Firearms

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad about Nevada.

California and Washington? I can't say I care. They're just manufacturing black markets.

The real issues are carry laws and exercising the right to self defense.

The blue states are cesspools of collectivist corruptions.

The real issue or issues are national.

--Brant

more prone to celebrate since November 8

1 hour ago, Brant Gaede said:

Too bad about Nevada.

California and Washington? I can't say I care. They're just manufacturing black markets.

The real issues are carry laws and exercising the right to self defense.

The blue states are cesspools of collectivist corruptions.

The real issue or issues are national.

--Brant

more prone to celebrate since November 8

Agreed. What I find particularly atrocious is the backround checks for the purchase of ammo. The last firearm I purchased required a check and it took the clerk about 20 minutes on phone hold with the "authorities" to get the ok. Add to that I needed to pay $25 for that ok. I don't fault the retailer for the charge since his employee's time on the phone and filling out the paperwork by his employee costs him money. Fortunately, there are no backround checks for ammo here in Nevada...not yet..but if you're a California resident and want to buy a box of, say 9mm shells, which sell for around $15-$20, you will probably end up paying more for the backround check than the ammo itself. Add to that the wait for the check will probably be long and the stores will need to hire additional people to process these checks. The Left is going after the ammo, the firearms, the firearm manufacturers and the retailers all in the name of the public safety(?)... It's a full court press on all fronts--J

"Who will protect us from our protectors?" AR

1 hour ago, Backlighting said:

Agreed. What I find particularly atrocious is the backround checks for the purchase of ammo. The last firearm I purchased required a check and it took the clerk about 20 minutes on phone hold with the "authorities" to get the ok. Add to that I needed to pay $25 for that ok. I don't fault the retailer for the charge since his employee's time on the phone and filling out the paperwork by his employee costs him money. Fortunately, there are no backround checks for ammo here in Nevada...not yet..but if you're a California resident and want to buy a box of, say 9mm shells, which sell for around $15-$20, you will probably end up paying more for the backround check than the ammo itself. Add to that the wait for the check will probably be long and the stores will need to hire additional people to process these checks. The Left is going after the ammo, the firearms, the firearm manufacturers and the retailers all in the name of the public safety(?)... It's a full court press on all fronts--J

"Who will protect us from our protectors?" AR

And your alternative if you want to legally buy ammo?

--Brant

If I lived in California I would have to buy a bulk quantity of ammo at one time to spread out the cost of the backround check fee, assuming bulk ammo purchases are legal. No way around it.

18 minutes ago, Backlighting said:

If I lived in California I would have to buy a bulk quantity of ammo at one time to spread out the cost of the backround check fee, assuming bulk ammo purchases are legal. No way around it.

I suggest you don't have a current strongly felt need to buy ammo or you'd come up with a way around it. For instance, why don't you drive to Arizona and buy the ammo there? I'm not saying you can do this, but have you thought of it? Perhaps I could buy it for you and then sell it to you? (Meet you at the border?) Etc.

--Brant

I'll go to WalMart soon and see if they ID me (if they don't, I'll pay cash)

1 minute ago, Brant Gaede said:

I suggest you don't have a current strongly felt need to buy ammo or you'd come up with a way around it. For instance, why don't you drive to Arizona and buy the ammo there? I'm not saying you can do this, but have you thought of it? Perhaps I could buy it for you and then sell it to you? (Meet you at the border?) Etc.

--Brant

I'll go to WalMart soon and see if they ID me (if they don't, I'll pay cash)

No problem for me getting ammo/firearms here in NV. It's where I live. Glad I no longer live in CA. It's become the statist epicenter. I suspect there will be many from CA. coming here and where you are to get the ammo they want.

One huge virtue of California is it warns the rest of the country with all its statist consequences. This includes Marxist thuggery. That the statists want to use and use force is revealed in many of the blue states. (Is it safe to put a TRUMP bumper sticker on your car?) And, of course, they'll do it democratically with all the laws they want passed and enforced, by government thugs. (On the conservative right you had the murder of abortion doctors which has died down.)

There's not much post-election rioting in red states. A rioter might get shot or arrested. And it seems to be an urban phenomenon where it happens. As soon as the Federal and local governments start arresting and prosecuting these folk it will stop to the extent they'll have to realize that all they've had going for them is the use of force and intimidation. Their public lives will collapse. And when it comes down to force, who is scarier? Trained combat veterans like myself--millions of us--or 23 year old just-got-out-of-college-not-having-learned-anything-heavily-in-education-debt Social Justice Warriors?

--Brant

2 hours ago, Brant Gaede said:

One huge virtue of California is it warns the rest of the country with all its statist consequences. This includes Marxist thuggery. That the statists want to use and use force is revealed in many of the blue states. (Is it safe to put a TRUMP bumper sticker on your car?) And, of course, they'll do it democratically with all the laws they want passed and enforced, by government thugs. (On the conservative right you had the murder of abortion doctors which has died down.)

There's not much post-election rioting in red states. A rioter might get shot or arrested. And it seems to be an urban phenomenon where it happens. As soon as the Federal and local governments start arresting and prosecuting these folk it will stop to the extent they'll have to realize that all they've had going for them is the use of force and intimidation. Their public lives will collapse. And when it comes down to force, who is scarier? Trained combat veterans like myself--millions of us--or 23 year old just-got-out-of-college-not-having-learned-anything-heavily-in-education-debt Social Justice Warriors?

--Brant

Oh the Left coast is a Wild coast and Commie

and a patriot lives there alone

But a Commie  rules in the State House

And a Patriot is all alone.

• 3 weeks later...

Now here's a Xmas gift for the man/ woman who has everything:

https://www.engadget.com/2015/03/19/49-state-legal-personal-flamethrower/

Wow. The list of possible uses was intriguing in the ad. But I don’t like to overcook my raccoon. As a kid I watched WWII movies on TV and the flamethrowers were an awesome but grotesque weapon. Those Japs just would not surrender, and by the time I saw the footage, around the early sixties, there were actually Japanese war brides in our community, so it was awkward for everyone, Pilgrim.

When I lived at Fort Campbell, Kentucky as a child and young teen, our next door neighbor who was a CWO liked to clear brush with cans of gas. He would throw them over the brush and then light it, keeping a hose and a shovel handy. I think he only received one small burn on his hand, and it was very entertaining to watch. The neighborhood kids were so enthralled they helped him clear it out after the fire was dampened.

Ron Paul is advertising a freeze dry food preserver on Rush Limbaugh’s show that keeps the food edible for years. Maybe I will get that as a present from Santa, but it would be nice if they invented a canning method that kept the food from spoiling for 20 or more years.

Peter

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

Wow. The list of possible uses was intriguing in the ad. But I don’t like to overcook my raccoon.

Ron Paul is advertising a freeze dry food preserver on Rush Limbaugh’s show that keeps the food edible for years. Maybe I will get that as a present from Santa, but it would be nice if they invented a canning method that kept the food from spoiling for 20 or more years.

Peter

The things to have in a go bag are endless arent they? ;) As long as the weight doesnt sap the go from you.

A weapon, even something as innocent as a sling shot can do wonders. Last year I learned to snare small game from a SERE instructor.

Re the long lasting food. I bought a yrs worth. The food in the #10 cans is said to last 15 to 20 yrs unopened, also assumes proper storage. The problem with canned freeze dried food isnt so much the life of the goods, its the nutritional and taste qualities. I bought the stuff rated tops and it is gawd awful. About apocalypse, it will be the end of days before I eat it again.

Honey, however lasts forever. I have a mason jar canned on the family farm in '79 that will go a long way in answering my sweet tooth needs.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm amazed at the concentration employed by this youngster firing a rifle. Check out the video:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/12/16/little-girl-enjoys-shooting-precision-rifle/

19 minutes ago, Backlighting said:

I'm amazed at the concentration employed by this youngster firing a rifle. Check out the video:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/12/16/little-girl-enjoys-shooting-precision-rifle/

The rifle rest she is using could easily be 85% or so of her results. This is not to say she could or should be doing anything differently at her age.

--Brant

25 minutes ago, Brant Gaede said:

The rifle rest she is using could easily be 85% or so of her results. This is not to say she could or should be doing anything differently at her age.

--Brant

Yes, and a rest can help anyone to better place their shots. Too bad the the grouping was not shown. Nonetheless It was her concentration that caught my eye.

P.S. I'd also say she handled that bolt with assuredness.

1 hour ago, Backlighting said:

Yes, and a rest can help anyone to better place their shots. Too bad the the grouping was not shown. Nonetheless It was her concentration that caught my eye.

P.S. I'd also say she handled that bolt with assuredness.

Needs reposting for it's not now available.

--Brant

18 minutes ago, Brant Gaede said:

Needs reposting for it's not now available.

--Brant

This works for me:

Shot gun? Check. Other small arms and ammo? Check. Battery operated radio and cell phone? Check. One thing that worries me is that modern houses have glass windows that can easily be broken. Rush was advertising a security system that can run on batteries in an emergency but I doubt I will get one and rely on my ears and someone being home most of the time in stead.

May the gods be with you on this very warm, wet and windy Sunday. (68 at noon. More rain around 3.) Today my wife drove into our driveway, parked her car, and then about twenty minutes later a hundred pound pine branch fell across the entire driveway.    

Many people who own firearms also prepare for catastrophe. Remember that movie, “2012” that used the Mayan calendar to predict the election of Donald Trump? joke. They predicted a catastrophe not a “restart” or a “jump start” of America. I am still feeling very optimistic with recount, electoral college day, tomorrow . Laissez Faire-ish, starting Jan. 20th?

I wonder if anyone has a latter day ark available. Maybe the Latter Day Saints since they keep one year of food on hand and habitually eat and restock their supplies. Peanut butter and crackers, unopened and stored separately, keep well for a year. I keep Jif creamy and saltines on hand as well as other canned goods and that was easily done. I change my dozen water bottles every six months, and if we have a hurricane or blizzard coming I store other supplies too.

Peter

9 hours ago, Peter said:

Shot gun? Check. Other small arms and ammo? Check. Battery operated radio and cell phone? Check. One thing that worries me is that modern houses have glass windows that can easily be broken. Rush was advertising a security system that can run on batteries in an emergency but I doubt I will get one and rely on my ears and someone being home most of the time in stead.

May the gods be with you on this very warm, wet and windy Sunday. (68 at noon. More rain around 3.) Today my wife drove into our driveway, parked her car, and then about twenty minutes later a hundred pound pine branch fell across the entire driveway.    

Many people who own firearms also prepare for catastrophe. Remember that movie, “2012” that used the Mayan calendar to predict the election of Donald Trump? joke. They predicted a catastrophe not a “restart” or a “jump start” of America. I am still feeling very optimistic with recount, electoral college day, tomorrow . Laissez Faire-ish, starting Jan. 20th?

I wonder if anyone has a latter day ark available. Maybe the Latter Day Saints since they keep one year of food on hand and habitually eat and restock their supplies. Peanut butter and crackers, unopened and stored separately, keep well for a year. I keep Jif creamy and saltines on hand as well as other canned goods and that was easily done. I change my dozen water bottles every six months, and if we have a hurricane or blizzard coming I store other supplies too.

Peter

I would also include a supply of water for drinking, cleaning & cooking. How much would depend on the # of people in the domicile and the length of time you believe you will need it.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 10:31 PM, Backlighting said:

I would also include a supply of water for drinking, cleaning & cooking. How much would depend on the # of people in the domicile and the length of time you believe you will need it.

I have two halves of a plastic 55 gallon drum and I fill them with water for flushing from my hose. It takes about a half bucket to flush the toilet, so if we might have an outage I fill two buckets and at least one of the half drums.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Nevada's Attorney General deemed a new Nevada law passed on November 8 requiring background checks on
private gun sales unenforceable. The law was to have gone into effect January 1, 2017.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/local/nevada/nevada-s-new-gun-background-check-law-ends-it-begins

2 hours ago, Backlighting said:

I'm 72 but watch out, I'm 73 in March!

If you pull out your gun in such situations it's with intent to pull the trigger if necessary and kill someone. That is not the time for something else like an internal philosophical-moral debate screwing up your trigger finger.

--Brant

if you Google the thugs you can light candles to these "victims of gun violence"

• 3 months later...

Looks like the anti-gun Google will be pulling all gun related videos from Youtube. There goes all the videos on firearm reviews & maintenance. Terrible.  --J

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/04/06/breaking-youtube-gun-channels-danger-disappearing-forever/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=2017-04-08&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter