Indian Superman - There. Are. No. Words. :)

Tell me it ain't so, Joe...

:smile:

Michael

Great scene...

Interesting article on the movie, which I think is a great movie, and that it lost almost $800,000.00.

Moreover, it took 11 years to make. He had the rights for years and no money.

He shot the film on a super budget...replacing folks that would not work for $20.00 [his budget allotment] as fans dressed in period.

So, he used cardboard cutouts as the fans in the seats!

19. The film recreates the famous moment outside the courthouse where a boy supposedly pleaded to Jackson, "Say it ain't so, Joe." In truth, the boy probably never said that. Newspapers from the time have the unnamed urchin asking Jackson, "It ain't true, is it?" "Yes, kid, I'm afraid it is," Jackson reportedly answered. "Well, I'd never have thought it," the kid is said to have replied.

Some truly fascinating relationship between the filmmaker and the author of the book...

11. Sayles said Asinof was resentful at first that Sayles had bought the movie rights to his book, as he'd made a small fortune optioning it out over the years to producers who never got the film made. But then, Sayles said, Asinof read the screenplay and found it faithful to the book. Sayles cast Asinof as one of the team owners, so the writer was on the set. Cusack told Bob Costas in 2013 that he remembers drinking at the bar with Asinof and Terkel during downtime on the set. "He was in heaven," the actor said of Asinof.

Lot's of other gems about not having the money to do what the filmmaker did with the Pride of the Yankees which had Lou Gerhrig [Gary Cooper], run around the bases backwards and then reversed the film:

8. Right-handed Sweeney had to learn to bat left-handed, the way Jackson did. Sweeney has said the filmmakers had considered doing what Gary Cooper did as Lou Gehrig in "Pride of the Yankees" -- have him wear a mirror-image uniform, shoot him running the bases clockwise, then simply reverse the negative -- but they couldn't afford to do so.

Really interesting article.

http://www.moviefone.com/2013/09/02/eight-men-out-25-things-you-didnt-know/

A...

Indian Superman

I can't think of anything clever to say that could possibly add to this aesthetic experience.

Oh the pain... the pain...

:smile::smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Michael

What an Objectively wonderful work of art!

The couple's movements are completely synchronized with, responsive and rationally obedient to the music! It is daringly light, effortless, almost casual. The impression one gets is: complete control - man's mind in effortless control of his expertly functioning body. The keynote is: precision. It conveys a sense of purpose, discipline, clarity -- a mathematical kind of clarity -- combined with an unlimited freedom of movement and an inexhaustible inventiveness that daringly dares the sudden, the unexpected, yet never loses the central integrating line: the music's rhythm. Oh, what rational joy!!!

Esthetically, the video is sheer perfection of workmanship, and it expertly projects rational metaphysical value-judgments through the stylization of man’s movements by the continuous power of a joyous emotional state — and thus it masterfully uses man’s body to express his proper sense of life.

It objectively conveys the attitude of golden sun rays and innocent kittens leaping through the air with their heads thrown back, and who are not afraid to give the gift of their joy to the world by eagerly and proudly depositing a mouse that they caught at your feet. They rightfully expect -- and demand -- to be adored for their innocence, cuteness, and objectively esthetic incredibleness, not punished for it, and they are strong enough to not be affected by the monstrously monstrous forces of unspeakable evil who hate the good for being good and would ridicule these brilliantly talented and glowingly awesome performers.

J

What an Objectively wonderful work of art!

I'm withholding judgement until I see a version with subtitles. You never know what anti-man sentiments might be lurking in the text. Anyone here speak Hindi?

After further review, the clip is from a movie, and appears to be a sort of daydreaming or fantasy vision that a man is spinning to a woman to entertain or woo her. The scene in which the daydream happens is what appears to be her place of employment, with the two costumes hanging up in the background (perhaps she works at a dry cleaner's or costume shop?), and her suitor notices the costumes while flirting with her, and apparently works them into the fantasy.

So, the superman/spiderwoman bit could very likely be intended to be campy/homemade/goofy looking. We'd have to know not only the language but the cultural context of the time.

Damn, not the necessity of access to "outside considerations" when it comes to being as objective as possible in judging art!

J