How Contemplation Changes Our Brains For The Better, Or, Does It?

Selene

In light of some of the recent threads that have developed over the last few weeks, this article asks important questions.

bt-contemplation.jpg?1386258010
A number of unique paragraphs exist in this article and are worthy of contemplation:
1)

More interesting than simple and flagrant disregard, the refusal to tell someone else where you're heading points to a more complex problem. What a driver says when switching one, two, three lanes without signaling not only entails neglect. The basic sentiment is: you should know what I'm doing already. Built into this mindset is a sort of metaphysical solipsism.

2)

We assume that since the tap provides consistent water, it is an unlimited resource, not recognizing the social and political structures that make such convenience a reality, nor how much waste we produce when a solution as simple as paying attention to what you actually need to use exists.

3)

Partaking in a contemplative practice needs to extend beyond our own problems and dilemmas and address our role in society—how our actions affect others, how our assumptions easily lead to suffering. There is a symbiotic relationship one develops with contemplative practice. It's impossible to understand your own actions without framing them within the context of the world around you…unless, of course, you believe the world around you was put here for your pleasure alone.

4)

...researchers have been able to focus on our brain's posterior cingulate cortex, the region activated when we think about ourselves, including our daydreams and cravings. This is the area that we sometimes feel oppressed by; if, say, we let a daydream run amuck and conjure intense emotional trauma. Without mental training, we empower fears to create stories that subsequently define our actions, creating the realty we experience.

5)

Another benefit of the contemplative discipline is the weakening of what is called the brain's Me Center, or the medial prefrontal cortex. This region, along with the insula, give you 'gut feelings.' When the amygdala, or fear center, is then activated, you begin the process of flying, fighting or freezing. Meditation has been shown to weaken the Me Center, helping practitioners stop thinking that the world is about 'you.'

6)

Without a direct and detailed assessment of our everyday actions it is challenging to grow in any sustainable manner. Philosophies are useless unless applied.

http://bigthink.com/21st-century-spirituality/how-contemplation-changes-our-brains-for-the-better

5)

Another benefit of the contemplative discipline is the weakening of what is called the brain's Me Center, or the medial prefrontal cortex. This region, along with the insula, give you 'gut feelings.' When the amygdala, or fear center, is then activated, you begin the process of flying, fighting or freezing. Meditation has been shown to weaken the Me Center, helping practitioners stop thinking that the world is about 'you.'

http://bigthink.com/21st-century-spirituality/how-contemplation-changes-our-brains-for-the-better

Regarding #5 Try telling that to Ayn Rand.

Ba'al Chatzaf

5)

Regarding #5 Try telling that to Ayn Rand.

<rimshot>

Hey-ooooooooooo