Health & Wellness

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My back used to periodically go out from straining it at work, but since swinging a kettlebell I've had zero back pain! It's never felt so good, and when I sit at my desk I no longer use the chair back. I started out with a small 12kg (26lb.) kettlebell just to see how it would be, and when I first tried swinging it I thought I was going to die. But I kept doing it and gradually worked up to a 24kg (53lb.). I'm 130lbs and I think if they were any heavier they would carry me through the nearest wall! :laugh: I really like the simplicity of kettlebells. Just a few of them make up a whole gym that takes up almost no space at all.

Greg

My back used to periodically go out from straining it at work, but since swinging a kettlebell I've had zero back pain! It's never felt so good, and when I sit at my desk I no longer use the chair back. I started out with a small 12kg (26lb.) kettlebell just to see how it would be, and when I first tried swinging it I thought I was going to die. But I kept doing it and gradually worked up to a 24kg (53lb.). I'm 130lbs and I think if they were any heavier they would carry me through the nearest wall! :laugh: I really like the simplicity of kettlebells. Just a few of them make up a whole gym that takes up almost no space at all.

Greg

Yes, same here. If I miss more than a day or so I get sciatica pain in my left leg. A day with KB swings and the back pain is gone, like I never hurt my back at all. I still get a laugh from your video. Mark Reifkind would really enjoy it too, I think. I'll send him a link unless you tell me not too!

I weigh about 150 and I experienced the same thing w/ the larger bells. I made a T handle "core blaster" which you can load up with plates as heavy as you want. It was really dragging me around trying to swing it. I sent a video to one of the SFG trainers, got some pointers on the "hard style" swing and now if feels pretty solid. I do 2-3 sets of 5 with 80lbs at least once a week. That class I took was really fun btw. I think there's one in San Diego later this year. There are some really good KB master trainers down there in SCal too. The instruction is really worthwhile in my opinion.

Just a helpful hint.

Peppermint essential oil...inhaled regularly will help your lung function.

Additionally, if you have allergies, sinus problems, it is miraculous.

A...

Cute!

And here I thought you might have used them as a cock ring...

Greg

Yes, same here. If I miss more than a day or so I get sciatica pain in my left leg. A day with KB swings and the back pain is gone, like I never hurt my back at all. I still get a laugh from your video. Mark Reifkind would really enjoy it too, I think. I'll send him a link unless you tell me not too!

I weigh about 150 and I experienced the same thing w/ the larger bells. I made a T handle "core blaster" which you can load up with plates as heavy as you want. It was really dragging me around trying to swing it. I sent a video to one of the SFG trainers, got some pointers on the "hard style" swing and now if feels pretty solid. I do 2-3 sets of 5 with 80lbs at least once a week. That class I took was really fun btw. I think there's one in San Diego later this year. There are some really good KB master trainers down there in SCal too. The instruction is really worthwhile in my opinion.

Yikes, Mike... 80 pounds!

I take it slow and easy because I never did any kind of weight training before. As long as a simple swing keeps my back in tune, I'm happy. :smile:

Greg

Greg

Yikes, Mike... 80 pounds!

I take it slow and easy because I never did any kind of weight training before. As long as a simple swing keeps my back in tune, I'm happy. :smile:

Greg

Here are some heavy swings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej8hToJzx08

BTW, Max Shank's series on thoracic bridge exercise is pretty neat. Feels good.

A guy would have to be a super stud with a name like Max Shank... I don't blame him for his choice of profession.

Just a helpful hint.

Peppermint essential oil...inhaled regularly will help your lung function.

Additionally, if you have allergies, sinus problems, it is miraculous.

A...

Sounds like something I will try.

Adam, how do you proceed with the inhaling?

A nostril at a time...both simultaneously?

For how long?

How long does the relief last?

What brand?

Thanks

-Joe

Joe

Sounds like something I will try.

Adam, how do you proceed with the inhaling?

A nostril at a time...both simultaneously?

For how long?

How long does the relief last?

What brand?

Thanks

-Joe

Joe

oops

I can only tell you how I use it...

one nostril at a time - nasal clarity instantaneously...

as to lung function - since I am asthmatic, it makes doing the diaphragmatic breathing much simpler,

again for me.

As to the "best brand," Aura Cacia which was an impulse buy at a small local health food store,

therefore more expensive.

You would be better off buying it on-line...

Key is "essential oil."

Respiratory problems: Menthol, which is abundantly present in peppermint oil, helps to clear the respiratory tract. It is also an effective expectorant and therefore provides instantaneous, though temporary, relief for numerous respiratory problems including nasal congestion, sinusitis, asthma, bronchitis, cold and cough. As a result, it is used in numerous cold rubs and balms. When these cold rubs are applied to the chest, they can quickly remove nasal and respiratory congestion. In one study, the use of peppermint oil proved to be antispasmodic, expectorant, and anti-inflammatory in nature, and considerably soothed the trachea inflammation and coughing in rats. Obviously, more human-based studies need to be made, but it has been a frequent part of alternative medicine for generations, and is highly respected for its use in relieving respiratory issues.

https://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/natural-essential-oils/health-benefits-of-peppermint-oil.html

The 15 ml bottle that I bought was 7.28 - the site above 28.00 +

A...

I can only tell you how I use it...

one nostril at a time - nasal clarity instantaneously...

as to lung function - since I am asthmatic, it makes doing the diaphragmatic breathing much simpler,

again for me.

As to the "best brand," Aura Cacia which was an impulse buy at a small local health food store,

therefore more expensive.

You would be better off buying it on-line...

Key is "essential oil."

Respiratory problems: Menthol, which is abundantly present in peppermint oil, helps to clear the respiratory tract. It is also an effective expectorant and therefore provides instantaneous, though temporary, relief for numerous respiratory problems including nasal congestion, sinusitis, asthma, bronchitis, cold and cough. As a result, it is used in numerous cold rubs and balms. When these cold rubs are applied to the chest, they can quickly remove nasal and respiratory congestion. In one study, the use of peppermint oil proved to be antispasmodic, expectorant, and anti-inflammatory in nature, and considerably soothed the trachea inflammation and coughing in rats. Obviously, more human-based studies need to be made, but it has been a frequent part of alternative medicine for generations, and is highly respected for its use in relieving respiratory issues.

https://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/natural-essential-oils/health-benefits-of-peppermint-oil.html

The 15 ml bottle that I bought was 7.28 - the site above 28.00 +

A...

Thanks.

-J

Tried the peppermint oil today. What a blast...opened the nasal passages nicely.

Thanks Adam.

Tried the peppermint oil today. What a blast...opened the nasal passages nicely.

Thanks Adam.

My pleasure.

It is hilarious sitting in these waiting areas and "snorting" Peppermint oil, the drug dogs even look

at me and give me a "WTF??" look.

A...

Thanks Adam.

My pleasure.

It is hilarious sitting in these waiting areas and "snorting" Peppermint oil, the drug dogs even look

at me and give me a "WTF??" look.

A...

lol. give the dogs a whiff...like in Cool Hand Luke.

lol. give the dogs a whiff.

Not a chance.

Not getting shot by some trigger have agent of the State, well certainly not for Peppermint oil...

lol. give the dogs a whiff.

Not a chance.

Not getting shot by some trigger have agent of the State, well certainly not for Peppermint oil...

Remember the scene in Cool Hand Luke when he set a pepper trap for approaching dogs?

• 6 months later...

Here's the good doctor's take on antibiotics:

"Antibiotics are an incredible, life-saving tool that we have in medicine. In fact, they are arguably one of the greatest medical discoveries of our time.

However, in America, we see injudicious use of antibiotics, not only in our own bodies, but in the animals that give us the food we eat. In fact, 70% of the antibiotics we use in America today are fed to livestock! Why is this something we should be worried about? Learn more in today’s video"

Anit biotics have been exceedingly overused. The price: evolution of microbes who are immune the the anti-biotics. One the the big problems in hospitals not are MRSA. micro organisms. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methicillin-resistant_Staphylococcus_aureus#Hospital_patients

Anyone who has been around someone with advanced Alzheimer's (I have) knows how horrible it is for the patient and how heartbreaking it is for the family & close friends.

This new study, although not conclusive, offers some additional hope with the treatment & possible reversal (!) of it.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4111434964001/a-look-at-the-new-hope-for-alzheimers-patients/?#sp=show-clips

Add this to the prevention method, which advocates the limited intake of (inflammation causing), sugar, carbs & glutton & we could be making significant progress.

-J