Russky solves Traveling Salesman Problem

BaalChatzaf

I just caught this:

The apparent breakthrough was achieved by L. G. Khachian, and was published in a Soviet scientific journal, Doklady, last January. Few people in the West read the journal and it was only after rumours of the discovery circulated at a conference in Germany that anyone in the mathematical world at large had even a hint that someone had come up with an answer to what is known in the trade as the “travelling salesman” problem.

Way to go, L.G. Khacian!!!!!

Taken literally the TSP is no problem at all. It's no problem for a salesman for he's going one way or the other even if haphazardly. It's a problem for mathematicians expressed metaphorically. Maybe its solution is valuable for airplane or space flights or a scientific investigation, but not for an ignorant, mathematically deficient sod as myself.

--Brant

not even a travelling salesman

Taken literally the TSP is no problem at all. It's no problem for a salesman for he's going one way or the other even if haphazardly. It's a problem for mathematicians expressed metaphorically. Maybe its solution is valuable for airplane or space flights or a scientific investigation, but not for an ignorant, mathematically deficient sod as myself.

--Brant

not even a travelling salesman

"solving the T.S.P." means doing it on polynomial time on the set of stops. If there are N stops then the number of steps required is a polynomial function of N. This is to be distinguished from exponential time. Most of the popular combinatorial programs have be show to be NP-complete. T.S.P. is NP-hard. If this proof the Russian gave is valid and generalizable it may lead to a solution of P = NP which is the biggest open problem in computation theory.

Ba'al Chatzaf