Love defined in one sentence?

Revamp

I'm also totally free to do business with people who hold a wide spectrum of different political views, because the criteria for an ethical business transaction is matching values... not matching political views. So I never hold people's politics against them as long as they have decent values...

...and that's why I never do business with people who have your kind of values. As Ayn Rand would say, you ring the "leper's bell" wherever you go... and whenever I hear that sound, I know it's wise to avoid any contact.

Greg

You failed.

Are your vaccinations up to date?

Cough, cough!

--Brant

cough

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Internet is not direct personal face to face interaction. And once you grow up, you don't return to the angry petulant contentious childhood that Jonathan failed to leave.

Greg

It isn't?

That's a relief.

But that childhood thingie--I've only seen it on TV as a stereotype for prepubescent girls, not in real children. Of course, I've been out of touch with real children for decades--and for those kinds of TV shows too. Are you sure you've not described Archie Bunker?

--Brant

I'm also totally free to do business with people who hold a wide spectrum of different political views, because the criteria for an ethical business transaction is matching values... not matching political views. So I never hold people's politics against them as long as they have decent values...

Greg

Virtues are as much values, particularly the topmost virtues ( rationality, productiveness, pride) that one gains other values through. It's a dead cert that you know this implicitly, Greg. Small businesses are overlooked often, but they are the capitalist spine of a nation, imo. In them are the personal, one on one transactions on a concrete level beneath the abstractions of "Capitalism" and "the Market". I gather you'd laugh if anyone suggested to you that making a customer happy with your product and service at extra effort is in any way a cost to your values, or self-sacrificial. It's of course pride and a long range value like your reputation, that is as or more important than the immediate profit-value.

Tony writes:

Virtues are as much values, particularly the topmost virtues ( rationality, productiveness, pride) that one gains other values through. It's a dead cert that you know this implicitly, Greg. Small businesses are overlooked often, but they are the capitalist spine of a nation, imo. In them are the personal, one on one transactions on a concrete level beneath the abstractions of "Capitalism" and "the Market". I gather you'd laugh if anyone suggested to you that making a customer happy with your product and service at extra effort is in any way a cost to your values, or self-sacrificial. It's of course pride and a long range value like your reputation, that is as or more important than the immediate profit-value.

Your assessment is totally accurate, Tony.

I never try to make a profit.

Instead I create goodwill.

Profit takes care of itself. :smile:

This approach is the key to success in business. The goodwill of those I serve makes me an indispensable asset to my community. I'm constantly in high demand no matter the economic or political climate. People throw money at me.

Goodwill transcends everything else. nodder.gif

Greg

Tony writes:

You know, if you were just to tone it down a bit, it would be so much easier to comment positively on some of the other things you post. It would serve your cause. Just a thought.

Jonathan's ugly attitude is his own worst enemy, and will always be an obstacle to success in his life unless he can learn how to grow up.

Greg

...however, private property rights is a Conservative principle not a liberal one... so I'll say she's Conservative for defending those rights regardless of the political views of her clients. Especially if she might be practicing wholly within the private sector and not connected with the government.

Wrong. So much for your stupidity.

...and that's why I never do business with people who have your kind of values, Jonathan. As Ayn Rand would say, you ring the "leper's bell" wherever you go... and whenever I hear that sound, I know it's wise to avoid any contact.

Wrong again, moron. Your philosophy and your beliefs in your abilities to prognosticate or divine other's values or politics is a ridiculous fantasy that clashes with reality. And when confronted with reality, you always insist on clinging to the fantasy.

J

...however, private property rights is a Conservative principle not a liberal one... so I'll say she's Conservative for defending those rights regardless of the political views of her clients. Especially if she might be practicing wholly within the private sector and not connected with the government.

Wrong. So much for your stupidity.

J

Let me try: I see a transgender communist anarchist active in PETA.

(Do I win the fur-lined bathtub?)

--Brant

nice of you to take him off the stupidity hook (and now I'm on it)

Well I have seen your paintings, you could easily if you have not already sell limited edition signed prints for really good money as well as originals. You have sick talent Jonathan.

Thank you!

But of course Apey Greg says that I can't possibly have talent or success because his theory says so!

J

Well, Greg, at least you are in the great tradition of Ayn Rand: Show me who you sleep with and I'll tell you your philosophy of life.

She (Francisco) had to have meant more than mere "show." It took more than that before "Frisco" and "Slug" got it on.

--Brant

however, a third party cannot do this, not really, for objectification depends on too much disparate, hidden and fluctuating data--what you do in your life works for you for you wait for the right pitch, there being no called strikes, so it doesn't matter if it seems near perfect so you let those go by and if the pitch is bonkers wild that's obvious enough (the key is patience and discipline as in investing)

I do not know why you are concerned with "trust," however, on this forum, for trust and don't trust don't fly out of OL (what's to trust?): it's all verify (the ideas), plus me

Brant writes:I do not know why you are concerned with "trust,"
I don't have to be concerned because Jonathan hasn't earned it, doesn't deserve it, and isn't going to get it from me. :laugh:
(what's to trust?)
Nothing... until there's verification, my opinion is that he's lying through his teeth. :wink:Greg

Tony writes:

Your assessment is totally accurate, Tony.

I never try to make a profit.

Instead I create goodwill.

Profit takes care of itself. :smile:

This approach is the key to success in business. The goodwill of those I serve makes me an indispensable asset to my community. I'm constantly in high demand no matter the economic or political climate. People throw money at me.

Goodwill transcends everything else. nodder.gif

Greg

I'm with you on good will. I'm curious, how would it extend to a competitor of your business in your region?

What do you think of competition or competitiveness - that's a difference - in general?

Tony writes:I'm with you on good will. I'm curious, how would it extend to a competitor of your business in your region?

What do you think of competition or competitiveness - that's a difference - in general?

I consider fellow tradesmen to be my friends and not competitors, and don't hesitate recommending them when I have more work than I can handle... which is most of the time. Within my economic sphere there is an abundance of work.

There is a completely other "realm" operating right here and now in this world...

...but no one ever sees it unless they belong to it. :wink:

Greg

I'm with you on good will. I'm curious, how would it extend to a competitor of your business in your region?

I consider fellow tradesmen to be my friends and not competitors, and don't hesitate recommending them when I have more work than I can handle... which is most of the time. Within my economic sphere there is an abundance of work.

There is a completely other "realm" operating right here and now in this world...

...but no one ever sees it unless they belong to it. :wink:

Greg

Yes, indeed.

"Competition is a by-product of productive work, *not* its goal. A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, *not* by the desire to beat others". (AR)

In the end reality - the market - decides. Those in business (and for all other people) mostly recognize that fact, that it is their own endeavors which pull them through, as so it is for all other businessmen. Others aren't the enemy, reality is the common ground you all face. I believe that's the core of benevolence within Capitalism.

I'm positive you're right, your "realm" of small business mostly goes unseen. You aren't "too big to fail". When one looks at big corporations and government, a whole other thing has happened. I am sure because of regulation, interference and eventual co-dependency - I have a little theory that a form of competitiveness ("the desire to beat others") has emerged as more primary, in recent times. The "by-product" is now the cart that leads the horse, and capitalism and its goodwill has suffered as a result.

Tony writes:

I'm positive you're right, your "realm" of small business mostly goes unseen.

That's true, but not because it's small...

...for there are other people who share the same values and so we do business with one another other. And while I'll never know them all, I do know those with whom I personally interact, and they know others with whom they interact, and they know others, and they know others... and on and on.

So it is an invisible world of overlapping personal spheres of influence which cannot be seen from outside. No one experiences this realm unless they're within it.

From the inside, trust is the glue that holds this other world together. It exists by being worthy of the trust of others and upholding the trust of others who are worthy of being trusted.

Within this other world, cups overflow with abundant blessings. :smile:

Greg

Tony writes:

I'm positive you're right, your "realm" of small business mostly goes unseen.

That's true, but not because it's small...

...for there are other people who share the same values and so we do business with one another other. And while I'll never know them all, I do know those with whom I personally interact, and they know others with whom they interact, and they know others, and they know others... and on and on.

So it is an invisible world of overlapping personal spheres of influence which cannot be seen from outside. No one experiences this realm unless they're within it.

Every transaction is 100% visible to tax authorities, or felony tax evasion. Quit bullshitting, Greg.