We are all Jews...

BaalChatzaf

Master Sargent Roddie Edmonds has been honored for his heroic stand. When his company was captured during WW2 the Nazi officer demanded that all the Jewish soldiers be handed over separately for "special treatment" Edmond's told the Nazi officers -- we are all Jews here (200 Americans).

Please see: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/master-sgt-roddie-edmonds-honored-israel-defending-jews-n504441

I am Spartacus! That was a Very brave action to take. Is a person a Jew because of genes or religious beliefs? I always found the idea that only a mother can hand down official Jewishness a bit absurd.

From the standpoint of Jewish Law a person is Jewish if his/her mother is Jewish OR if that person has undergone a course of training and has converted to Judaism in a manner satisfactory to an orthodox rabbi. The prototypical convert is Naomi who was a Midianite but who identified with her husband's people. After he died, she said to her mother in law: Your people shall be my people and your God shall be my God. Naomi, the convert, was King David's grandmother. Whenever born Jews get a bit snippy about a convert, they are reminded of the story of Naomi. A converted Jew is as Jewish as any Jew born to a Jewish mother. In fact the connection to the religion is stronger since it was not a happenstance but the result of a choice.

Rand had the same attitude about choosing to be an American vs. being one by accident of birth. There's an amusing story about her campaigning for Wendell Wilkie (against FDR) and responding to some guff from a cretin who apparently didn't like her accent. Maybe someone can post a direct quote about this story...

REB

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. -Hebrews 11:1

Thanks for the explanation, Ba’al. So, your thingy doesn’t need to be dingied? I like the above quote because it projects a benevolent sense of optimism, not necessarily JUST about some divine deity. It reminds me of Rand’s reasons for knowing the dark side of the moon was not made out of green cheese. I found the quote in a new Jesse Stone (Robert B. Parker) police detective novel though in that book it says it’s 11:6 but the internet says 11:1

Ba’al wrote: Whenever born Jews get a bit snippy about a convert, they are reminded of the story of Naomi.
end quote

Every religion and some philosophies have those snippy people. They make me burp like after I eat a slice of over-spiced pumpkin pie.
Peter

Rand had the same attitude about choosing to be an American vs. being one by accident of birth. There's an amusing story about her campaigning for Wendell Wilkie (against FDR) and responding to some guff from a cretin who apparently didn't like her accent. Maybe someone can post a direct quote about this story...

REB

"I chose to be an American. What did you choose to be?"

?

--Brant