roosevelt started demonizing big business and promoting Anti-Trust legislation.  Woodrow Wilson gave us the Fed and the IRS, FDR acted as if the days of limited government were not only over, but forgotten.  LBJ showed how we could go great giveaways, lots of new departments AND fight a senseless war (Bush followed his example where he was quite compassionate with our money), Nixon severed the last thread connecting the currency to gold and let inflation start to roar, and Obama took us to new heights of debt, spending, and all around economic and regulatory idiocy.  No one alive today remembers what it was like when we didn't have a regulatory state and where to start a business, you just went out started the business.